Tasty porridge ideas?

Options
lamps1303
lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
I love my morning porridge. I have it everyday on weekdays and some weekends. My favourite is to add cinnamon and raisins. I also like to simply add some jam. I also add low calorie sweetner to add flavour.

I am looking for other ideas that are equally (if not more!) tasty. I take and cook my porridge at work in the microwave so has to be something I can easily prepare.

I have tried it with peanut butter (after seeing a recommendation on here) but it was a little too weird for me!

All ideas would be appreciated.

Replies

• WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I like to take half of a banana, mush it up, and mix it into plain, prepared oatmeal. No additional sweeteners needed. You can add berries, too, if you want. Yum!
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I love fresh blueberries, raspberries, and bananas. Honey is good. I also like to add lower sugar applesauce.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the recipes for oats on this site:
    http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal
  • katdell
    katdell Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my porridge with blueberries and raspberries or banana!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Article in the paper the other day.........

http://www.bobsredmill.com/oatmeal/all-oatmeal-toppings.php

The carrot cake & hang-loose look yummy!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Article in the paper the other day.........

http://www.bobsredmill.com/oatmeal/all-oatmeal-toppings.php

The carrot cake & hang-loose look yummy!

Ooooooooooh. Thanks for that.

I personally like -

Mixed with protein powder
    Nutella
    Apples, cinnamon and brown sugar
    Almond butter and pear
    Almond butter and jelly
    Pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice
    My favorite - cook with 1/2 cup of milk, add 1 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 tbsp of brown sugar - tastes like chocolate fudge!
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of porridge or oatmeal but will give these ideas a shot

1302114480_kid-bad-taste.gif
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    mashed banana and honey through my porridge mmm!
  • Laura87_
    Laura87_ Posts: 12
    Options
    I add banana to my porridge before cooking it in the microwave. I am lazy and buy flavoured stuff, but you could just copy them by using fresh ingredients?

Maple syrup & nuts
    Raspberries & apple
    Blueberries & cranberries

Or peanut butter & Nutella? PB & jam? Chai powder? Cocoa powder? Chocolate chips and nuts?
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I made risotto using oat bran. You would have to make it ahead on the stove top and then warm it up at work

Sauté 1/2 lb mushrooms thinly sliced in 1 T oil.
    Add 1 cup oat bran and stir
    Add 32 oz broth, and a dash if sherry, and about 1/2 tsp thyme. heat to boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender. Keep stirring until desired texture is reached. Add salt and pepper to taste

I also add onion and garlic. I made this be use my husband hates oat meal, but has high cholesterol. He really likes this
  • DebbieBiff
    Options
    I switched from regular milk to Almond milk. Its lower in cals than skimmed milk but gives my porridge a lovely creamy, nutty flavour. Of course ...if you have a nut allergy its not for you...but I have it every morning and it keeps me full til lunchtime and has helped me lose 42lb since December
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    If you dislike peanut butter but want protein you could beat an egg into your oatmeal. Also consider stone ground oats, the kind that take 20 minutes to cook, but could be reheated in your microwave in 2 minutes. They have an actually chew to them and are less like mush.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Lemon curd is a winner for me - adds a nice tangy zing to it.

Almonds are really nice too - add a bit of sweetener and cinnamon and there's another fab combo.

I also like savoury porridge - just a wee sprinkle of salt. One time my mum made it for me not realising I just wanted sweetener, she'd already put in the salt then added the sweetener. It was actually really nice - mix of sweet and salty.

The sky's the limit when it comes to porridge - check out this website for some more inspiration:smile: :

http://www.theoatmealartist.com/2013/04/50-toppings-to-spruce-up-any-porridge.html
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    I really love this Chinese-inspired breakfast porridge recipe.

It uses sliced ginger, oats, vegetable broth, soy sauce, sesame oil, scallions, poached egg (or tofu, for a vegan replacement), and optional hot sauce.

I referenced this: http://jeanetteshealthyliving.com/2012/11/asian-inspired-savory-oatmeal.html
  • PcchioRun
    Options
    I do the same thing you do! But as well as raisins and cinnamon, I cook apples in it as well. And then like... after the porridge cools down for a bit, I add slices of ripe banana! XD
  • spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats

I make mine the night before, so i can eat at my desk after the swim before work. add in order as below

5g Chia seeds (if you have them)
    40g Oats
    80g Low Fat yogurt (Really into Rachels Vanilla atm)
    70g Almond Milk ( yes yes i know its a liquid but grams is fine when you weigh it)
    Half a scoop of protein powder

STIR

25g Frozen Blueberries
    25g Frozen Raspberries or mango

I use a wide neck thermos flask so just leave out in the kitchen overnight, other use Tupperware and keep it in the fridge.

Its really really tasty.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Lemon curd is a winner for me - adds a nice tangy zing to it.

Almonds are really nice too - add a bit of sweetener and cinnamon and there's another fab combo.

I also like savoury porridge - just a wee sprinkle of salt. One time my mum made it for me not realising I just wanted sweetener, she'd already put in the salt then added the sweetener. It was actually really nice - mix of sweet and salty.

The sky's the limit when it comes to porridge - check out this website for some more inspiration:smile: :

http://www.theoatmealartist.com/2013/04/50-toppings-to-spruce-up-any-porridge.html

This is great - thanks!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I have tried it with peanut butter (after seeing a recommendation on here) but it was a little too weird for me!
    Try half a spoonful of peanut butter with half of honey. Makes it taste alike a Snickers bar, plus you get protein and an instant energy boost!
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    In my porridge I normally have a banana and agave nectar (vegan honey) with a tablespoon of Linwoods Milled Flaxseed, Sunflower, Pumpkin & Sesame Seeds & Goji
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    French toast oatmeal

Use milk
    Add cinnamon and vanilla extract
    When half the liquid is absorbed, beat an egg in the oats (keep mixing), then let simmer for 1-2 minutes
    Add maple syrup