A Cautionary Tale of Christmas Treats

Options
RoadDog
RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
Last night was Cigar Night. All my buddies meet at my house. It was raining, 35 degrees. I built a fire under cover of the deck. Because of the weather, only three guys showed up. Because of the cold, I reationalized, I needed something to warm the inner Road Dog. Nothing pairs with a La Gloria Cubana like Port Wine. Mistake Number One.

As I worked my way through a bottle of Port, my daughter popped out, to put some boxes in the outside fridge. Setting me up for Mistake Number Three.

Guys left about 2 1/2 hours later. After turning off lights outside, tending to the fire, throwing EMPTY Port bottle away, I decide to see what the boxes in the fridge were, setting me up to make Mistake Number Two, which was finding the leftover Ham.

What were in the Boxes? My wife's Holiday chocolates and treats that she gives out as gifts to coworkers.

Anyway, pulled the ham in, couple eggs, serannos, grated cheese, cilantro, green onions, hot sauce; found some flour tortillas. My mental capacity was diminished by the Port, so I made a couple fat breakfast burritos. Delicious. Cracked a second bottle of Port to wash them down.

I wish this were the extent of my bad decisions, but, whilst sitting with my wife and daughter, watching TV, my daughter turns to wife and says, "I'd sure like something sweet." They lock eyes, some sort of telepathic communication passes beween them and daughter launches from couch. I topped of my wine glass in preparation.

Holland comes down with a stack of red boxes all shrink wrapped together. I hand my wife, Jan, my pocket knife. The flips it open, and with the skill of a samarai warrior, slices those boxes open. Plastic wrap goes flying. My wife opens some truffles, has one, passes it to Holland, has one, passes to me. I don't like truffles. Same routine with a couple other boxes of assorted goodies. I don't like any of the treats so far, but I have managed to finish my glass of Port, so I top it off again. All told, Jan and Holland only had about 3 treats each and were sated.

My wife opened another box. Baklava. She takes one, pases; Holland takes one; passes. Mistake Number Three. I take one and don't pass back. Set the box next to my rapidly diminishing SECOND bottle of Port.

Somewhere, with the guidance of two bottles of Port I come up with a plan. Eat all the Baklava and end the madness in one evening.

That is exactly what I did. Ate a whole freaking box of Baklava and drank two bottle of Port. Don't forget about the burritos.

Surprisingly, it didn't show on the scale this morning, but I know it will eventually. Going to try and do some damage control today. Lot's of water, cut back on the calories.

Merry Christmas.

Replies

• mmellor
    mmellor Posts: 146
    Options
    Hi There!!

I loved your story, I can so relate as I'm sure so many others can as well!! The day is over and today is a new beginning...the trouble is when we continue with those patterns and weeks pass by and we gain all the weight we lost, back!

Have a powerful day!

Merry Christmas!
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Too funny Road Dog, we've all been there (well, at least I have). :laugh:

Even though I can drink a surprising amount for my size, my saving grace would have been with the alcohol content of a nice port, I would have been asleep before the second bottle was opened.

The evening will catch up with you and you will deal with it when it does. Sounds worth it to me though... :wink:

Sue
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    Hahahahahahaha!!! Sounds like you had a good night. Now, I want a breakfast burrito.
  • donnak7
    donnak7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Loved this story.... I really want some baklava right now. I LOVE it. And port wine.... delicious! I can understand the temptation.
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Great story! I think family/friends company mixed with sweet treats get the best of us!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    How's the head today, RoadDog? :wink:
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    RoadDog, your posts frequently make me smile :happy: or laugh :laugh: Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • RoadDog
    Options

Amazingly, I think I am suffering more from the sugar than the alcohol. Also feeling like a dumb@ss.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options

Amazingly, I think I am suffering more from the sugar than the alcohol. Also feeling like a dumb@ss.

Oh, pish. The only Dumbasses are the ones who go through life as if never blowing it out once and a while will somehow keep them alive forever. No foul. Anyways - that has honey and nuts in it - virtual health food. And port is made from fruit :drinker:
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Awww ! I hope your feeling better now, if it's any consultation you probably just gave your metabolism a HUGE shock. That sounds like my Saturday, some old friends wanted to go play pool, and I agreed, knowing full well that my daily calories were almost used up and I'd have to be careful. While we were there I decided seeing as everyone else is drinking and I'm not, that justifies a caramel latte. So I went down to the little cafe beneath the bar and came back with said latte and a massive raspberry scone, rationing to myself that I'd only eat a little bit and share it around. After that was gone I decided screw it, I did 2 hours of dance and bootcamp classes earlier, I'm just gonna go in on ONE pitcher with my friends. Which turned into 3 pitchers, and 12oz burger, and a HUGE serving of sweet potato fries. I came home and calculated my calories and I was over 3000.

Oh welllllll, learn, move on, and dance a little more this week =)
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Love the way you told that! Eh, hang in there and make good decisions today, you will be totally fine!! lol
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Love it! :laugh:

Sounds like a Harry and David tower of treats, the last one I got (from work) also had "moose munch" in it... not sure how it disappeared so quick... :blushing:
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options

Oh, pish. The only Dumbasses are the ones who go through life as if never blowing it out once and a while will somehow keep them alive forever. No foul. Anyways - that has honey and nuts in it - virtual health food. And port is made from fruit :drinker:

Don't forget the antioxidants in the grapes!! :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • RoadDog
    Options

I like the way you think.
  • wey1983
    wey1983 Posts: 109
    Options
    This was the best post I've read in awhile! It made me smile merely because I can relate! Who can resist the temptation of food, family and por?! Hey, at least you had a good night and went to bed happy :)