Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys
    well my net for the day is 560 or so..

So could I afford to eat a snicker
    or is that a HUGEEEEEE NONO

You should be netting AT LEAST 1200 calories a day.

Someone your size could easily eat 2000 calories a day and still lose weight.

Why are you only netting 560 calories?

You are eating way too little for the amount of calories you burn through exercise.

How tall are you?
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    I know this doesn't work for everyone but I have found something that works for me because I am the same way. No matter what, I always felt like I was starving at the end of the day even though I really wasn't. I have always been a night snacker.

Recently I kinda fell into intermittent fasting. I kept pushing more and more calories to the end of the day and finally got to the point where I was ONLY eating at night. Basically I don't eat all day and then at 8pm when my bf gets off work we just gorge. It is awesome. I'll have my coffee in the morning, do a fasted workout, have an under 200 calorie snack then have a HUGE dinner. Sometimes it's hard to eat enough calories.

This obviously isn't for everyone but it has changed dieting for me forever. This is something I can sustain for the rest of my life (besides maybe active days out) to keep my weight in check. I will admit the first week I felt hungry all day long. The second week was better but still tough at times. After that I'm no longer hungry during the day. Your body doesn't care about when you get your calories.

Most people eat all day but I know myself well enough to save it for nighttime :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys

You are eating way too little for the amount of calories you burn through exercise.

How tall are you?

was hoping someone would catch that.

or maybe this is a confusion of terms/typo issue.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Please eat above your BMR and then you will be healthier and be able to stick to this much longer. Eat the snickers and find some healthy foods tomorrow. Do some research and set yourself up for success. You don't have to cut out your favorite snacks, just get lots of nutrient rich foods so you won't be so hungry for unhealthy food and eat fewer calories than you burn (most of what you burn will be by just being alive, not through exercise). Good luck.

Edit for typo
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys

How tall are you?

I don't think it's a typo! I looked at her diary and her total calories for today were 1385. She burned 827 through exercise. That's a net of 558 calories. YIKES!

She just added 296 calories worth of snickers… bringing her up to 1681 calories for today.
  • alexflynn011
    alexflynn011 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Lack of food --> BINGE
  • ncgingerich
    ncgingerich Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys

Your net for the day being that low could stifle your weight loss. You need to be eating back enough of your exercise calories for your net to be high enough that you actually lose rather than alter your metabolism so you end up not losing or worse gaining. I try to make sure my net is at least 1100. Another thing... An occasional candy bar won't hurt in my opinion.... Everything in moderation is a good philosophy to have. Best of luck!
  • bigmamabird
    bigmamabird Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm a nighttime snacker too! My go-tos are Popcorn, a piece of fruit or hummus and veggies. If you like to snack at night, by all means, do. But give yourself healthy, filling choices.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys

How tall are you?

I don't think it's a typo! I looked at her diary and her total calories for today were 1385. She burned 827 through exercise. That's a net of 558 calories. YIKES!

She just added 296 calories worth of snickers… bringing her up to 1681 calories for today.
    Oy...back awayyyy from the snickers. Not a healthy snack if you want to lose:/
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys

How tall are you?

Oy...back awayyyy from the snickers. Not a healthy snack if you want to lose:/

Absolutely nothing wrong with a snickers bar. Stop food shaming. If she's eaten fruit, vegetables and lean meats she can have a Snickers or cake or cookies guilt free.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    As said already, you need to keep your net up to at least 1200.
    It is not a case of, the less I eat the more I lose... more likely you will either end up going on a massive binge eventually or you will simply hit a wall, totally.
    I snack on nuts, hard boiled eggs, dark chocolate, greek yoghurt, seeds, fresh fruit, roasted chickpeas and sometimes a piece of goats cheese.
    If it is the weekend, I allow some cake, or ice cream, or chocolate as an extra.

If I can, at 138Ibs, lose weight eating a net of 1700, you most certainly at almost 400Ibs, can lose eating at least the same.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Hey. its day 3. eat the snickers.

You can't honestly expect to not ever have a candy bar again. Just got to learn how to deal both with that, and the late night snacking. You are going to have to start planning snacks and be prepared with a few "emergency rations"
    I used to keep a box of cereal around for when I was desperate.

You are way under your calorie goals, and burning a ton of calories. You can get away with it right now at your current weight/newbie beginnings. its going to catch up with you.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    What I do is in the morning, I plan my food for the day and log it on MFP.

(It usually changes a little throughout the day, but it gives me a good idea if what I can eat when without going over.)

The very first thing I add is my before bedtime salad and orange.

I eat right before bed every single night and it hasn't hurt my weight loss.

I know I am going to do it, and so I just budget calories for it.

Also, eating more and losing at a slower pace will make it more sustainable, and also help prevent that loose skin problem.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Hey guys

Quick stats
    21 years old..

Started MFP 3 days ago.

Usually at night I skype with family and watch movies or play games online on my bed and just relax lights of etc. BUT I ALWAYS ALWAYS had a bag of potatoe chips, bar of chocolate and some sort of pudding next to my bed and I would snack on that all night until it was bed time..

The last 2 nights I was not hungry and exhausted I fell asleep.
    Tonight im feeling growling in my tummy and I want to snack, now i know I can control myself and drink another glass of water
    but is there any way to incorperate a late night snack withouuuuuuut adding the pounds. Not like the chocolate and all of that but just something to nibble on.. or is this a habbit i have got to just get rid of... but at the same time I am thinking to myself no way gf you did not just take a walk or do cardio earlier to snack..

advice

thanks guys

Snacks kill me... it's hard for me to control the portions if I'm really hungry. In fact, I can safely say that most of my fatness came from snacks.

You're probably hungry if your stomach is growling. If you're really hungry, then eat a small meal. For example, I try to eat a simple low calorie meal like hearty soup and a bowl of steamed leafy greens like collards or kale -- very easy to make. I'm up late right now studying for a midterm and just ate a bowl of Bob's Red Mill 10-grain cereal with a chopped apple. I feel totally full now for less than 300 calories plus took in some nutrition.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I too am a late night slacker. ....
    I found it helpful to only snack on protein or veggies that are low on the glycemic scale. ...in my mind I tell myself that at lead I will not be dumping sugar in my system and not working it off
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much,

I am definetly trying to get closer to net and once I do my new haul of groceries I am going to stalk my house with the good stuff and snacks. Only things that will nourish me.

And the occasionalll snicker lol.

thanks all
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Didint see there was a second page! lol yes I know my net was wayyyyy to low. I have been upping it, am going to start bagging my snacks in little baggys so i know the portion sizes for me. I am just getting started so I ofcourse have the mind frame that if i eat less i lose more. But you guys are so right it will just slow me down! so heres to eating more but better stuff :)

Thanks everyone for the massive support