The feeling of not wanting to go run :(

Options
I plan to start today an as my work day is coming close to an end I really not feeling it. :( I know if I don't it will be the same thing tomorrow. I also know when I started it before I felt awesome after I left. So y the feel of talking myself into not going? N how do I get past feeling that way.

Replies

• lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Go anyway.
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You have to fight through it if you want to be fit or achieve your goal. There is a sacrifice to make to get to where you hope to be. If you don't run tonight, walk briskly for 2-3 miles. But the bottom line is for you to WANT IT - once you have this... walking, running, weightlifting, etc will be part of your everyday routine. Good luck.
  • hollykirsten
    hollykirsten Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The hardest step for a runner is the first one out the door. When I find that I am having a really hard time getting motivated to run I don't make up my mind just yet but I go and put on my workout clothes. Once I've done that I find that 90% of the time I go out to run. I don't know why putting on my work out clothes pushes me to do it but it works for me! Also, I tell myself it doesn't even have to be a fast run. But even a slow run is better than no run at all. Then I get out there and start out slow and usually by the time I am done Ive worked myself up to my normal pace! So go throw on some close and go out for a NICE EASY run. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve!
  • lauramblair
    lauramblair Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I totally get it. There are lots of days I want to roll back over when my 5am alarm goes off to run.. But I have to say, I have NEVER ONCE regretted going out and knocking out my run. Push through! Fight for it!
  • snwills32
    snwills32 Posts: 15
    Options
    I don't feel like it either.... But I am heading out in five minutes to do it anyway :)
  • marathon_44
    marathon_44 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think it is a pretty well accepted truism that no one ever regrets going for a run once you get out the door. Every runner has those days when you'd rather just sit on the couch. Go anyway, you'll feel infinitely better for it.

As an alternative, if you "aren't feeling it" because you are bored by running or genuinely hate it, try something new. Check out a free intro visit at a local gym. Check out a youtube workout video. Jump rope. Just move.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Simple: Just go.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    At the risk of being a cliche, just do it.

Don't think about running. Just put your running gear on. Then, don't think about it, just walk outside. Take the first step. Keep thinking about excuses for not doing it as the miles click by. Before you know it you're done.

Repeat.
  • Oldtimer_65
    Options
    At the risk of being a cliche, just do it.

Don't think about running. Just put your running gear on. Then, don't think about it, just walk outside. Take the first step. Keep thinking about excuses for not doing it as the miles click by. Before you know it you're done.

Repeat.

+1
  • lauramblair
    lauramblair Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    How do you feel in the middle of a run? Do you not want to go because you hate it? Have a hard time getting through it?

I used to think that I hated running. Turns out I was just doing the wrong thing WHILE I was running. Listening to music just did not cut it for me. I found myself thinking about when it would be over. Then I discovered the joy of listening to audiobooks or podcasts while I run. It makes my mind focus on and think about something else, and I hardly think about "when is it done?" - the next thing I know, 8 miles have clicked by. Try changing up your listening material.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The hardest step for a runner is the first one out the door. When I find that I am having a really hard time getting motivated to run I don't make up my mind just yet but I go and put on my workout clothes. Once I've done that I find that 90% of the time I go out to run. I don't know why putting on my work out clothes pushes me to do it but it works for me! Also, I tell myself it doesn't even have to be a fast run. But even a slow run is better than no run at all. Then I get out there and start out slow and usually by the time I am done Ive worked myself up to my normal pace! So go throw on some close and go out for a NICE EASY run. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve!

This! Putting on my workout clothes makes a huge difference for me! That and if I prelog my workout here or even just on the calendar I feel like I HAVE to get it done. I can edit the pace or whatever later if I have to. Go get 'em, Tiger!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I always make myself go for 15 minutes. If after 15 minutes I still feel the same, I stop. Every time I have gone on to finish my scheduled workout.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

+1 This is so me as well! It's amazing what putting on the clothes does for my attitude about wanting to go run.
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    This is the exact reason I wake up at 4:45 am to go work out. After work I am pooped!

Just promise yourself that you'll go for 15 minutes, or one mile, or one lap. I bet once you get going you'll want to keep going.

Good luck!
  • chelseafisher5648
    chelseafisher5648 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank You all I was really needing the support and so often I chose not to post on topics or ask questions because I have read ppl that do and they get responses that are mean. Everything I read was supportive and helpful. I am leaving work an going to run. :)
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I always think of how great I feel after my run and that gets me out the door. Go - you'll be glad you did.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Glad you got good responses and are going to run. Just thought I'd chime in and say that you won't always want to run. Some days you'll really want to stay in bed, or sit on the couch, or have a glass of wine instead. Don't beat yourself up over that feeling, its very common. The key is to just make this time non-negotiable. For me, I have a running schedule, and that is as set in stone as my work schedule (barring injury, sickness, or circumstance beyond my control). Now, this doesn't mean that running is joyless and work-like, just that I treat it as important to my life as going to work and paying my bills (because I love it so much). This way, on days when I don't want to do it, skipping still isn't an option. I just get up and do it, because I've trained myself to. I almost always enjoy it once I'm out there. Hope this helps!
  • Southernsass6885
    Southernsass6885 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    No one does it cause it's easy. It's a challenge. Period. I just got done traveling for work and ran for the first time since Saturday. To be honest, I've never felt worse. But I DO NOT regret one second of my workout. I'm proud I did it and know I'll try harder next time. I don't think anyone ever regrets doing a workout. Besides, the night will pass by, and you could sit, relax, and do nothing because you weren't "feeling" it. OR...you could workout anyway, knowing that you tried.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I can't really recall a single time when I actually wanted to go run. But I'm almost through the C25K program and am so glad I forced my stubborn self to do it!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Have you ever regretting going on a run? Didn't think so. Next caller....