juicing question

Options
i love juicing, but when i do it - i pretty much just mix everything that i have available into one juice. to me, it tastes great this way, and i like to think that i'm getting the most vitamins out of doing it like this. but i notice most people do specific recipes. is this for tastes sake, or is there nutritional benefit to not mixing everything together?

thanks for your help :)

Replies

• ciki90
    ciki90 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It's mainly just so that you don't end up with a disgusting concoction of juice... I just recently started juicing and it does help to have recipes so that something doesn't come out too bitter or spicy. Personally, I just do 1-2 fruits, 2-3 veggies, and 1 herb or spice and that almost always works out well.

Alsooo, have you been saving your juicer pulp?! Lots of good recipes out there to use up all that nutrition :)
  • juicing101blog
    Options
    You want to make sure you are getting different fruits and vegetable daily. You don't want to end up having the same thing every day. There are so many different juice recipes out there.

Check out my blog for some great recipes:
    http://juicing101.info/
  • erickbrian
    erickbrian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i love juicing, but when i do it - i pretty much just mix everything that i have available into one juice. to me, it tastes great this way, and i like to think that i'm getting the most vitamins out of doing it like this. but i notice most people do specific recipes. is this for tastes sake, or is there nutritional benefit to not mixing everything together?

thanks for your help :)

Well, you've got juicing, you've got blending, and you've got smoothies.

1. Juicing = Strictly juice. No fiber. Good for nutrition and getting your DV of vitamins. Typically you can get a sugar spike from the lack of fiber.

2. Blending = Juicing + adding in fresh greens into a blender to provide a thick juice with fiber. Less of a sugar spike, less crashing, better for digestion and absorption of nutrients.

3. Smoothies = I make this with fresh fruit and protein powders typically. Great for breakfast, has a lot of sugars, so I don't need coffee in the morning anymore. You can also make 'green' smoothies, and add in some power greens into a smoothie.

THE IMPORTANCE OF RECIPES
    Some fruits and vegetables will not mix well. It will cause fermentation in your belly, and could lead to bloating and gas. You won't like it, unless it's already happened and you're getting used to it.

Also because of the flavors, but sometimes you might want to avoid mixing too many sugars into a juice or too much sodium. But mainly it's avoiding gas/bloating/etc.
  • SwampWitch666
    SwampWitch666 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    ^Bookmarking for that comment.