Healthy Snacks

Options
Ok so for snacks everyday I've been eating apples with peanut butter or carrots, celery, or snow peas with homemade Hummus, I'm getting tired of these snacks, does anyone know other snacks I could eat that are low calorie/ healthy and would fill me up? And are not too expensive? :smile: Anything would help! Thanks!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs
    Handful of nuts
    Handful of seeds
    Fruit
    Cheese
    Yogurt (plain, sweeten it yourself if you need "flavor" otherwise they are added-sugar bombs)

Nuts aren't low cal but a serving will keep you satiated for a while. Also, you can find some lower cal cheeses, like Laughing Cow Light, Cabot Light Slices, or string cheese that still taste good, even with reduced calories.
  • Courtney066
    Options
    Thank you! These sound awesome!
  • Fitnesstracker2234
    Options
    This is helpful:

http://www.dietitians.ca/Nutrition-Resources-A-Z/Factsheets/Healthy-Eating---General/Healthy-Snacks-for-Adults.aspx

I find that the best snacks are a combination of a protein and either a fruit, vegetable, or grain. If you just have fruit on its own, your blood sugar will sky rocket and you'll have energy quickly, but be hungry again quickly.

My favourites are:
    - plain air-popped popcorn (around 31 cals for 1 cup)
    - brown rice rice cake with 1 tbsp peanut butter (100% peanuts, no salt**) and a few banana slices
    - some greek yogurt with berries sprinkled on it
    - veggies and humus
    - kale chips (home-made - so easy), recipes online
    - roasted chick peas (home-made - also easy), recipes online
    - edamame
    - cheese and an apple
    - apple with cinnamon
    - applesauce warmed in the microwave with a sprinkling of granola and cinnamon (like a mini apple crumble!
    I also enjoy having a cup of herbal tea with my snacks, it helps fill me up and adds to my daily water intake.
  • Courtney066
    Options
    Thanks! those sound sssoo good, I'm totally going to try these :)
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I do string cheese, fiber 1 bar, bagel thin with cream cheese, mini rice cakes (the sweet chili ones are amazing!), little bit of chocolate, couple of mandarin oranges, bananas, hard boiled eggs, beef jerky, ice cream

The list goes on but really it depends on what macros (and sometimes micros) I need to fill.