Stopped losing weight? :(

Options
So, my goal was to lose 30 pounds, and I lost 20 in aproximatedly 4 months, but over the past month I seem to be stuck...
Should I lower my calories? I'm already at 1200...
I used to go to the gym 3 times a week but I started feeling very weak.. like getting dizzy and agitated at the slightest physical activity. That doesn't happen anymore, am I eating too much again? Or should I continue eating my calories but start going to the gym again?
Anyone can think of another reason why this would happen?

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I might actually suggest the opposite: INCREASE your calorie range a bit and see what happens. You may have been getting dizzy at the gym because you're not eating ENOUGH. It happens to a lot of people, myself included! I found that I plateau'd on 1,200 calories and once I increased to about 1,400 I started losing again.

Why not try that for two weeks and then reassess?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Definitely wouldn't decrease - as you get closer to goal you actually need a smaller calorie deficit and as PinkCoconut said, you might consider increasing cals.

But hard to offer advice without knowing more about you - height, weight, workouts, and an open diary would make it easier. :smile:

And I wouldn't say that NOT getting dizzy and agitated is a sign of eating too much - you should not be in a place where activity and/or low cal intake makes you feel that way, those are warning signs. :tongue:
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Before you go ahead and increase your caloried, first find out if you're actually eating 1200 calories.

Unless you are weighing all solids and measuring your liquids properly you may be eatting more than you think.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    My guess is that the calorie deficit you currently have now is likely too low and you're plateauing. Calorie restriction works great to a certain point, then, for some people, their body shuts down if it's in starvation mode. Increasing 200 calories/day is a good idea (especially protein if you're lacking in that). Two other options to help break through a plateau are introducing heaving lifting into your regime if you're not already doing it as well as weekly or semi-weekly sprint sessions (look into HIIT training for more). Best of luck!
  • angelicacastillejos
    Options
    Don't decrease. Feeling dizzy is a sign you have to eat more. If you keep lowering your calorie intake it'll make you feel horrible and unhealthy. Also once you start eating more than the low calorie intake you'll gain everything back. I personally think 1,200 is too low if you feel dizziness.