High Heart Rate workout necessary for weight loss?

Options
So i have been using the body media link monitor for the last couple of weeks, and this is what i found.

60 Minute enjoyable brisk walk with my wife -- 400 calories --- suspected heart rate 130-140

60 Minute on the elliptical working my *kitten* off and sweating like a pig --- 430 --- heart rate range 150-160

So at this point i am not sure why should i do the elliptical when it is so hard on my knees and my right hip (i have a bad hip). Can i just do simple stuff like walking and eating right and lose weight? Then why do people do so much cardio.

Is losing weight seriously a simple math of calories in vs calories out? why do i find it so hard to believe. Maybe because if have not been able to lose considerable weight easily all my life ..

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Amit

Replies

• DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    It is all about calories in vs calories out.

I lost the first 1/3 to 1/2 of this weight without exercising one little bit. If you can get your calories consistently at goal, then you will lose. The exercise will come.

Honestly the calorie burns for all these different exercises confuses me as well. That's why I focus mainly on my food. Since I've started losing weight, I've incorporated exercise into my daily routine (amazing how losing 20lbs will make your joints hurt less); now I'm up to 5x per week.

I then eat back about 1/2 to 2/3 of my exercise calories, depending on how much I've been doing.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    As far as weight loss, all that matters is calorie balance (calories in - calories out). It doesn't matter how you burn your calories. The heart rate comes in to play when you're talking about cardiovascular health. The more you get your heart rate up, the more you can condition your cardiovascular system.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    High end cardio is good for cardiovascular health. That's why (sane) people do it.
  • erickbrian
    erickbrian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Does that thing even track your HR?

I know lower intensity workouts can sometimes burn more fat, but hi intensity intervals really burn calories and get fast results.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

I know lower intensity workouts can sometimes burn more fat, but hi intensity intervals really burn calories and get fast results.

Lower intensity workouts do not burn more fat, they burn a higher PERCENTAGE of fat, but high intensity workouts still burn a higher AMOUNT of fat.
  • amsharma_ak
    amsharma_ak Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Lower intensity workouts do not burn more fat, they burn a higher PERCENTAGE of fat, but high intensity workouts still burn a higher AMOUNT of fat.

What do you mean higher percentage of fat vs higher amount of fat? I am a little confused..
  • amsharma_ak
    amsharma_ak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It does not track my heart rate but the machine does . SO i used that.
  • CLessOfMe2014
    Options
    I have been dieting 4 weeks & lost 2 pounds per week & have been feeling good----Now this week I started excersizing each day I feel like a wrung out dish rag. My husband works out much more intensly & sweats like a pig, he feels invigerated the rest of the day, Why??????
  • hamzapowerlifts
    Options
    yea, its all about calories in and out, but I would use strength training also, and if the elliptical is bothering you then dont use it.
  • dburkhol
    dburkhol Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Higher heart rate = higher # of calories burned.

Lower heart rate = your body uses stored fat as the fuel for calorie burn.
    Higher heart rate = your body uses glycogen stored in your muscels for fuel.

If you want to target fat loss, exercise in heart rate zones 1 and 2. Up to about 75% max heart rate.