Green Smoothie Suggestions

Options
Hi! Thank you for taking the time to read this! I am attempting to make my first "green smoothie" or green monster tomorrow. I am officially starting my dedicated lifestyle change. What are some low calorie smoothie options. I am thinking-
Adding PB2 (45 calories)
Almond Milk (40)
Blueberries (40)
Spinach (20)
Greek Yogurt (80)
That puts me at roughly 225 calories or so! Do you have any thoughts of good, yet low calorie smoothie options?
Thanks!

Replies

• gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My favourite smoothie is: 1 frozen banana, 1 pear, about 1/2 c frozen blueberries, tons of spinach, and a bit of water. It's roughly 250-300 calories and its pure goodness.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I use coconut water at times 30 calories
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I just make a green shot using this Paradise Greens and cold water, with a little added stevia. Easy and I really like the taste.
    http://paradiseherbs.com/products/orac-energy-greens/
  • My favourite smoothie is: 1 frozen banana, 1 pear, about 1/2 c frozen blueberries, tons of spinach, and a bit of water. It's roughly 250-300 calories and its pure goodness.

Do you find that spinach has a taste? Also, does the water make it kind of gross tasting because it does not mask the spinach? Sorry, I am new to this!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    My current favorite is half a banana, half of a large pear, some blueberries, a cup of vanilla almond milk and a handful of baby kale. Looks like toxic waste...but tastes yummy. Pear, avocado, almond milk, spinach and a tiny bit of coconut oil is great too. You don't taste the greens...which is good, since I don't like kale by itself. In a smoothie..no problem! Lots of nutrition!
  • Kimmers411
    Kimmers411 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    https://www.vitamix.com/Find-Recipes/Search?sort=NAME&cat=Smoothies

I have a vitamix blender, and their website has all kinds of good smoothie recipes.
  • jenniferwv87
    jenniferwv87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have to have a banana in it. The banana is the one thing that makes it taste good to me. I add green apple, frozen berries/peaches/pineapples. Spinach (fresh or frozen) and skim milk. Sometimes I will add in PB/yogurt but I am mainly doing the smoothie to get some fruit/spinach into my diet. I make my husband one with milk/PB/chocolate syrup/frozen banana…..he is in more of a "bulking" phase than I am….
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I can add a good amount of spinach to any of my smoothies and not notice that it adds any taste. Here are some of my smoothies, off the top of my head. (Yes, I make them so often that I remember the calorie counts, too.)

All of these recipes work in a single serve blender and work out to make about 16 oz.

Strawberry kiwi smoothie
    1 cup frozen strawberry halves (49 cal)
    1 whole kiwi (42 cal) — Fresh is best, kiwis don't freeze particularly well in my experience
    1/4 cup banana (33 cal)
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk, regular or vanilla (40 cal)
    2 soaked dates (46 cal) or sweeten to taste
    1 cup spinach (7 cal)

Piña colada smoothie
    1 cup frozen pineapple chunks (82 cal)
    1 cup coconut water (80 cal)
    1 cup spinach (7 cal)
    The pineapple and coconut water are sweet enough on their own, so I don't sweeten this one.

Orange creamsicle smoothie
    1 cup frozen orange chunks (85 cal)
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk, regular works but vanilla is best (40 cal)
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract (6 cal) or to taste
    1 cup spinach (7 cal)
    Sweeten to taste. (I'll pop 0-2 soaked dates in depending on my mood for this one.)

Orange-pineapple smoothie
    1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks (41 cal)
    1/2 cup frozen orange chunks (43 cal)
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk, regular or vanilla, but again vanilla works best (40 cal)
    1 cup spinach (7 cal)
    I don't bother sweetening this one either as ripe pineapple is plenty sweet.

Cocoa-maca malted chocolate shake smoothie
    1 cup frozen blueberries (85 cal)
    1 tbsp cocoa powder (20 cal)
    1-2 tbsp maca root powder (20-40 cal) — Great for energy and concentration, adds that malted flavour
    1 cup spinach (7 cal) — The chocolate flavour will cover more bitter greens if you want to add kale as well. I do.
    Sweeten to taste, definitely needed to sweeten the cocoa
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I can add a good amount of spinach to any of my smoothies and not notice that it adds any taste. Here are some of my smoothies, off the top of my head. (Yes, I make them so often that I remember the calorie counts, too.)

All of these recipes work in a single serve blender and work out to make about 16 oz.

Strawberry kiwi smoothie
    1 cup frozen strawberry halves (49 cal)
    1 whole kiwi (42 cal) — Fresh is best, kiwis don't freeze particularly well in my experience
    1/4 cup banana (33 cal)
    2 soaked dates (46 cal) or sweeten to taste
    1 cup spinach (7 cal)

Piña colada smoothie
    1 cup frozen pineapple chunks (82 cal)
    1 cup coconut water (80 cal)
    1 cup spinach (7 cal)
    The pineapple and coconut water are sweet enough on their own, so I don't sweeten this one.

Orange creamsicle smoothie
    1 cup frozen orange chunks (85 cal)
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk, regular works but vanilla is best (40 cal)
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract (6 cal) or to taste
    1 cup spinach (7 cal)
    Sweeten to taste. (I'll pop 0-2 soaked dates in depending on my mood for this one.)

Orange-pineapple smoothie
    1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks (41 cal)
    1/2 cup frozen orange chunks (43 cal)
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk, regular or vanilla, but again vanilla works best (40 cal)
    1 cup spinach (7 cal)
    I don't bother sweetening this one either as ripe pineapple is plenty sweet.

Cocoa-maca malted chocolate shake smoothie
    1 cup frozen blueberries (85 cal)
    1 tbsp cocoa powder (20 cal)
    1-2 tbsp maca root powder (20-40 cal) — Great for energy and concentration, adds that malted flavour
    1 cup spinach (7 cal) — The chocolate flavour will cover more bitter greens if you want to add kale as well. I do.
    Sweeten to taste, definitely needed to sweeten the cocoa

All of those sound delicious and gives me some good ideas!

I make mine with banana, frozen berries, or pineapple, flax seed or peanut butter, protein powder, cottage cheese OR Greek yogurt, and spinach. Delicious. Check some of my combos in my diary. Haven't had one in a few days as I get tired of them daily.
  • Great, thank you for all the suggestions!
  • burns429
    burns429 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    http://simplegreensmoothies.com/

this site has a TON of recipes. I use it when I want to mix up the regular strawberry/banana smoothie.

My favorite green is kale, the flavor "seems" to be sweeter, with mixed berries (raspberry and blueberries and a little strawberry).
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I do...

1 cup fat free milk
    1 serving chocolate protein powder
    .5 tbsp coconut oil
    1 tbsp chia seeds
    1 banana
    2 cups spinach or kale
    (sometimes 1 tbsp peanut butter!)