Getting in shape for a wedding?

Options
Anybody out there trying to get in shape for a wedding coming up this year? Either your own wedding, or if you are part of someone else's? I am the MOH at my brother's wedding in July and I am trying to make sure I look fabulous in my dress ;-) I would love to chat with you and see what you are doing and what is working so far!

Replies

• I am actually preparing for two weddings this year. My sister in getting married end of April and my sister in law in September. I am working with a trainer (2x a week for 3 weeks. Now bumping up to 3x a week). Then I hit my local gym the other days with 1 day off.

I purposely ordered my bridesmaid dress a little too small to make sure I worked my tush off (literally). So far the scale hasn't moved much but I can feel changes. The weight seems to be re-distributing if that makes sense.

My trainer told me to stop worrying about the scale because the workouts he has me doing will build muscle. Gotta build the muscle before I burn the fat. I know this is true. Yet I feel a wee deflated when I weigh in and I don't see that dang number budging!

Tomorrow is my weigh in/monthly measurements day so I am hoping to see something. Anything!
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I am getting married in September and trying to lose as much as I can before then. I work out most mornings before work, and then longer workouts on the weekends. I am going to have to change it up though, the ones I have been doing just aren't getting my heart rate up enough anymore. So at least my stamina has improved :laugh:
  • nicole061488
    nicole061488 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What are you ladies doing as far as nutrition?
  • nicole061488
    Options
    I am actually preparing for two weddings this year. My sister in getting married end of April and my sister in law in September. I am working with a trainer (2x a week for 3 weeks. Now bumping up to 3x a week). Then I hit my local gym the other days with 1 day off.

I purposely ordered my bridesmaid dress a little too small to make sure I worked my tush off (literally). So far the scale hasn't moved much but I can feel changes. The weight seems to be re-distributing if that makes sense.

My trainer told me to stop worrying about the scale because the workouts he has me doing will build muscle. Gotta build the muscle before I burn the fat. I know this is true. Yet I feel a wee deflated when I weigh in and I don't see that dang number budging!

Tomorrow is my weigh in/monthly measurements day so I am hoping to see something. Anything!

Would love to hear how your measurements go today! Are you doing anything different as far as nutrition goes?
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    What are you ladies doing as far as nutrition?

I am doing the 17 day diet... which I don't even feel is actually a diet. Just retraining myself to get back to eating healthy and with a deficit. Because you can eat unlimited protein and vegetables I'm never hungry, yet have lost 12 lbs since I started the "diet" on February 3rd. And this is despite having some cheat days due to "life" (Work functions, bday parties, etc). I am also doing Insanity where I burn 400-500 calories daily 6 days a week.

I've gotten flack on here because it's a "fad diet", but to me it's an achievable way of changing your lifestyle. After you are done the 3 cycles (each are 17 days) you either restart them to continue losing weight or you go to maintenance where you follow your favourite phase of the diet during the week, and allow yourself 3 of your favourite meals on the weekend. Phase 3 is basically eating balanced, (2 whole grain/low glycemic carb servings, 2 fruit, 2 oil servings, 100 calorie low sugar treats, unlimited veg and lean protein) so once I reach my goal weight I will be following this phase during the week.

If you don't want to follow a "diet", at least keep your carbs below 40% and your lean protein up (at least 100g/day if you are working out).
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have been focusing more on portion control than any diet per say. That and getting the workouts in. I don't want to deny myself anything so moderation is the key.
  • Tee_geee
    Tee_geee Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Im actually getting married on April 25th and going to the Bahamas for my honeymoon!!! I've been doing this diet thing for 3 weeks and I'm down 11 pounds.
  • katz6910
    katz6910 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have 2 weddings this year that I want to look fabulous for. Every wedding I've been to I've either been pregnant for or just had a baby so this time I want to feel great about myself. The first is at the end of april and the second is the end of may.

I'm working out 4-5 times a week for an hour or so and I've just started lifting (starting small for now hehe) and eating better and less.
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yay for weddings!!! Although I'm not getting married yet myself, I do have my first ever wedding that I'll be a bridesmaid in on May 17! I am the shortest & chubbiest of all the bridesmaids, and I want to be as confident as possible for the day and pictures! I started beginning of February at 158, and currently at 155. I would LOVE to be at 130 by May, but thinking that may be a bit of a fantasy... So just to lose as much fat and get toned-up as much as possible by May! Maybe be in a bikini for summer (I live in walking distance to a beach!).
  • crystal075
    crystal075 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies. You can do it! Ive always been more a size 8-9 all my life, but for my wedding day I told myself no way! I worked out up to 6xs a week, deficted 500 calories every day straight for 8 months and bought my dress at a size 8, then when it came to alter my dress, I got down to a size 3 1/2! Unfortunately, im back up the scale because I completely stopped working out and watching what i ate. Just dont give up, and remind yourself how wonderful you will look in your pictures for all your hard work!!!
  • nicole061488
    Options
    Wow I love seeing others with weddings coming up! If you want, feel free to add me as a friend - we can do this together!! :-)

Keep up the hard work everyone!
  • Measurements went ok. I lost a bit. An inch on my thighs (I guess squats aren't in fact evil). Not much on the waist but I did lose 2.4 pounds so I am pretty happy.

Nutrition. I unfortunately am a HORRIBLE cook so I rely a lot on the microwave. I eat between 1600-1900 calories per day depending on what kind of workout I will be doing.

I buy Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice for lunch and dinner (sometimes I throw a salad in there). I have a Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich in the morning and have veggies/fruit for snacks throughout the day.
  • Forthelittlewhitedress170
    Options
    I'm getting married in August and am working towards my goal for July (final fitting!?) I bought my dress January 2013 when I was 177 and it didn't fit then, but it was 1/2 the price, discontinued and unique!! THEN I gained 14 lbs over the year (stressful job) and am working at getting it back off. I'm at 186 right now and am working towards 165, which is a pound a week. I'm working out 3-4x a week (30 min cardio and 30 min strength training) and have cut back on portions and am eating better. Although only down 5 lbs or so, I have had a couple of friends notice some changes in me and my clothes are fitting a little looser, so the gym must be working!! Just gotta stay focused and keep on trucking!!
  • kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My sister in law is getting married in May. Ideally I want to drop 15 pounds before it. I'm watching my calories and macros. Runner so I eat quite a few carbs, and I'm also vegan. Going to add yoga to my routine here soon. :)
  • peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    I'm going to my baby brother's wedding in May. I'm not really trying to lose weight for the day, just tone up a little (however I wouldn't be upset if I lost a kg or two)...Currently I'm weight training, doing the March 30 day plank challenge and just maintaining a healthy diet, with lots of water.

I've already bought my dress to keep me motivated. It's quite figure-hugging, as well as being backless and the material will show any bumps and bulges:

b00482a8-8d5b-4218-b42a-0ead5cbc9490.jpg

dac465f3-52df-4600-a6b1-f27eb1540d54.jpg

**Edited for resizing of pictures**
  • jac_84
    jac_84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Im a MOH for a weddding in June, feel free to friend me if you would like!! :))
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married in a year and a month.

I've been on MyFitnessPal for a couple years, and it's done me a world of good, but having my wedding ahead of me has motivated me to actually get a gym membership instead of just continuing to do yoga, body weight exercises, and hiking alone.

I'm probably going to have a strapless dress, so I've got to whip these shoulders into shape!
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get back in shape for my own wedding in July. I have been on MFP a while and had done really well, but I slacked off and it snuck up on me. Now I have a wedding dress to fit into, so it's time to get back in the game!

Feel free to add me!
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Getting in shape for a June wedding and for hopefully, my own!
  • nikki125
    nikki125 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My brothers wedding is the first week of June. I'm using it as my motivation to start getting this weight off! Lots of working out and low carb diet so far is my plan.