Can you get most ofyour protein from protein shakes?

Options
Meat is getting pretty expensive, can I replace most of it with protein shake, theoretically ?
And still lose fat?

Also I heard that you can eat whatever you want as long as you eat enough protein; you will lose fat.
So does that mean a person can just snack and drink protein shakes all day lol

Replies

• cutahho
    cutahho Posts: 1
    Options
    No
  • 2spooky4u
    Options
    If you eat less than your body needs you will lose weight.

If you strength train while dieting you will lose less muscle.

You can eat whatever you want but its recommended you have a healthy balance of carbs, fats, protein, sugars, sodium etc.

So yes you can drink protein shakes as much as you want to get your desired protein intake
  • andywang27
    andywang27 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Is it possible for me to skip strength training and just get in my protein( too maintain as much muscle as possible)
  • 2spooky4u
    Options
    I don't think so but I'm no expert maybe someone else can shed some light.

The truth is if you don't lift you probably don't have too much muscle to lose so just eating healthy and losing that fat will be a lot better for you.

If you are already pretty lean and want to lose body fat % seriously consider hitting the gym.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    4oz = 2x of protein.
    Tuna has 20g protein
    Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese can add up really quickly.
    Fish has20 grams of protein too
  • andywang27
    andywang27 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How would hitting the gym and calorie deficts work?
  • michael300891
    Options
    For protein: can you get most of your fat from drinking oil? Well of course. Would you want to? Maybe not so much
    Nothing wrong with protein shakes and they do the job. But they are called supplements for a reason. Get most of your protein from eating food, then fill gaps with shakes as you wish.

For the second question. Losing fat requires an energy deficit first and foremost. If you don't have that deficit you won't lose fat. Then you can worry about macros
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    It's always best to get as much of your nutrition from actual food. While adding in some supplements if fine (I do also), real food is better. However, you don't have to eat a super high amount of protein to lose weight. It can help with dropping body fat, but you can certainly eat a good amount of carbs to lose weight, as long as your calorie level is appropriate.

If you want to keep your muscles, you need to work them by doing resistance training.

Allan