Low carb/Low fat ways to increase Calorie intake

Options
Okay, I've noticed I'm always over on my carb or fat intake. I could also just have the wrong macros configured- still haven't figured out what's right for me. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any pointers on how to increase Calorie intake while keeping carbs and fats low.

MFP is telling me to eat near 1600 Cals a day which sounds pretty accurate but I've had trouble with all this macro stuff before which is why I briefly gave up counting in the first place....trying again with high hopes to shed these last few lbs. I was originally being mindful to keep my net carbs down to 100 a day but found that it may still be too much and have reduced it to about 60.

Anyone who's got an opinion/experience- be it positive or negative, with low carbing or even Paleo dieting, hit me up!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Period.

I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums and ignore fat & carbs. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Some lower carb ideas are greek yogurt, cheese, eggs, any kind of meat, fish or poultry, nuts, nut butters, some veggies.

Whether to worry about macros really depends upon your goals. Myself, I have to count carbs for health reasons, so I must eat higher amounts of protein and fats to make up for it. (hence the macros are very important for me) Other people don't have to worry about it much.
  • rhiannondream
    Options
    Thanks guys, I feel that MFP has it at a fair deficit. Last I checked, my body fat % was around 30% and my TDEE is about 2100 so 1590 is perfect. I only keep my carbs low because my family has a history of diabetes on both sides and I may have some resistance (symptoms of PCOS- need to get a check up now that I finally have insurance!) and after doing research on low carb dieting, seems like a good way to lose fat so long as I feed my body other essential nutrients. Protein and fats definitely keep me functioning in the day and power my workouts, maybe I shouldn't be so harsh on fat intake...just feels like I overdo it sometimes with my animal protein sources.