TSFL diet rant

Options
Hello,

A couple of months ago I started Medifast/TSFL.

To be very honest, when I follow the plan 100% I feel crappy. I know the majority of people seem to love this plan, lose tons of weight, and get into that wonderful "fat burn" state where they have tons of energy. That never happened to me. I just feel "off." I know the first few days or week that is to be expected. But this was after 4 weeks of being solidly on plan. Yes I drank all the water, ate all the meals (5&1), was very precise about my Lean & Green and weighed everything. I found when I actually went off plan, eating slightly higher carbs (or maybe it's slightly higher calories - 1200 vs ~ 950) -- I feel so much better.

But my health coach has been trying to tell me that everyone else follows it and feels great and loses tons of weight and implies there must be something wrong with me ("maybe you're pre-diabetic" she said). UGH! I don't care about everyone else. Why do people think that there is ONE right plan for everyone? We're all so different, why would one plan be right for both a 300 lb 30 yo man as well as a 150 lb 50 yo woman? It makes no sense.

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd feel like crap at 950 calories too. I eat 2000 to "diet".
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I would research the 4&2 plan. It's one of the Medifast weight loss plans that allows for more carbs and calories vs. the 5&1 and is often recommended for more active people, or those close to their goal weight. Of course, run these plans and your experience by your doctor, for input.

Also, if you are unhappy with your health coach, look into a replacement. There are so many TSFL coaches, it's not worth spending a lot of time with a coach you don't connect with.

Finally, if you've been on the diet for 2 months and it's still uncomfortable for you and you're not able/willing to change the plan (switch to the 4&2), maybe it's time to consider another plan altogether. I really like Medifast but understand it's not for everyone.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hello,

To be very honest, when I follow the plan 100% I feel crappy. I know the majority of people seem to love this plan, lose tons of weight, and get into that wonderful "fat burn" state where they have tons of energy. That never happened to me. I just feel "off." I know the first few days or week that is to be expected. But this was after 4 weeks of being solidly on plan. Yes I drank all the water, ate all the meals (5&1), was very precise about my Lean & Green and weighed everything. I found when I actually went off plan, eating slightly higher carbs (or maybe it's slightly higher calories - 1200 vs ~ 950) -- I feel so much better.

But my health coach has been trying to tell me that everyone else follows it and feels great and loses tons of weight and implies there must be something wrong with me ("maybe you're pre-diabetic" she said). UGH! I don't care about everyone else. Why do people think that there is ONE right plan for everyone? We're all so different, why would one plan be right for both a 300 lb 30 yo man as well as a 150 lb 50 yo woman? It makes no sense.

I am not an advocate of VLCD or any diet plan that makes some big promises because once you start eating normally you gain weight back.

It's not a wonder you feel crappy with eating so little and having to follow some silly plan and advice of some silly dieting coach.

My advice, if you want it: chuck the plan, chuck the coach, chuck whatever else is connected to that diet, and start all over. Start with MFP by setting up your profile, find out an estimate of the calories to eat to lose weight, and then log, log, log and eat within your calorie goal. I bet you'll feel better.

That coach doesn't know what she's talking about. If you have any medical concerns, you need to talk to your doctor.

The best of luck.
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    "My advice, if you want it: chuck the plan, chuck the coach, chuck whatever else is connected to that diet, and start all over. Start with MFP by setting up your profile, find out an estimate of the calories to eat to lose weight, and then log, log, log and eat within your calorie goal. I bet you'll feel better. "

Love this!!!

And who are the people who feel good on a 950 calorie a day diet? Actual people, or people your weight loss coach tells you about? Theoretical people. Most people feel grouchy and low energy when they are not nourishing their body. This method of dieting is a system set up to fail.

Having said that, I think I have heard that when people starve themselves, sometimes the body releases endorphins to try to cope with the sudden trauma it is experiencing. Maybe that is what is meant by the good feeling you get in the fat burning zone.

Sorry, not trying to be mean or un-understading. But the problem is with the diet, not with your body.
  • jennilsf
    jennilsf Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    walkdmc wrote: »
    I would research the 4&2 plan. It's one of the Medifast weight loss plans that allows for more carbs and calories vs. the 5&1 and is often recommended for more active people, or those close to their goal weight. Of course, run these plans and your experience by your doctor, for input.

Also, if you are unhappy with your health coach, look into a replacement. There are so many TSFL coaches, it's not worth spending a lot of time with a coach you don't connect with.

Finally, if you've been on the diet for 2 months and it's still uncomfortable for you and you're not able/willing to change the plan (switch to the 4&2), maybe it's time to consider another plan altogether. I really like Medifast but understand it's not for everyone.

How do I find a new coach? I've googled it and looked here, but I'm not having much luck. I'm only 1 month in, and my current coach is nice and all, but she isn't much help and we don't "connect". Also, she's given me some answers that I found out from boards and asking others on this plan were probably incorrect. I'm just getting a little frustrated. Where do I look?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    This diet will most likely be as much as a waste of time as that machine in your profile. Use MFP and get real results long term for zero cost.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jennilsf wrote: »

How do I find a new coach? I've googled it and looked here, but I'm not having much luck. I'm only 1 month in, and my current coach is nice and all, but she isn't much help and we don't "connect". Also, she's given me some answers that I found out from boards and asking others on this plan were probably incorrect. I'm just getting a little frustrated. Where do I look?

I don't get this reaction ...why would you want to? The diet plan sounds like an exercise in lomg-term failure and you personally felt terrible on it

The calories are too low, pre-packaged food sounds like an expensive, and not as good, version of eating food you love to a calorie defecit and learning about portions and choices

And you're throwing money away

Have you tried doing MFP properly?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Is the problem that you already paid a lot of money for it?
    Think of it as a sunk cost and get out.
    Drop it and move on to anything else.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    To the OP: I suspect your health coach has a financial interest in this diet plan. Chuck all the short term fixes. Set up your MFP to lose at whatever rate you desire. I recommend no more than a pound a week (but that's just me) then stay within calorie limits. Add some exercise and wait. If you don't see any movement in your weight after six weeks re-assess. I never weighted or measured my food but it is highly recommended here. This method takes a bit longer than the fast fads but is lasting because it teaches you a healthy lifestyle.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    "Health coach"? Is that like a Beachbody "coach"? Coach = bad and sleazy salesperson?

See a doctor for your health. Try MFP for your calories. Dump the "coach" yesterday if not sooner. :)
  • jennilsf
    edited December 2014
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I don't get this reaction ...why would you want to? The diet plan sounds like an exercise in lomg-term failure and you personally felt terrible on it

The calories are too low, pre-packaged food sounds like an expensive, and not as good, version of eating food you love to a calorie defecit and learning about portions and choices

Yes, several years ago I used MFP in it's entirety while calorie counting, high protein, low glycemic diet in conjunction with exercise and lost 100 lbs. I was healthy, the most fit I had ever been in my life, and maintained it until the past couple of years of my 30's. I have gained a good potion back despite playing with macros and fitness variations. I've been meticulous in going back to what I did before, getting back to those good habits, but... virtually no change but negative ones such as extreme fatigue and general frustration. My doctor says my body has changed and I need even more calorie restriction. I don't feel comfortable trying to do that SAFELY on my own, so I'm using a well-documented plan that forces me to control my portions and choices. While I'm not totally comfortable describing all this to you and realize we're discussing a plan that you aren't familiar with and don't agree with, I really do appreciate your feedback and respect your opinion about healthy weight loss as I share the same ideals, however at this stage of my life, all I can tell you is that this alternative method of getting the weight off is simple, effective, and I feel none of the "feeling bad" that some report, and for me it is affordable. I feel energized, upbeat, and have regained some of my confidence- it's working for me, and it is also my choice. My personal plan is to get the bulk of this unhealthy weight back off and at that point to work with a personal trainer/nutritionist to learn what my body needs to maintain that loss at this stage of my life.

Health coaches don't sell anything as each person is already selecting and buying our products on our own- they just provide support, encouragement, and answer questions regarding goals and acceptable food choices for the meal that we have to make ourselves. I replied because I, too, have had some issues communicating with my coach and would like to find one that is more interactive and attentive- that's all. I think I may have made a mistake asking for help here. I'll try to find the help I need elsewhere.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Yes, several years ago I used MFP in it's entirety while calorie counting, high protein, low glycemic diet in conjunction with exercise and lost 100 lbs. I was healthy, the most fit I had ever been in my life, and maintained it until the past couple of years of my 30's. I have gained a good potion back despite playing with macros and fitness variations. I've been meticulous in going back to what I did before, getting back to those good habits, but... virtually no change but negative ones such as extreme fatigue and general frustration. My doctor says my body has changed and I need even more calorie restriction. I don't feel comfortable trying to do that SAFELY on my own, so I'm using a well-documented plan that forces me to control my portions and choices. While I'm not totally comfortable describing all this to you and realize we're discussing a plan that you aren't familiar with and don't agree with, I really do appreciate your feedback and respect your opinion about healthy weight loss as I share the same ideals, however at this stage of my life, all I can tell you is that this alternative method of getting the weight off is simple, effective, and I feel none of the "feeling bad" that some report, and for me it is affordable. I feel energized, upbeat, and have regained some of my confidence- it's working for me, and it is also my choice. My personal plan is to get the bulk of this unhealthy weight back off and at that point to work with a personal trainer/nutritionist to learn what my body needs to maintain that loss at this stage of my life.

Health coaches don't sell anything as each person is already selecting and buying our products on our own- they just provide support, encouragement, and answer questions regarding goals and acceptable food choices for the meal that we have to make ourselves. I replied because I, too, have had some issues communicating with my coach and would like to find one that is more interactive and attentive- that's all. I think I may have made a mistake asking for help here. I'll try to find the help I need elsewhere.

You aren't the OP - she feels crappy on it, so it doesn't work for her

Good that you think it works for you..we all need to find our own way ..

Not sure why you answered a question that wasn't aimed at you, but glad you're happy with your route ..best of luck
  • jennilsf
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ...You quoted my response, questioned it, and so, clearly, I thought the continued commentary and questions regarding that was for me as well. My bad... ?
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    jadea1211 wrote: »
    Hello,

You only have 20 lbs. to lose and you are doing 950 cals. a day? Egad. Yes, this will make you feel crappy and give up. What is your BMR? What does Scooby's Workshop say is your TDEE: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ ?

Why not try using MFP to track calories at 1 lb. a week loss max.? I wanted to lose 20 lbs. as well. So far, 14 lbs. are gone, and I don't feel hungry all day. Sometimes I go over my calories for the day, but I feel healthy and like I can keep doing this same kind of eating regimen for the long-term.

By the way, I believe your health coach is lying when she says "everyone else follows it and feels great." Ask her to provide you with contact info so you can talk to these supposed "everyone else" success stories.

19507081.png
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    oops i thought this was someone talking about their stupid friends list.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Note the original post is from March.
  • yoovie
    Options
    Note the original post is from March.

yeah - and then today, someone else found it through the search option and asked a new question.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know. But people today are talking to the OP, too.
  • yoovie
    Options
    Well, it's a great thing you showed up to stop people from giving advice, then, right!!!!

WHAT A CLOSE CALL!

Someone who was reading and not posting, may have accidentally learned something!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

Not sure I understand this but if you are having success what do you need a coach for?