Dangerous ingredients found in some of the tastiest foods!

Options
I’ve listed those ingredients below with hopes that you’ll avoid bringing them to the party—and possibly avoid them long term for your health!

There are several “healthier” appetizers and desserts—generally found in the “natural or health food” section of your grocery store or in stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joes. Organic fruits and vegetables are always a good choice as well J

Please try your best to avoid all of the following:

Hydrogenated or Partially Hydrogenated Oils:
Found in almost EVERYTHING!
(This ingredient is extremely difficult for our bodies to metabolize. It takes 51 days for our body to metabolize just half of this ingredient once consumed. It is linked to several heart attacks, heart disease, cancer, auto-immune deficiencies, and the list goes on and on.)

Aspartame:
Commonly found in cereals, diet ice cream, diet maple syrup, soft drinks.
(Linked to all sorts of horrible symptoms—seizures, head aches, memory loss, muscle spasms, abdominal pains, panic attacks, and the list goes on and on! Always avoid Aspartame!)

BHA and BHT:
Commonly found in potato chips, butter, chewing gum, soups, cereals, oils, and crackers.
(linked to hyperactivity)

Food Coloring:
Found in candy, beverages, sausage, and gelatin.
(linked to hyperactivity)

Growth agents, like rBGH and Ractopamine:
Found in milk and pork products.
(Dangerous for individuals with heart conditions)

High Fructose Corn Syrup:
Found in yogurt, bread, cereal, condiments, cookies, etc.
(a lot of products take out the fat and replace it with corn syrup or corn sugar which eventually turns to fat in our bodies anyway—we just eat too much sugar! It’s always best to eat real, natural, organic sugar when you have a craving for sweets.)

White flour:
Commonly found in pasta, bread, crackers, cake (may raise blood sugar and make your body work harder to metabolize it due to its high glycemic index)

Nitrates and Nitrites:
Commonly found in hotdogs, lunchmeat, bacon, and pepperoni.
(Linked to brain cancer and leukemia)

Potassium Bromate:
Commonly found in bread and rolls.
(Known carcinogen that’s banned in other countries)

View my other blogs for great information regarding dieting and nutrition!

Replies

• sallyLunn
    Options
    There is pretty much no way I'm going to even try to avoid most of this list, but thanks, its always nice to know what's killing you.
  • Avalon203
    Options
    So whatre we allowed to eat then :sad: haha.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    very intestesting stuff. So pretty much we cannot eat ANYTHING, lol! but i really like the fact about the hydrogenated oils taking 51 days to metalbolize just half. thats sick! haha! wehre did u get these facts?
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    There is pretty much no way I'm going to even try to avoid most of this list, but thanks, its always nice to know what's killing you.

Exactly!
    I feel the same way.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options

I agree! How about giving us the "can eat" list now?? What exactly should we bring to the office party that won't kill off our co-workers?
  • quentien3
    quentien3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The health nutritionist and trainer in my building ( I work in the social security building downtown Chicago) provided this list for the holiday potluck!

Normally I would agree with everyone, but I have to say, Thanks to Whole foods, Trader Joes, and other health stores (I googled) in my area. I have been able to eliminate a lot of the stuff on this list.

When making a lifestyle change, you have to consider changing every aspect to live a healthy life. It just takes research and time. Start with looking for a few things to eliminate.

For example, I don't drink Soda or Fruit juice brought in the store (HFCS) because its made with like 10% of whatever juice they're claiming. The other stuff is just industrial made sweetners. It just takes time.

Eventually, whatever your weight loss goal are, dieting or simply healthier eating is going to play a part in it. Just educate yourself and build your resources.......

Worst case senerio, at least you know what's killing you! LOL!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    bump MANY THANKS
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    bump!
  • UpToAnyCool
    Options

Nitrates and Nitrites:

Quick question: What are your thoughts on the news that companies like Applegate Farms put celery juice in their products and that the celery juice is similar to Nitrates in chemical make-up?

Thnx!
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can suggest some healthy snacks for us............................. of course we know raw nuts, fruits & veggies......................suggest a fun treat without all the unhealthy additives.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can suggest some healthy snacks for us............................. of course we know raw nuts, fruits & veggies......................suggest a fun treat without all the unhealthy additives.

:grumble:

Go to a local organic farm and gnaw on the grass in the main pasture cause that appears to make the cows healthy? :-/

:wink:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options

Go to a local organic farm and gnaw on the grass in the main pasture cause that appears to make the cows healthy? :-/

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • quentien3
    Options

Nitrates and Nitrites:

Quick question: What are your thoughts on the news that companies like Applegate Farms put celery juice in their products and that the celery juice is similar to Nitrates in chemical make-up?

Thnx!

"Celery contains nitrates that convert naturally into nitrites in your stomach and then react with the amino acids in proteins to form nitrosamines. Although some nitrosamines are known or suspected carcinogens, this natural chemical conversion presents no known problems for a healthy adult. "

However, when these nitrate-rich vegetables are cooked and left to stand at room temperature, bacterial enzyme action convert the nitrates to nitrites at a much faster rate than normal.

For example: These higher-nitrite foods may be hazardous for infants; several cases of "spinach poisoning" have been reported among children who ate cooked spinach that had been left standing at room temperature.

Its best to have your toddlers and infants avoid these certain foods all together (beets, eggplant, lettuce, radish, spinach, and collard and turnip greens, celery) , especially hotdogs!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    And then they turn around and give our kids pills to control their ADHD.

It's amazing how many additives and chemicals added to our foods are banned in Europe.
  • UpToAnyCool
    Options

BUT I DON'T HAVE FOUR STOMACHS! :bigsmile:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

It's amazing how many additives and chemicals added to our foods are banned in Europe.

Yes, this is one of the points I have been trying to drive home to people.

I don't mean to sound preachy, however, the medical establishment, Big Pharma, food manufacturers and our Dear old government are all sitting back watching people eat this crap and then dole out the pills with a billion side effects.

I don't want to live my life like that..................I want to be healthy and medication free.

I take the extra time to make stuff from scratch, freeze veggies and fruits, canning tomatoes and now transitioning to eating only what is in season and local.

I get my meats either straight from the farm or I go to a local meat market who has all the local farms he gets his meat from so you can contact those farms at any time........

I make my own household cleaners and for laundry I either make my own laundry soap (thanks to a recipe given to me by another MFP member), however my favorite laundry washing is soap nuts.

My sister makes our body wash, soaps and shampoos. We use a lot of essential oils. I use coconut oil for shaving cream too.

The only bad thing I do buy still is Diet Coke for my husband and he is starting to transition off it and drinking tea. My husband didn't seem to understand how the aspertame was affecting him.................I am working on him slowly, but surely..............
  • twinsmommy7
    twinsmommy7 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It is pretty scary what's in our foods these days, even in some of the natural ones. I was watching an episode of Dr. Oz that I have TiVo'd and the discussion pertained to GMOs or genetically modified organizms. Basically, DNA from various plants/crops, etc. are spliced together to form a variety that is hardier and resistant to diseases and pesticides. These new varieities are also designed to grow faster. There are heated viewpoints on both sides of the equation related to these GMOs. One side talks about the benefits and the other the potential long term harm to humans and animals.

One of the websites mentioned was http://nongmoshoppingguide.com/ I just started looking at this today, but there is interesting information about which foods are okay and which foods to avoid if you are concerned about eating genetically modified foods.

Something that came up during the show was that the FDA is currently reviewing whether they should approve salmon that has been genetically modified--yikes!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thanks to Whole foods, Trader Joes, and other health stores (I googled) in my area. I have been able to eliminate a lot of the stuff on this list.

+100000000000000 I <3 Trader Joe's and refuse to shop anywhere else (unless it's Whole Foods or an organic grocer.) They're usually actually CHEAPER than the "regular" grocery stores in my area, so that makes me VERY happy!!
  • quentien3
    Options

We use a lot of essential oils. I use coconut oil for shaving cream too.

The only bad thing I do buy still is Diet Coke for my husband and he is starting to transition off it and drinking tea. My husband didn't seem to understand how the aspertame was affecting him.................I am working on him slowly, but surely..............

I'm going to have to try coconut oild as shaving cream!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

We use a lot of essential oils. I use coconut oil for shaving cream too.

I'm going to have to try coconut oild as shaving cream!

Yes, just massage it into the skin and shave as normal...............No more razor bumps, ingrown hairs, or other irritations. If your skin is darker due to the irritations, it will clear that up also............