Has anyone increased their diet and LOST weight doing that?

Options
2»

Replies

• SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    Yes. I was netting anywhere from 1000-1200 calories a day and completely stalled. Decided I'd take the typical eat more MFP advice I'd been ignoring and "caught up" so to speak. I didn't work out for a day and ate around 1700 calories. Dropped 2 pounds overnight. Obviously that wasn't all fat but it broke my plateau and I have been consistently losing since upping cals. Bodies are weird and you never know how they're gonna respond.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I quit...

2wh2uea.gif
  • thesevolatiletimes
    thesevolatiletimes Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    starvation mode is a myth.

As for your intake do you weigh your food?

Chances are if you aren't losing weight you are eating more than you think.

Starvation mode is not a myth, because if it were a myth people wouldn't die of starvation. Starvation mode is very much so 'a thing', but people tend to not really comprehend what happens to the body in such a state, which is why they use it fluidly with the notion of a slowed metabolism. That being said, starvation mode is greatly exaggerated, and (in my opinion) used as a scare tactic.

At 1,000 calories per day for two months, your body was not getting the adequate amount of fat/carbohydrates in, so it's totally likely that you caused your metabolism to go a little screwy. You can easily repair that if you eat enough calories (as a net total that is), and eat the proper ratios of macronutrients.

Somebody mentioned using MFP- be sure to calculate your daily caloric needs somewhere OFF this site, since this site's estimates are often really inaccurate. Use the customizing functions to input your caloric needs (along with your macronutrient needs), and you'll be ready to go! If you go according to your estimated BMR (how you would get your caloric needs calculated), you should in theory lose weight, until you hit your body's natural set point.
  • SunsetSafari
    Options
    I don't think you can starve so you survive. Like if there was too little food, someone who ate 100 kcal a day wouldn't live longer than someone eating 1000 kcal a day due to "starvation mode", just doesn't make much sense to me.
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    Yes, on other programs (because this isn't my first time on this merry-go-round) when I ate more, I lost weight. And we're talking 50 lbs or more while being active on the program (most recent was in 2007 - 2008 through Weight Watchers, making sure to dip into my additional weekly points). When I followed the program to a "T" and didn't dip into the additional points, then I stalled out or gained weight.

Several years prior to that, when a nutritionist gave me a recommended plan (which had me eating more than I was eating), again I lost weight but when I tried to go back to the "diet/depravation" mentality that I'd already done so well about cultivating, then I had no energy, I stalled out on weight loss.

And I can let you know more recently in a day or two since yesterday was a really bad food day for me. But I've been stalled out which I blame on not really exercising so I'm trying to keep to the 1270 calories recommended by MFP or even just under. If I drop anything, then I'll have proven it again that I need to eat a little more. BTW - I also eat back at least 1/2 of my exercise calories because I do use the MFP recommendations.

Unless you have a metabolic condition, usually upping your calories causes weight loss. Remember that it's not recommended to drop below 1200 calories daily. It has to do with how your body functions and reacts. Some people (usually those that have been diagnosed with a metabolic condition) do have to go below that to lose weight but normally that is not the case.

If it's recommended to up your calories, I'd say try it for a few weeks. Lifestyle change (because you can go off a "diet) is all about trial and error, finding what works for you.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    starvation mode is a myth.

As for your intake do you weigh your food?

Chances are if you aren't losing weight you are eating more than you think.

Starvation mode is not a myth, because if it were a myth people wouldn't die of starvation. Starvation mode is very much so 'a thing', but people tend to not really comprehend what happens to the body in such a state, which is why they use it fluidly with the notion of a slowed metabolism. That being said, starvation mode is greatly exaggerated, and (in my opinion) used as a scare tactic.

At 1,000 calories per day for two months, your body was not getting the adequate amount of fat/carbohydrates in, so it's totally likely that you caused your metabolism to go a little screwy. You can easily repair that if you eat enough calories (as a net total that is), and eat the proper ratios of macronutrients.

Somebody mentioned using MFP- be sure to calculate your daily caloric needs somewhere OFF this site, since this site's estimates are often really inaccurate. Use the customizing functions to input your caloric needs (along with your macronutrient needs), and you'll be ready to go! If you go according to your estimated BMR (how you would get your caloric needs calculated), you should in theory lose weight, until you hit your body's natural set point.

Starvation mode in the context that 99% of people on this site use it is a myth. People on here think that if you have a low calorie intake for a few days or a few weeks that all the sudden your metabolism shuts down and you start burning drastically less calories than you were over a matter of days or weeks and that a quick increase in calories will repair that "starvation mode" condition and you will begin losing weight again. That is a joke. The truth is that the larger your calorie deficit is, the more your body wants to close that gap so over the course of months you will begin to slowly burn less calories at rest than you would have otherwise and if this accumulates you could do some "damage" to your metabolic capacity. It is very slow and very gradual and people keep perpetuating the myth that it is fast and sudden. IT IS NOT
  • deannaosborne31
    deannaosborne31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also had to up my calories in order to lose pounds because what I was eating was not balanced. I went to a guy that was refered to me by the trainer at my gym and he put me on the right path. I learned that I knew how to EAT but not how to feed my body the right way. you need to learn a little more about balancing your meals and how to eat properly. It took me awhile but here I sit 36lbs lighter and coming closer to my goal. I wish you luck and good heath just remember it is a not a race but a journey and you'll be just fine.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I quit...

2wh2uea.gif

I will too after this one last post

Eating more food does not mean more weight loss...chances are you were more careful with your portions due to the fear you would gain.

I mean come on people...math is math...

to lose one pound you need to expend 3500 calories or create that deficet by eating less...

If you are logging 1200 and not losing but then start logging 1800 and wham start losing it's not the additional food that made you lose weight...that is a mathematical impossiblity.

And I don't care how many people come in here and post that it happened to them...

Imperical evidence proves you wrong...

/end thread.
  • laurenpcatchu
    Options
    Well I'm going to start strictly logging in my calories to make ure I'm eating atleast 1300-1500 now! ( I work out 6 times a week for an hour+) so the doctor I went to said this will be fine.

I'm going back for a check-in in two weeks.. I'll update if I lost or not... and then we can see if I was really not losing because of eating too little or not : )
  • MarliQQ
    MarliQQ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Eating more food does not mean more weight loss...chances are you were more careful with your portions due to the fear you would gain.

....I love this site...

"I can't lose any weight! Help!" :sad:
    "That is because you are too stupid to know how to use a measuring cup and a food scale..." :grumble:
    "Really???..." :huh:
    "Oh wait, lost weight when I upped my cals" :laugh:
    "ugh, no you didn't...you just got better at using a measuring cup" :grumble:
    "........." :huh:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, I wasn't eating enough calories and hit a wall after the intial newbie weightloss. Upped my cals to 17-1800 and bang, the weight started dropping off. The same applied to my daughter too, so its no coincidence. The maths and science are pretty simple and the results always speak for themselves.

What maths and science explain increased weight loss with increased calorie intake?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

....I love this site...

"I can't lose any weight! Help!" :sad:
    "That is because you are too stupid to know how to use a measuring cup and a food scale..." :grumble:
    "Really???..." :huh:
    "Oh wait, lost weight when I upped my cals" :laugh:
    "ugh, no you didn't...you just got better at using a measuring cup" :grumble:
    "........." :huh:

no it goes more like this...

"I can't lose weight Help"
    "That because you aren't weighing or using correct portions"
    "Yes I do I promise"
    Looks at diary sees 1small banana, 1med apple quick add calories
    "No you don't..."
    "Meany stupid head"

If haven't read the whole thread or looked at the diaries of these people you will see most don't weigh their food if you can see their diaries...and by being more careful on portions I mean took smaller ones

ETA: when I joined MFP I had 1380 calories and lost 1/2lb a week...I eat 1700 calories a day now and guess what I lose 1/2-1lb a week guess what the difference is....AMG a scale and accurate logging...so see I could tout what most here are saying too...but I wont because I know what the difference is...when I thought I was eating 1380 I was really eating 1800...:laugh:

Gotta love science.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Yup, weighing your food and portion control is important.

Personally, I stick to the same calories pretty much on a daily basis. When I feel that I have hit a plateau or that my body / metabolism is getting used to my calorie intake and routine I change it up for a day or two. I'll increase my calories, fat, carbs, etc. and my work out routine for one or two days. By the third day my metabolism is always ramped up again and I'll drop several inches/ounces even a pound or two by the end of the third day (after a lot of water) and getting back down to my regular calories. It is def trial and error... Find what works for you and stick with it, tweak here and there when you need too.
  • laurenpcatchu
    Options
    For those wondering what math and sciences tell them that more calories = more weight loss..

I;ve just visit a health/wellness center and this is what they gave me;

You're not suppose to be 'eating back' your worked out calories
    Eat the number of calories we give you.. no less..no more.. (1490)
    If you add exercise in, you will lose more..
    If you decrease the calories... YES YOU WILL LOSE MORE WEIGHT... BUT IT WILL BE LEAN MUSCLE..NOT FAT!!

so there is your answer
    do you lose weight decreasing more calories? Yes? But it's not the weight you wanna lose.. thats the weight you'll gain back twice over.

tada
  • laurenpcatchu
    Options
    Just to let everyone know.. I increased my diet and protein in take and lost 5 pounds in two weeks...
    Guess it really is true you can eat more and lose more that weigh if you'r enot eating enough!