Help!

Options
This is my SECOND bad day! Can someone PLEASE give me some tips on how to turn down bad food!

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    well what exactly are you doing? like are you binging? need a bit more information :]
  • bameyers
    Options
    i'm just now really trying to lose weight & get healthy. But it seems like i do soo good then like i see cookies or something i DONT need to eat! its so stressful & depressing when i get home and count the calories and see how bad i've doon & went over!:( help, please
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    REMEMBER...nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Listen, the more you eat the good stuff the worse the bad stuff tastes! I mean i still want it, but if i do indulge, i find it just doesn't taste as good as i thought or it used to. I have been eating good for 11 months, and it does get easier to resist! Hang in there and dig deep and push through! You can do this!
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    It is totally something in the air the last few days!! I feel it too I have been doing so good why am I doing this to myself!!! I am going to try tons of fiber and water tomorrow and see if that helps! I will keep you posted. I totally feel your pain over by 700 today UGG!!!
  • JimHeid
    JimHeid Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Can you go take a quick walk when you see the evil cookie?:smile:
  • bameyers
    Options
    I totally understand! it's such a downer! good luck, im going to try to drink lots more water tomorrow instead of cokes, its a good staRT!
  • Naomi91
    Options
    Well if you are early into weightloss then it is going to be a bit difficlt to get over the cravings. I had a huge sugar addiction before but got rid of it!

A couple ways to do this: try a detox fast, only 10 days, works wonders :] i did The Master Cleanse

Or if you dont want to fast, try taking out a few foods for a couple weeks and your cravings will dull down (i have done this too)
    Try to take out all kinds of sugar for 1 or 2 weeks and wheat products. Its kind of tough, but will rid your cravings of all the bad stuff!

All of this worked great for me :] hope it helps!
  • Manda1987
    Options
    I would disagree with chacaruso: there are tons of things that taste better than skinny feels! That's how I got here!

My solution was to keep not-so-bad junk food in the house. I always have tons of chocolate pudding (90 cals/cup) on hand, and the Dad's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies that come in a box of packets of 2 (110 cals/2 cookies) are great because I don't get tempted to eat the whole box.

I also log everything BEFORE I eat it so I can see the effects. If I get too freaked out by what I see, I don't eat it and it feels pretty darn good to knock it off and see the numbers go back down.
  • Naomi91
    Options
    Oh also... get rid of all the coke! all that "sugar free" stuff does is cause cravings and also makes you more hungry! which is not what we want right :]
  • racharla
    racharla Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Its really hard to resist...This is what I do when I get tempted...
    I drink a cup of water in small sips... this really helps ...
    I think about all the things I have planned to do after I shed the extra pounds...
    I think about the comments my friends are gonna make when they see me in a new avatar ....
    Well , That was just me :bigsmile: ...
    You will soon figure it out
    Good luck :smile:
  • twnzmom
    twnzmom Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    When i am tempted I just whisper to myself remember how you got this way and remember all the hard work it has taken me to get to where I am and the urge just leaves. I work in a dental office and this time of year we are always getting goodies, you just have to think what is more imporatant that cookie of me accomplishing my goal, its hard in the beginning but it will get better just hang in there.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    personally...if i do bad on one day- i just MAKE SURE that i do some serious exercise to get myself out of the hole! works everytime...i never go over my calories simply because if i see it go over - im on the exercise bike like a mad woman!
    thats my suggestion for the start...but after a while you just say- "no i dont need that food...its not as good as it looks!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Here's what I think....

You're just starting out and habits are hard to break and reform new ones. When you say you try hard then downfall then you do the calories and you're over. Well how far over? Is it less than when you look to your past? At first I'd get so discouraged and beat myself up, then one day I decided that I would look at how I used to eat. Wow was I way over. Then I started picking out the positive things that I'd done and focus on that. Then each day I'd try and do just a little better. Yep still slide, but it's never that horrible and then I know that I suffer for it.

Before you know it you'll be looking at the cookies and think, ahh no thanks not only because you are conscious of what you're eating but also because it just won't taste that good anymore.

Hang in there and before you know it you'll be reading labels and paying attention and feeling better for it. Sometimes we just need to give ourselves a break.
  • bameyers
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! Im trying to take all this in. Water water water, very important.
  • Pamalaw
    Options
    I think the better thing to do is to NOT deny yourself foods you like, but stick to ONE cookie and make sure you have room in your calories for it :) if you keep denying yourself foods then when you do give in you end up eating 10 cookies! LOL
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not sure about your situation, but my top way to avoid foods that will derail me is to not bring them to the house. I avoid bringing how salty/sweet snacks that make me binge and try to find similar foods that are healthier.

I also save eating out for special occasions, that way I'm not tempted by the fattening foods on the menu. It's much better to cook for yourself.

Shannon
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've been making healthy changes for the past year and a half, and as time goes on, it does get easier!! I can tell a huge, huge difference now in how I approach food. When we have office meetings with donuts and cinnamin rolls -- yes I notice them -- but most of the time, they are a passing thought. Also, make sure you are not starving -- feed yourself small meals regularly -- because it is SO much easier to resist something if you are not hungry.

At first, you will simply have to force yourself to stay away from bad food until all the sugar, etc., gets out of your system (kind of like when people quit smoking, they go through nicotine withdrawl) -- eating bad stuff leads to eating more bad stuff. But after the more intense sugar cravings are gone, I think what helps me now is I substitute other healthy items so I don't feel like I'm depriving myself. Items I use are: Emerald's cocoa roasted almonds, yoplait light yogurts in flavors like boston cream pie and cherry cobbler, and chocolate pb2 (which is like peanut butter but only 45 calories for two tablespoons).

Another thing to try is to slice an apple and put it in the microwave. Then put cinnamon on it -- it takes like apple pie filling!

If you want to try any of these items and need to know where I buy them, you can send me a message.

Remember becoming healthy is a process, the best thing to do is keep trying!
  • twinsmommy7
    twinsmommy7 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I totally hear ya. It's a daily struggle for me too. I try to take it a day at a time. Logging in your food before you eat it helps a alot because it (a) gives you time to think about whether you want to make the choice to have something bad and (b) it let's you clearly see how your choice will affect your numbers for the day.

Many people have said that avoiding carbs for a few days will help your overall hunger and desire for carbs. I think that's true. The trouble is getting to that point. :smile: I find that if I try to have one, I have no control so I'm better off having none. I only keep healthy snacks in the house for the whole family. Even the kids have the healthier versions of "junk" food, e.g., baked organic cheese puffs instead of regular cheetos, organic oatmeal animal crackers instead of the regular kind, etc. We also only keep whole grain breads and pasta in the house.

Start cutting out the bad things slowly and replace them with good ones. Each good choice will lead to the next good choice and so on! :smile:

Also, keep reminding yourself why you want to lose weight. Look at a picture of yourself and visualize where you want to be ultimately. Ask a friend to brainstorm with you about why you want to lose weight. Make a list of the reasons you want to lose weight and carry that with you. Take a look at the success stories here and let them inspire you to keep on track.

You're always going to have bad days, but try to have more good days than bad. Eventually, you won't even have to think about it--you'll just automatically make more good choices than bad ones.

Good luck!
  • bucky17h
    bucky17h Posts: 120
    Options
    REMEMBER...nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!

:)