Need Some Advice......

Options
I'm hoping that someone can help me or give me some advice. I'm extremely frustrated right now....

I have always been a chubby person, never one with a skinny waist and little more cushion than other girls my height. I have yo-yo'ed my way from 175 to 130 back to 170 over the last few years. I got pregnant in November of 2008 and had my daughter in August 2009. During my pregnancy I put on 50 lbs, tipping the scales at 210 pounds right before she was born. About 6 weeks after birth, I dropped about 20 lbs. As soon as I was cleared to workout, I began working out 3-4 days a week (heavy cardio), an hour each workout. I have been working out now for over a year and have only lost 15 pounds. I have increased my cardio and have been carefully monitoring my food intake, keeping myself between 1250-1375 calories per day. I cannot seem to get below 167, even though I have increased my workouts and decreased my calorie intake. And what's worse is I fluctuate weekly between 164-167. One week will be 164, the next will be 167, with no change to my diet or exercise regimen.

All of the doctors I see tell me I am overweight, borderline obese, for my height. My body fat percentage is off the charts. I have had my thyroid tested, pituitary gland tested, female hormones tested, etc. and everything comes back normal.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be going? I am at a loss and everyone I know cannot offer any additional advice.

Here lately all I have been is depressed because I know that there is a happy, healthy, confident woman inside this body. I have seen her before, but it has been almost 10 years.

Thanks to anyone for reading and offering any advice, motivation and support!

Replies

• saraeyster
    saraeyster Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey there!! It almost sounds like you need to up your calorie intake. Maybe try a 1500 calorie diet and change up your workout, if you haven't already. Maybe add a little more activity on the days you do not do cardio.
  • wifeyplus6
    Options
    Have you had an insulin test? Or a diabetic test? (they are 2 different tests) I couldn't successfully lose weight untill I started to carb count (as I am insulin resistant) I was eating below my calories, and exercising but until I watched my carbs, I couldn't drop a pound. It's something to look into...good luck.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    One thing that's comes to mind is that maybe your calories could be too low. Are you consuming 1250-1375 AFTER you input your exercise calories burned?
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Adding some calories to your daily intake may help and I would say try some strength training if your'e not already. It sounds like you're just doing cardio, which is good for you, but if you do some work with weights 2 times a week, then you'll build muscle and you'll burn more calories and fat. Building muscle also changes the shape of your body and not just the number on the scale.
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'd start by looking at the following:

1/ Are you drinking plenty of water? Try to drink a couple of litres a day (not counting tea, coffee, etc).
    2/ As other posters have said - try upping your calorie intake a little. It is likely that your body has gotten used to the level you are at and needs a little confusion to get it working to burn fat again.
    3/ Look at changing your workout a little. Maybe change your cardio to being shorter workouts but with more intensity - and then add some strength/resistance training into the mix to try and build some lean muscle, which should in turn help you burn more fat.

These are all things that my trainer at the gym advised for me and they seem to work when I plateau.

Good luck and be positive. You have lost a lot already so you know you can do this :smile:

C
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    I am no expert but have had the exact same problem but am finally losing at the rate of just over 1lb every week. What I did was stop punishing myself with 5 workouts per week & dropped it to 2 or 3 that way my muscles have the chance to let go of the water they hang on to after workouts.
    The next thing I did was follow a low GI diet which means I eat 3 meals per day & 2 small snacks this keeps the metabolic rate up. I did not have more than 1200 calories even if I exercised. Once I had started losing, after about 3 weeks I mixed things up, more calories one day, less the next & change in workouts at least every 3 weeks,sometimes I do a 24 hour fast from 5pm til 5pm which means I still eat both days.This may well work faster for you than for me as I am 59 so takes longer but I am more toned than I as when i weighed less & was younger. You will do this so don't give up & don't let fluctuations put you off, I have had a 10lb difference one night til next morning but even that has now stabilised to within 4 lbs max.!!!!
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Your calories do sound low for your weight and all the exercise you do. I know it sounds crazy to eat more. But its true. Are you watching calories and eating healthy or just watching calories? Maybe try a new exercise routine to shock your body. I've gotten stuck many of times and it always makes me stop loosing...DON'T! We'll all help you stay focused.
  • Bobbysgirl8
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their advice and support.

I will certainly try to up my calories, change the cardio workouts a bit again and start my weight training once more. Hopefully all things coupled together will make a difference.

Thanks to all!
  • Bobbysgirl8
    Options
    Well I thought that the doctors had done all those tests along with the others; however, my mother just found out that she is diabetic. Not sure if its an inherited disease, but I could ask them to do another round of tests.

Couldn't hurt.

Thanks for the suggestion!