Anyone started running at 40?

Options
maleeca
maleeca Posts: 14 Member
Hi, wonderful people...anyone started running at 40. I am about to start a training session and a lot of people are scaring the hell out of me, that I will bust my knees or have a heart problem and all kinds of really morbid warnings. Is there anything I should keep in mind? I have never run, but I do yoga and till last year was in kettle bell training. I have been into some form of exercise most of my life. TIA any encouraging message would be wonderful :smile:

Replies

• Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was 47 and even entered 3 5ks. It was slow going for me and still is but I keep at it. Go for it.
  • suetorrence
    suetorrence Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi! I began running in December and I am 66 years old. My husband and I began a C25K program through our local running store. The slower pace of that program, I believe, is what enabled me to continue to run. Our "graduation" was to run a 5k - I did - and managed to come in third in my age group. I have come to enjoy running. Best wishes on whatever you decide is right for you.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I started @ age 42 & obese. I heard it all, your going to hurt your knees, heart attack, etc. etc. a year later & I'm still alive & running w/no knee issues. Forget the nay sayers, if you want it do it. (Edited to add this). My mother is 70 & started running @ age 67, she still runs daily & no knee issues or other "running" induced issues. She's pretty fast too.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Yep. Age 44 (almost 45). It's been 16 months, and I'm not fast, but I enjoy it for so many, many reasons. Mostly, it gets my heartrate up and I get to be in a state park on trails. I didn't know about C25K, but I did my own kind of interval training. Get good shoes. Go slowly if you need to. Enjoy it! :)

~Curly
  • S3r3knitty
    S3r3knitty Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My father started running when he was around 40 and still does 13 years later. He is damn fast too. Wish I could run that fast
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I started running at 50, and ran my first half marathon last year!

Top tips - get fitted for good shoes, take it slower than you'd imagaine, and allow your legs to recover. And hydrate.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    42 I think. (or 41) I used c25k too and would recommend that also take it slower for the first month or two and then build up to what is right for you. those people that often experience bad knees and other injuries usually either have bad form or have done too much too quick. Once you first get a hang of it it is tempting to really start upping your mileage or speed but take care to stay within average recommendations at around 10 percent a week as you bones need to strengthen and your muscles build.
    Take it slow and you will be rewarded in the end by being faster, stronger and fitter. too fast and you will end up with injuries that keep you out. (I learnt this the hard way!!!!!!!)
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I was 50 when I did my first 5K. Last November I completed my 10K (77 minutes). I am thinking half marathon is my next stop.
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    At 38 so I'm not quite 40 but I was 370 pounds when I started C25k. I agree with others that say to take it slow. I found my cardio came around a lot quicker than my legs. It's a great feeling finishing up a half hour junk when a couple months earlier you couldn't run a minute without being winded. Good luck and have fun!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I was 36 when I took up running. 40 is young!! Ignore the naysayers and go for it!!
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I was 50 when I did my first 5K. Last November I completed my 10K (77 minutes). I am thinking half marathon is my next stop.

You are fantastic!
  • BarbSaxon
    BarbSaxon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon at 63, after running for about a year. Was a wonderful experience. Any runner after the age of 40 must remain mindful of the fact that we my not be as fast as the kids, and that we have to allow for recovery time, especially between long runs. It is very important to do dynamic stretching before your run, and static stretching after. Your running technique is also critical. Check out the Chi Running website. Takes a lot of pressure of the joints, especially knees. Good luck, and do not give up.
  • nyhockeyguy
    nyhockeyguy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    40? you can wait 13 years and start at 53 like me. I started about 4 months ago and love it. I refuse to believe that I am too old. and my knees are ok. Go slow, go steady, and aim for time, not speed. That is how I do it. It feels great, and there is nothing like it or a sweat and a burn. enjoy it.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Started using C25K last year when almost 300lbs and come up for 41. Now run around 15-20 miles a week, haver done a couple fo 10k races and am doing a 30K in a couple of weeks. Also signed yp for a Half Marathon and a trail 10K in the next few months.
  • Debbieclark11
    Debbieclark11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started at 50 and went at it too hard and had a knee scope about 18 months ago - I had a torn meniscus. However I am back at it and being smarter this time around! I am 53 and I plan on keeping it up!!! Good Luck!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I started running at 44 and just under 300 pounds (last year) I now run between 30 and 40 miles weekly and runs up to 13 miles. Those that tell you you're going to wreck your knees are talking nonsense (and normally haven't run a step in their lives). In fact the research says the opposite running will strengthen your bones and actually thickens the cartilage around the knee joints. If anyone wants to add me to friends lists they're welcome
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I never ran when I was younger, and started c25k when I was 40...just go slow and give yourself time to recover when you're sore. I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can get back to it!
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I started last year when I was 40 years old and 250 pounds. I didn't even have running shoes. My only workout "equipment" was a single, ancient, stinky sports bra. My first run was in an old dress and a pair of cotton leggings. I was barefoot.

I heard:

Be careful!
    You'll blow out your knees!
    You'll permanently injure your back (ankles, hips, etc.)!
    You shouldn't run at your age!
    You shouldn't run at your weight!
    You should wear the proper shoes!

I didn't listen to any of these people. I ran anyway. I used the Couch to 5k app on my phone, and followed the nice robot lady's instructions for when to walk and when to run. I gradually got stronger and faster. I eventually got a pair of running shoes. I trolled the clearance racks for real running clothes.

One year later and I've lost almost 50 pounds, I can run 6 miles without stopping, and I'm buying my running pants in L instead of XXL.

You can do this. Take it at your own pace. Listen to your body. And if I may quote the movie Galaxy Quest: "Never give up! Never surrender!"

:glasses:
  • lynnej73
    lynnej73 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started at 39. I didn't think I would ever be a runner but decided to do couch to 5K to challenge myself. I had to overcome the fact that I was not the fastest on the street and reminded myself constantly to breathe and put one foot in front of the other. I also followed the program without trying to outdo it so to speak. I ran a 5k and 10k last year. I've come to really enjoy running. It was quite a journey for me. It is amazing to see just how strong your body really is! I would recommend getting a good pair of shoes. Go for it!
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Bet they're not runners.

I'm not 40 (yet), but I've heard all the dire warnings. I strength train, cross train, avoid TMTS, allow for recovery, and practice proper breathign and proper form. With all of those things in place, there's no reason to expect any of those warnings to come true.
    I started at 50 and went at it too hard and had a knee scope about 18 months ago - I had a torn meniscus. However I am back at it and being smarter this time around! I am 53 and I plan on keeping it up!!! Good Luck!

In all honesty, if you've been overweight, you probably had pre-existing damage that just worsened and became symptomatic. Weight is one of the biggest causes of meniscus tears (because it usually accompanies inactivity that atrophies the tissues designed to keep the knee alighned and and becaise being overweight often correlates with diets deficient in nutrients important for repairing those tissues). Glad you're back at it. We need more older runners coming into the sport to balance out all the people who've been running for 25 years.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!