Trainer Help

Options
I have a trainer that works through the gym I go to. Our first meeting was... ok? He talked really fast and it felt more like he was trying to quick sell me a car, but I had already decided that I was going to do a trainer for at least 6 months. We then decided to get up and do some working out to see where I am at. Before we began I explained that I have really bad knees. (I have had them since 16 years old, long before I put on the weight). The first thing he had me do was 54 squats with a 10 lb weight. I told him I had to stop because my knees were on fire! He told me that it was ok this time, but if I keep giving up I'll never lose the weight. (This was two days ago and I am still having problems walking)

Here is my question. Should I have sucked it up and continued on with the squats or did I do the right thing by stopping? I know I will not lose the weight by doing nothing, I just feel like he should have taken into consideration my knees before throwing me in like that.

This is my first trainer, so I am not really clear if this is normal or not. Thank you!

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    You were in the right. Pushing through muscle fatigue is different from working with and injury. He should have modified your routine. You don't want to push so hard that you can't come back for a week. Getting injured and really not doing anything is not good. You can always work around a preexisting condition. It just takes planning.

Allan
  • WanderingGypsySoul
    WanderingGypsySoul Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My knees crack constantly every time I just squat to pick something up off the floor. When I do my weighted squats, they crack. However, what I've been noticing is that, when I push through it, my problem seems to alleviate itself over time. Meaning, my cracking is slowly but surely going away. I always want to give up with my trainer. I see him 4x a week and in the beginning I wanted to quit, to just throw in the towel. But what kind of results are you going to get if you don't push through your comfort zone? What started out as a habit has now grown into an addiction. If you're not comfortable with your trainer, talk to him and ask him to do alternative exercises to compensate for your knee. However, just know that you won't see the results you want if it doesn't burn or feel heavy.
  • Mbuhler
    Mbuhler Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You are in the right. You are paying someone for a service and it's like anything else, they need to be mindful of your needs. If you went to a hairdresser for a trim and she took off 6 inches, you wouldn't go back. A good trainer will be mindful of your limitations and find alternative ways to achieve the same results with different modifications. It's one thing to push someone with the goal of achieving a little more when you wouldn't push yourself that hard (that's the point of a trainer) but to completely ignore someone's pain and a pre-existing condition is completely irresponsible and dangerous.

There are a lot of good trainers out there but unfortunately, there are some bad ones. Someone who is inexperienced will put each client on the same routine. A great trainer knows how to tweak the plan and be creative with the exercises.

Good luck!
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I would seek out a different trainer. My brother broke his ankle when he was a teenager and last year started working with a personal trainer. He told me halfway through it, that the guy stopped him and asked him what had happened because it was obvious he was favoring one leg over the other. THAT guy was paying attention and knew what to look for.
    When I went to meet a personal trainer, he set me on a machine and then started texting. I asked him mid set, if he even knew what number I was on, and he tossed out some number that I wasn't even close to. THAT guy was a jerk and didn't know what he was doing.
    Go back to the gym but respectfully request someone else to work with. Knees are kind of like backs, in that you just don't play around with those.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Agree with Terbusha above, there's a difference between 'this hurts' and 'I am hurt', if it was just muscle fatigue because you haven't done 50 squats in years then I would say suck it up and get on with it, however if there's a physical reason that you can't do these (bad knees) it's the trainers short-comings that he's not able to substitute a more appropriate exercise.
    I had an issue with my achilles last year and my trainer worked around that by avoiding impact (meant I done a lot of squats and had to cut out the short sprints inside the gym as the turn and push off hurt it), managed to get that sorted (mainly by cutting the running over winter and focusing on weights), currently having issues with my toe joint so again exercises are adapted (lunges can cause me issues).
    Do you know what's wrong with your knees and therefore know your limits, could gradually strengthening them help, or has a health professional advised what is wrong and why they won't get better (54 squats straight off is tough either way)!!!

I always think that you have to find the right trainer for you, some of us will respond to tough love, some of us need to be cheered on, some of us need to be coaxed. At the end of the day it's a lot of your money so it has to be someone that you're comfortable with and suits your needs, if he isn't going to listen to you then you need to rethink who you are using.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You need to evaluate how you feel; there is a difference between muscle fatigue hurt and pre-injury hurt. Since you mention that you have had knee problems your whole life, I am assuming you can tell the difference, and you absolutely did the right thing. Does your gym have other trainers? If so, you should consider trying out another one. To get the best results from a trainer you need one who is listening to your needs, goals, interests, etc.

I have worked with the same trainer for 3 years now, and his training style works very well with my exercise style - I knew when I first started working with him that it was a good cultural fit (I have worked out with trainers in the past, and knew what works well for me). Think about what is important to you. Do you like someone who cheers you on? Do you want someone who is encouraging? Do you work better with someone who is impersonal? How about someone who really pushes you? It is not uncommon for it to take a few tries to find the right trainer for you.

Good luck! Working with a trainer can be a great experience - I hope you find it so!
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    You are more than likely going to have to suck it up with squats.

It shouldn't be on your knees though. go back, not down.

OK 54 squats?? that is a crazy amount.
    Either have a talk with the trainer on what your program is going to look like in the end, or find a new one.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'd just dump him straight out, not even give him a chance. You explained yourself, he didn't listen. You could try to explain it again but who's to say he'll listen this time and not try to push you again.
  • starqueentnk
    starqueentnk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have had weak knees since I was a kid doing ballet. I've been diagnosed with rough cartilage under my right knee.

I have no doubt that I am waaaaayyyyy out of shape and any exercise I do will wear me out at first, but this was straight up knee pain.

I am going to talk to him when we meet today and see if he is willing to change some of the routines so that maybe we are not so knee punishing.

Thank you all for your advice.
  • jobegone
    jobegone Posts: 91
    Options
    What kind of training programme makes you do 54 squats in a row????
    I'd have killed a PT if they'd done that to me!!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Don't talk to him about anything. Use a different trainer. Find one you have a good feeling about, but someone that seems like a used car salesman
  • happyfeet1993
    happyfeet1993 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd get a different trainer, even possibly someone NOT through your gym.
    I've heard not so good things about the ones that are associated with gyms because they have sales stuff that they have to meet and whatever.
    He should have taken into consideration your knee issues, there are MANY different workouts to try that can get you burning fat to start, and then work in higher impact stuff.
    Good luck
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer that works through the gym I go to. Our first meeting was... ok? He talked really fast and it felt more like he was trying to quick sell me a car, but I had already decided that I was going to do a trainer for at least 6 months. We then decided to get up and do some working out to see where I am at. Before we began I explained that I have really bad knees. (I have had them since 16 years old, long before I put on the weight). The first thing he had me do was 54 squats with a 10 lb weight. I told him I had to stop because my knees were on fire! He told me that it was ok this time, but if I keep giving up I'll never lose the weight. (This was two days ago and I am still having problems walking)

Here is my question. Should I have sucked it up and continued on with the squats or did I do the right thing by stopping? I know I will not lose the weight by doing nothing, I just feel like he should have taken into consideration my knees before throwing me in like that.

This is my first trainer, so I am not really clear if this is normal or not. Thank you!
    First time training and 54 squats? Lol, sounds like this is the type of trainer having you do HIS workout. Especially after what you stated, I would have seen the DEGREE of your range of motion first then applied an exercise to work on easing you into leg work outs.
    Trade him in and select another trainer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

First time training and 54 squats? Lol, sounds like this is the type of trainer having you do HIS workout. Especially after what you stated, I would have seen the DEGREE of your range of motion first then applied an exercise to work on easing you into leg work outs.
    Trade him in and select another trainer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

He obviously did not listen to you when you had your initial consult - don't feel guilty about asking for a new trainer - and stress that you have some concerns in regards to your knees - you are paying for a service and should totally expect to get good solid advice for your money
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Not all trainers are created equally! Some are certified via short courses and a test, but don't really have experience and enough background knowledge on anatomy and physiology…which is essential for training people in general, but especially people with some physical limits/issues. Makes sense? Get a new trainer if you can. Or…start doing some research on a few sites, looking for exercises/strength training, etc. with limited mobility, knew problems, etc…..You'll find some very helpful and accurate information on webmd, live strong, american orthopedic ???? sorry can't remember at the moment. But, that's a start. Good luck!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Stories like this drive me nuts. They give trainers a bad name and perpetuate myths like "you have to suck it up to get better".

The whole point of "personal" training is to develop a program that is designed for someone's specific needs. Otherwise, it's an exercise is self-indulgence on the part of the trainer.

When starting an exercise program, the first thing you and the trainer have to do is establish your "floor". That is, determine the minimum level of exercise you can do without pain, with good form, and without inappropriate fatigue.

Once that "base" has been established, then the body's inherent ability to adapt to a stimulus will work just fine. All you and the trainer have to do is apply the appropriate stimulus. And any stimulus that is enough to effect an improvement will yield results.

Until someone has built up sufficient strength and endurance to sustain a quality effort, then pushing an aggressive workout can be counterproductive. Especially in the beginning, there is absolutely no reason to push yourself to a point where you feel pain, or out of control, or extreme fatigue.

For someone with a chronic condition, like your knees, in the absence of a physical-therapy type of assessment, you have to determine the extent of your symptoms and adjust the program accordingly. Sometimes when someone has a condition diagnosed as "weak knees", just starting a strength program and losing some weight an result in significant improvement. However, if the condition is structural (eg arthritis or actual roughening of the cartilage), then it may not be possible to "work through it" and certain exercises -- e.g. squats--might be contraindicated.

It is unrealistic to expect the average trainer to be able to perform a physical therapy assessment. However, it is a minimum standard that a trainer should know how to try different movements in order to determine which ones the client can tolerate.

Having someone with a history of knee problems do 54 squats and then shame the client for stopping because of pain falls into the category of trainer malpractice (not to mention gross incompetence).
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Having someone with a history of knee problems do 54 squats and then shame the client for stopping because of pain falls into the category of trainer malpractice (not to mention gross incompetence).

This.

Sounds like a tool. Ditch him, find a better alternative (i.e. someone who will work with you, rather than just work you.)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd get a different trainer, even possibly someone NOT through your gym.
    I've heard not so good things about the ones that are associated with gyms because they have sales stuff that they have to meet and whatever.
    He should have taken into consideration your knee issues, there are MANY different workouts to try that can get you burning fat to start, and then work in higher impact stuff.
    Good luck

everyone has sales stuff to meet and whatever. doesn't matter if they train at a big box or are independent and travel to train clients in their homes, everybody gotta eat. it's not the focus on sales that makes bad trainers, it's the lack of experience. and lack of understanding their individual client's needs.

i had a manager that used to have a saying. "Good deals get better, bad deals get worse." For the context of this thread, the OP's trainer has exposed himself as incompetent (based on her version of the events) and continuing with him will only lead to more bad things. Find someone that you feel you can trust and continue with them.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Good luck

everyone has sales stuff to meet and whatever. doesn't matter if they train at a big box or are independent and travel to train clients in their homes, everybody gotta eat. it's not the focus on sales that makes bad trainers, it's the lack of experience. and lack of understanding their individual client's needs.

i had a manager that used to have a saying. "Good deals get better, bad deals get worse." For the context of this thread, the OP's trainer has exposed himself as incompetent (based on her version of the events) and continuing with him will only lead to more bad things. Find someone that you feel you can trust and continue with them.

Yeah, the "pressure to sell" is everywhere--that doesn't make a trainer bad per se.

At our center, for the past 1+ years we have been getting absolutely hammered on a daily basis to pump out the training $$$ and sessions. We have "sales stuff (we) have to meet" that sometimes feels more pressured than paying the vig to the guy on the corner.

The difference? We still maintain our professional standards and the training is still focused on the member. You could make the case that our sales pressure is still a "win-win" for the member. We are working harder to point out the value of personal training and those who sign up get the benefit of seeing faster and better results than they would have otherwise.

If you focus on solving people's problems and not not "closing the deal", then, as the saying goes, "this sh-t sells itself".

The problem in a lot of smaller gyms is that they don't pay their trainers that much and so they can't really attract the top people.