It's Pg again :)

Options
OLP76
OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
Just wonderin'...Should I eat my breakfast, before I start a workout or afterwards...?

Replies

• Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    some carbs before (oatmeal) and protein after is what I've heard but I'm interested to see what others say.
  • MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Its better to do it after if you can make it without breakfast before hand I've heard
  • timmy42
    Options
    I have read many articles that say it doesn't matter, but a few that say before and a few that say after......but I always find i'm really hungry after a wrokout....so I eat after!!
    :indifferent:
  • saraeyster
    saraeyster Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would eat before, so you have something to burn. Eat something light, if you feel fine without then wait until afterwards but then you might end up famished.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Okay, it's only DAY 3 of P90, and I usually eat oatmeal afterwards....Since I do P90...how do I log in my excerise, seems that I'm missin' that part on MFP, and it doesn't have an option for P90 lol - do I need to do both separately? at like 2-3 mins ??... :) Still new to this site, I'm a fast learner...Eeeks lol
  • AznKimi
    Options
    I generally start my day with oatmeal and a drink, then do some workout, then protein shake.... Rinse and repeat, (different food, of course) for lunch.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on how long my workout is. Somedays I will do a short 25-30 minute run and I eat after running. There are other days where I will hit the gym for a longer 60-80 minute workout. For that I eat before because I find I don't have the energy to make it through the whole workout.
  • cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on you, and maybe on the workout you are doing as well. I'd experiment a bit. If you eat too close to working out, it can upset your tummy. But first thing in the morning, you may need a little bit of fuel to get you going.

I don't work out first thing in the morning these days, but back when I did I felt better on an empty stomach. Everyone is different though; do what works for you. :)
  • fushion243
    Options
    I agree with evawilkerson, I do either an energy gel or oatmeal prior to workout, and then protein following.
  • 2psnapod1
    Options
    I've found that if I work out on an empty stomach I can get queasy &/or light headed so I try to eat something light before working out.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends on how much time I have before my workout.... if I get up first thing in the morning and am doing just a 25 - 30 min jog, I will either run on empty or eat 1/2 a banana or something. During my work week, I eat a good hearty breakfast at my desk and then go to the gym for strength training a couple of hours later. I always follow up my strength training workouts with a small whey protein shake. Then my next scheduled meal will follow that 30 - 60 minutes later, depending on how hungry I am.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If it's first thing in the morning, I like to workout on an empty stomach. If you're up awhile first, then I would eat something. Personal preference applies.
  • joeybaby66
    Options
    If it's just cardio, I would suggest an empty stomach, just water. If it's weight training, some protein. A protein shake with a half banana an hour or so before.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    honestly you are going to have to fine what works best for you. i work out at the the gym around 12, it is the time frame that is covenant for me. personally i do not like working out with a full stomach, nor with a growling one. i have a light lunch around 11, so it has time to start digesting. hope you find what works for you.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I eat a couple of hundred calories 45 minutes - 1 hour before working out - a piece of fruit and a cereal bar or something like that. Leaving time between eating and working out gives me enough time to digest it and brings my energy up. I can't exercise on an empty stomach (makes me feel ill) or too soon after eating.