Anyone started running at 40?

Options

Replies

• olehcat
    olehcat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I didn't start at 40, I've been running on and off since I was a child...but I'm 43 now and I run!

And just saying that the woman who was the female first finisher in one of the marathons near where I live was 41! :)
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I started running at 50. I ran my first marathon at 52, this past November of 2013.
    Talk to other runners on MFP, we all can give you good advice. There is nothing to be worried about
    If you do it slow. Main point, get good running shoes. They will make you or break you.
    Find your local running store and get fitted for the right shoes for your feet.
    Feel free to add me if you like.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I just started running 8 weeks ago. Just finished the c25k program and doing my first 5k tomorrow march 8th. I would really recommend that program and if you have a smart phone you can download the app for free. It incorporates a walking/running method and each week builds on itself and each week you get stronger. Get good running shoes and socks for running to avoid blisters. You can add me as a friend if you'd like. Listen to your body and you will be fine...Happy running
  • jirwin323
    jirwin323 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I took up running at 40 and ran the SF 1/2 marathon when I was 43 and 44. Now I am 52 and need two new knees - but that would have happen regardless as my knees have always been wonky. I do recommend you do a LOT of stretching of the hamstring/calves. As well do strength training specific to the hamstring and knee. If you feel ANY pain - STOP. Go to a PT and get it checked out. Oh and in case I forgot to mention - STRETCH.

Good luck - I miss running more than anything I've ever done and wish I had started when I was 20.
  • running_tall
    running_tall Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I tried at 38. I tried following a training program, and at around week 4...I did some damage to my knee. I got discouraged, quit, and gained even more weight during the next 6-8 months.

In January before my 40th birthday...I decided I had to get my weight off. I started with small changes. Each day, trying to do a little better than the day before. Within a month...I was walking again, never thinking I could actually start running again. But as the weight was coming off, and I was increasing my walking time...I started to ask myself, "why not?". So I began to add short jog intervals to my walking regimen. Even shorter than the beginning of the training program I had tried a year before. I figured no matter how little I was running, it was still more than I had been. And that's how I approached it. Every few days, I would increase my jog intervals only by a few seconds. After about a month, I restarted the training program. To make a long story less long...I was down 40 pounds by the time my 40th birthday came in May, and in June, I did my first 5K. Although I was slow....I ran the whole time, and I felt on top of the world that I accomplished something I never thought I could. And I learned so much about fitness and nutrition...and how they affect my body.

My advice to you is to START SLOW. Even slower than the training programs tell you if necessary. Anything you do is better than what you were doing before. Enjoy the journey and the little victories.

Good luck! You can do it.

:
  • Bxrlvr73
    Bxrlvr73 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Me! I started about a month before I turned 40, like others have said, C25K is a great program! Good Luck!
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I started running at 43. I have ran seven 5-K's and won first place in 3 of em.
  • hobbitgrrl
    Options
    I ran my first 5K late last year at age 40. I had immense success following the Couch to 5K program (the iPhone app is awesome). I went through the entire program without injury.

Sadly, my love of running was sidelined in November thanks to a bitterly cold winter and lack of treadmill access, but I'm back on track, planning to run a 10K this fall.

Take it slow & easy, and don't leave out the rest days. You'll do great! :)
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k at 44. I also started out doing couch to 5k which I hated but was determined to finish because it was on my bucket list! My also ran with me and she was 60 at the time. It was her first time as well and neither of us had ever run before. I still do run have a race coming up in April. For my mom it was just a one time thing for her but Kudos to her for sticking with it. Good luck and have fun. Oh and by the way my knees are fine!
  • grumpyfitness
    grumpyfitness Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do it. I started running last May at age 53.......first day was walk/run for 10 minutes. I ran a marathon last November, run 45-50 miles a week now. Lost 77 pounds. Feel great. No issues with knees or muscles.....got to start slow and build it up. Everyone is different.

Good luck!!!!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I started at 44 with a friend. But read this first:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I am starting C25K next week at 41. You are definitely not alone. :flowerforyou:

fleetzz - Thanks for posting that link!
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I started running at 46. I'm no speed demon and I can only do 5Ks so far, but I did it at first to prove to myself that I could do it. Good luck!
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I started running, as a hobby, at the age of 42. My friends thought I was nuts and at times, I though I was too, but I have run multiple 5k's (two more this weekend) and am training for my first 10K in June.
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I started at 41, 7 months ago...C25K, C210K, and now training for half marathon. I think starting slow has been the key to staying injury free (so far, knock on wood.) I'm slow but I am up to 6.5 mile runs. You can do it!
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Morbidly obese so I had to start walking for about a year to toughen up my feet and legs. Learned along the way that shoes mean almost everything after running too long on my old shoes especially being so overweight. If you knees start constantly hurting it is time to switch them out. When you first start, walk for about 5-10 minutes to start warming up. I use the method of when you run long, run slow. When you run short, run fast. My times have started dropping dramatically just running 2 times per week. Find motivation. Sign up for a 5k 6 months to a year from now. Work toward being able to finish the race running the whole way. I walked 5 minutes during my first mud run. I finished it so no shame in walking. I did it under an hour at 57 minutes. Next mud run is in 3 months. I want to finish it in under 45 minutes. Remember, if you are just starting to run at this time of your life, your knees, feet and ankles are still in good shape. Take care of them with proper warm up,equipment and stretching.
  • cerumens
    cerumens Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Started running with C25K in November at 43 after having never run in my life. I now run 3 times a week for about 3.5 miles. I never ever believe I could run but envied people who did. I am presently working on increasing my speed.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I started running at 45 and completed my first half last year at 46. I've had lots of people warn me about my knees...pfft.
  • tammyb1995
    tammyb1995 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am 46 just started a training program for a 5K....I have NEVER been able to run.......I am obese but have been walking for a few months..I have always told myself the same things you say others have told you...but this week I have pushed my self...as of now no pain...I do it at a slow jog but I will push through and do this.....you can do it..as long as you are in fairly decent health there should be no issues...go at your pace not someone elses...good luck
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Morbidly obese so I had to start walking for about a year to toughen up my feet and legs. Learned along the way that shoes mean almost everything after running too long on my old shoes especially being so overweight. If you knees start constantly hurting it is time to switch them out. When you first start, walk for about 5-10 minutes to start warming up. I use the method of when you run long, run slow. When you run short, run fast. My times have started dropping dramatically just running 2 times per week. Find motivation. Sign up for a 5k 6 months to a year from now. Work toward being able to finish the race running the whole way. I walked 5 minutes during my first mud run. I finished it so no shame in walking. I did it under an hour at 57 minutes. Next mud run is in 3 months. I want to finish it in under 45 minutes. Remember, if you are just starting to run at this time of your life, your knees, feet and ankles are still in good shape. Take care of them with proper warm up,equipment and stretching.

The shoe advice applies mostly if you run with poor form (think old school heel strike running - the kind that does ruin knees).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!