intermittent fasting

Options
hi,

I'm thinking about doing the 16/8 lean gains diet, I'll be breaking my fast at 1pm and finish it by 9pm. how does this look?

1pm- meal 1

5pm- pre workout meal

5.30pm - train with bcaa's

7pm- meal 2

8.30- snack

I'll be eating in a caloric deficit as I want to drop bf, should I eat high protein low carb high fat or high protein medium carb low fat?

I would appreciate any sort of help :) thanks brad

Replies

• bradleyyharris
    bradleyyharris Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    if you want to drop BF why not eat after training, if you eat before training uses the food not the body fat.
  • bradleyyharris
    Options
    I will be eating after training, aslong as I'm in a deficit does it really matter?
  • vslnrunner
    vslnrunner Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    No
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    if you want to drop BF why not eat after training, if you eat before training uses the food not the body fat.

So if cals and macros were held exactly the same, but timing of meals were different, you'd expect significantly different results in body fat loss?
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Look in groups. There are groups for 16:8, 5:2, JUDDD, general IF , etc.

They will be able to answer your questions.

:)
  • bradleyyharris
    Options
    Look in groups. There are groups for 16:8, 5:2, JUDDD, general IF , etc.

They will be able to answer your questions.

:)

Thanks. Where so I find these groups? I'm stuggling to find stuff on this site at the moment as I'm new to it lol
  • flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've found the best benefit of the intermittent fasting type diet is just the ease of use. The best diet is the one you can stick to. There is some science behind the 'fast' but the general philosophy of packing most of your calories into the evening just makes sense. I generally eat 400-600 high protein calories during the day (starting some time after noon, i'm not too strict). I workout right after work around then try to be done eating by 9 or 10. I can have a huge dinner and a snack and be so full and satisfied and still be within my calorie goals.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If you're getting a decent variety of protein in your food, not sure if you need BCAA supplements? I've generally seen them recommended for those looking to train fasted - as you get a good lot of 'proteiny stuff', but not so important if you've already eaten a decent varied diet.

I try to make sure I've had food before a weights workout and generally after too - though occasionally I've been busy and ended up training after 9. However, normally got enough food floating about in my gut than there will still be some being digested and so on.
  • drmarctagon
    drmarctagon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I use 16/8 also, eating between 12PM and 8PM.

12PM: Meal 1

2PM: Meal 2

4PM: Snack

7PM: Meal 3

I work out either first thing in the morning, around 6AM or right after work, about 5:30.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    No

^ +1
  • Apinget
    Apinget Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend IF on a daily basis but I will have a IF day on Thursday and Saturday.

I'll stop eating around 9-10 the previous evening and then go about my day usually starting my morning with a coffee and a tablespoon of coconut oil (not a true fast I know but the coffee keeps me going at work and the coconut oil provides ready energy chains for the body to prevent a slump). I'll break my fast after work around 1-2 resulting in a 16-18 hour fast depending on my hunger levels etc. I have trained during a fast and found no negative results, I lifted just as heavy, just as well and ate after my lifting.

My first IF experience I packed a snack to have in case I grew hungry, expecting my body to rebel and demand food. Surprisingly, not only did I not feel hungry, but I felt downright vibrant and energetic! I ended up eating around 2 just because I felt I should, not because I was hungry. I then ate a normal lunch, a snack and normal dinner totaling around 1200 calories (low for me since I lift). I felt no fatigue or ill effects. I'm not sure where you are in your weight loss journey or what your diet is looking like but I have a high fat, moderate protein and lower carb (only natural carbs from veggies and fruits rather than processed) so my body is in ketosis and fat adapted. I don't think I could have handled IF when I was eating 100+ carbs a day and my body was relying on sugars and starches rather than fats for energy. This being said I would def recommending the high fats, moderate proteins route, when your body has fats, it will burn fats. Make sure that when you're eating you are not eating at too high of a deficit, or it'll end up losing any muscle you have by forcing your body to metabolize itself (and not necessarily the fat you're wanting to target since muscle is more calorically expensive).

All this being said, I would research and read up on IF (which I did extensively before I made the leap) and listen to your body. If you get hungry, have a snack or coffee or something. Ultimately it's your health and your body and no two people are the same so you're responsible for researching and knowing what you're doing to yourself. I'm fond of Mark's Daily Apple for advice

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-questions-answers/#axzz2vHxAC77Q

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/#axzz2vHxAC77Q

Good luck!
  • bradleyyharris
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend IF on a daily basis but I will have a IF day on Thursday and Saturday.

I'll stop eating around 9-10 the previous evening and then go about my day usually starting my morning with a coffee and a tablespoon of coconut oil (not a true fast I know but the coffee keeps me going at work and the coconut oil provides ready energy chains for the body to prevent a slump). I'll break my fast after work around 1-2 resulting in a 16-18 hour fast depending on my hunger levels etc. I have trained during a fast and found no negative results, I lifted just as heavy, just as well and ate after my lifting.

My first IF experience I packed a snack to have in case I grew hungry, expecting my body to rebel and demand food. Surprisingly, not only did I not feel hungry, but I felt downright vibrant and energetic! I ended up eating around 2 just because I felt I should, not because I was hungry. I then ate a normal lunch, a snack and normal dinner totaling around 1200 calories (low for me since I lift). I felt no fatigue or ill effects. I'm not sure where you are in your weight loss journey or what your diet is looking like but I have a high fat, moderate protein and lower carb (only natural carbs from veggies and fruits rather than processed) so my body is in ketosis and fat adapted. I don't think I could have handled IF when I was eating 100+ carbs a day and my body was relying on sugars and starches rather than fats for energy. This being said I would def recommending the high fats, moderate proteins route, when your body has fats, it will burn fats. Make sure that when you're eating you are not eating at too high of a deficit, or it'll end up losing any muscle you have by forcing your body to metabolize itself (and not necessarily the fat you're wanting to target since muscle is more calorically expensive).

All this being said, I would research and read up on IF (which I did extensively before I made the leap) and listen to your body. If you get hungry, have a snack or coffee or something. Ultimately it's your health and your body and no two people are the same so you're responsible for researching and knowing what you're doing to yourself. I'm fond of Mark's Daily Apple for advice

Good luck!

Should I eat lower carbs and higher fats or low fat high carb?
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Here is a group search on IF. I know there are more, but start looking there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?utf8=✓&phrase=Intermittent+fasting&order=1&include_mature=false
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Lol
  • bradleyyharris
    Options
    Here is a group search on IF. I know there are more, but start looking there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?utf8=✓&phrase=Intermittent+fasting&order=1&include_mature=false

• Apinget
    Apinget Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Should I eat lower carbs and higher fats or low fat high carb?

if you're eating high fat there's no need to eat high carb as well, so if you're lowering your carbs raise your fats and vise versa :)

Lower carbs high fat works great for me, might not work well for you. I'd say try both to see which you like and which you feel better on. I have pre-diabetes so reducing my carbs makes me feel great while upping them makes me feel horrible.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few threads now on this forum re intermittent fasting, apologies for double posting but it might be helpful:
    First you calculate your BMR and TDEE:
    http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/

Here is the link to the 5:2 fast forum which is great in supplying you with answers.

http://thefastdiet.co.uk

In effect you are eating five days a week somewhere between your BMR and your TDEE and on two non consecutive days, I.e. Monday and Wednesday, you are only consuming 500 cal (women) and 600 cal (men). This will create a deficit of 3500 cal per week which is the equivalent of losing 1 pound in weight.

Now there is also 4:3 (same as above but three days fasting) and ADF (alternate day fasting), with the latter allowing you to not only consume what you want but also as much as you like. (ADF only)

All of the above can be combined with 16:8 (you eat ALL of your food within a time frame of 8 hours and you give your body a rest for 16); 20:4 or 22:2, the last ones allow you to eat within either four or two hours.

Now, I have done a combination of all the above and I have lost 8 kg in 12 weeks, which is in my particular case outstanding as I did not have to lose much. The more you have to lose the faster it goes.

I am now close to maintenance and so far am very happy with this way of losing weight.

And yes, you can work out on those days but you are NOT allowed to eat the calories back. You need to stick to your 500/600 cal and stay under your TDEE on non fast days.

Best of luck
    Stef.
    Edited by SKME2013 On March 4, 2014 2:24 PM
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I love it. Not for all the scientific stuff you hear. How it raises HGH levels and all that mess. I just enjoy eating large meals over 5-7 smaller meals. I take one large meal and a snack to work and eat a large meal and snack at home with the wife. I got tired of making eggs and stuff every night to have for breakfast at work. I was taking four meals to eat every three hours while at work. Too much stopping to eat. It made things simple for me.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    You do not need bcaa's since you are training with 2 pre-workout meals...

From the lean gains site...
    One pre-workout meal

This is the most common setup for my younger clients that are still in college or have flexible working hours.

Sample setup

12-1 PM or around lunch/noon: Pre-workout meal. Approximately 20-25% of daily total calorie intake.
    3-4 PM: Training should happen a few hours after the pre-workout meal.
    4-5 PM: Post-workout meal (largest meal).
    8-9 PM: Last meal before the fast.

Two pre-workout meals

This is the usual protocol for people with normal working hours.

Sample setup

12-1 PM or around lunch/noon: Meal one. Approximately 20-25% of daily total calorie intake.
    4-5 PM: Pre-workout meal. Roughly equal to the first meal.
    8-9 PM: Post-workout meal (largest meal).