Not losing pounds....but I feel thinner?

Options
I know this sounds nuts. I am currently in a Biggest Loser competition at my work and we weigh in every Wednesday. I have been losing 2-3 a week prior but have not lost anything this week. I feel lighter at least i think I do. Could the fact that I just started the gym have anything to do with it? Before I started the gym I was working horses every two days which was an awesome work out. Those girls got me sweating. Am I crazy or is this even possible?

Replies

• kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It is entirely possible to lose inches without seeing the scale budge. Start taking your measurements, they're quite telling.

Edited to add: It's also possible that you may be retaining water or some such, and your losses won't show this week. Mine liked to skip a week or two here and there. Wait it out, remember weight loss is not linear, and keep doing what you're doing. ^_^
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I haven't lost in about a week and a half but things are definitely shifting and shrinking. Even though the scale didn't move, I had to make my belt tighter and I fit into dresses that I haven't been able to wear in about a year.

My doctor wants me to stay off the scale for a month and just keep doing what I'm doing. Scales stress me out.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Don't always go by the scale. Body fat percentage, measurements and how your clothes fit can sometimes be better indicators. If you are doing something completely new your muscles could be retaining water at first.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    As aboev, weight is only 1 measurement, take you're body measurements as well and compare these as well.
    My trainer does a body fat assessment every 6 weeks, my weight loss probably wasn't where it should have been for me to be happy with it, however I had inches off everywhere with my waist and abdomen being the biggest losses.
    I get my upper arm, forearm, chest, waist, abdomen, hips/glutes, thigh and calve measurment taken with a tape measure and then also get sticking tabs put on that tells me my body fat weight and percentage, lean muscle weight, water etc which then calculates my BMI.
  • nwickart82
    nwickart82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thank you everyone! I will break out the tape when i get home.