Help Reducing Sugar

Options
Hi all,

I'm having a problem pretty much every day. I'm way under my calorie goal, but above my sugar quota by a lot. You can take a look at my diary here.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/SelkathNuggets

I'm trying to limit my fruit intake, but I can't completely cut it out, I love fruit. And vegetables have sugar too. What I could really use is some foods to boost my calories from carbohydrates, without packing on more sugar.

Today in fact, I'm 433 calories under my target and yet pretty much have to get it only from carbs, without sugar. How???

Probably also worth noting that I'm mostly following the paleolithic lifestyle, so no grains or dairy.

I'd appreciate any help you can give!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    grapes are the second highest sugar content fruit, behind banana. Avoid those two for a start.

Rice and pasta have carbs without sugar, to name but two.

Double check some of your entries too against other data sources, the sugar content of cabbage looked silly high.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    A quick glance at your diary shows that most of your sugar is from nutrient-dense sources like fruits and vegetables, which is a good thing. Why do you want to cut down on sugar? Do you have a medical reason to avoid it? If not, just treat sugar as a carb. If you do have a medical reason to avoid it, then you may want to talk to a professional to determine the best way to adjust your diet.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I agree that if there is no medical reason to reduce your sugar, don't worry about it. Especially if most of it is coming from things like fruit. I never even look at mine.
  • SelkathNuggets
    SelkathNuggets Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    grapes are the second highest sugar content fruit, behind banana. Avoid those two for a start.

Rice and pasta have carbs without sugar, to name but two.

Double check some of your entries too against other data sources, the sugar content of cabbage looked silly high.

Grr but so delicious... yeah that's been my thought. I think I have around two servings of fruit a day. As for the food sources, I tend to just go with the result near the top of the list with a decent number of confirmations.
  • SelkathNuggets
    Options
    Dunno why I can't quote this, but:
    "A quick glance at your diary shows that most of your sugar is from nutrient-dense sources like fruits and vegetables, which is a good thing. Why do you want to cut down on sugar? Do you have a medical reason to avoid it? If not, just treat sugar as a carb. If you do have a medical reason to avoid it, then you may want to talk to a professional to determine the best way to adjust your diet."

There's no medical reason. I don't have a source handy but I heard that excess sugar gets converted into fat. I am steadily losing weight but I enjoy all the food that I eat, and if I'm handicapping my progress by making unnecessary choices then I want to change it.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Excess sugar generally only gets converted to fat if you're in a caloric surplus.
  • SelkathNuggets
    Options
    So take today for instance. If I add 4 apples (which believe me I could do, I love fruit), I'll still be below my calorie target, adding just carbs. And also going over my sugar quota by ~100%. And that's okay? Totally ignore the sugar, if it comes from fruits/veggies?

(I added it to today's diary so you can see)

I'm a little wary of "just ignore" tactics. For over a year I've exercised and eaten "healthy". Over the past two months when I actually started logging all my food, instead of just assuming it'd work out, that's when I started seeing results.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out. As long as you're at a deficit you will still lose. :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So take today for instance. If I add 4 apples (which believe me I could do, I love fruit), I'll still be below my calorie target, adding just carbs. And also going over my sugar quota by ~100%. And that's okay? Totally ignore the sugar, if it comes from fruits/veggies?

someone wrote the guidelines, probably for a reason. If you believe them eat a starch, protein or fat which won't add sugar while providing calories.

If you don't believe the guidelines eat what you want. The sugar in fruit is just another carbohydrate.