Anyone started running at 40?

Options

Replies

• greytniki
    greytniki Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started running at age 45, in 2013 after a serious motorcycle accident in 2007 that left me with a shattered foot, fused ankle, bad shoulders, bad wrists, ruptured and then 1/2 of my colon removed and while waiting for back surgery which Ihad December 10th 2013. I was in the process (and still am) of losing weight. When i started jogging I had lost about 45 pounds. Since I have moved that number to 88 pounds towards my goal of 105 pounds lost. I started very slow. I started walking...lots. Then got to the point where I would walk alot and run a little. At first I didn't push all that hard. I walk/ran 5-6 days a week though. 3 to 3.5 miles a day. By November when my neuro surgeon told me I had to stop running until after surgery I was running 5-6 days a week 3.2 - 3.5 miles with no walking. After back surgery on December 10th the doctor told me I could start walking again slowly on January 6th. Surgeon says I can start running again on March 10th... thats in 3 days! I'm taking the afternoon off to go to the gym to run. You can do it...listen to your body, not the voices around you!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Close, I started C25K about 6 months before my 40th birthday, ran my first marathon the day after my 41st.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I started running again after 20 years at 45 or 46.
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Started at 42 and 225 lbs 5' 10" tall. Now 2 years later I'm at 165 lbs, and running almost daily. I got into it gradually. I found a local high school track, which is quarter mile around. I walked 1 lap, jogged 1 lap, walked 1 lap, jogged 1 lap, etc. until I had done 4 laps total jogging and 5 laps total walking. Made it fairly easy, and I wasn't hurting much the next day.

I continued that for a week, 5-6 times per week, and then switched to 1 walk, 2 jog, 1 walk, 2 jog, etc. Basically every week I would either increase the total amount of laps by 1 or 2, or make it so that I would do more laps of jogging in a row in between walking laps.

After a few months, I was up to running 5ks every day, with no walking except warmup and cooldown. I continued to do it 5-6 times per week. Of course when you're running 3+ miles per day, it gets boring on a track, so then I migrated to streets and roads and trails, and tracked my mileage using Nike + Running app, which has GPS tracking.

So bottom line is start easy and don't increase quickly. Your body needs to adjust to get used to the new exercise. If you get all gung ho and push yourself hard at the start, you can risk injury, but more likely you will put yourself in such muscle pain, that you will need to skip 2-3 days before your legs stop burning.
  • JoanneC1216
    JoanneC1216 Posts: 166
    Options
    I started running in 2009 at age 44. It was especially hard for me because of my asthma but it was something I have always wanted to do. I ran a few 5k's between 2009-2010 and then it just got harder for me to run outdoors with the extreme heat in the summer and the cold in the winter so I stopped. I do miss the awesome high that it gave me. Running on my treadmill doesn't compare to the outdoors.
  • nh38318
    nh38318 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Im 42 and started running after the New Year. Have just completed C25K and can run 40 minutes straight without stopping. 8wks ago I couldnt of run out of a burning building so have come a long way. I also suffer with asthma and it has helped no end with that. It has also helped me break through a plateau with my weight loss & most of all I LOVE IT!!.....lol

Didnt think I would ever say that!!
  • LynndaMaree
    LynndaMaree Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    I started running in 2009 at age 44. It was especially hard for me because of my asthma but it was something I have always wanted to do. I ran a few 5k's between 2009-2010 and then it just got harder for me to run outdoors with the extreme heat in the summer and the cold in the winter so I stopped. I do miss the awesome high that it gave me. Running on my treadmill doesn't compare to the outdoors.

You need betetr music. :wink:

I run most of my winter training on a treadmill and one thing I can say that's a huge plus, that first race you run - everything feels and looks like a wonderland.
  • beckih
    beckih Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was 39. I did some weight training a few months prior, which I think helped a lot. I did have some trouble with my knees and hips which was alleviated by only running 3 or 4 times a week instead of every day. Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    .anyone started running at 40.

I was 43, overweight with high blood pressure and a history of knee and ankle injuries. I started with a C25K programme and moved on from there to doing 35-40 km per week at the moment
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I was 38. My boss told me my uterus would fall out. :grumble: So far it hasn't!!!!
  • JoanneC1216
    JoanneC1216 Posts: 166
    Options

I run most of my winter training on a treadmill and one thing I can say that's a huge plus, that first race you run - everything feels and looks like a wonderland.

I must admit, I have pretty good running music for my treadmill. I trained throughout the winter as well, would run on inclines to make up for the "hilly" streets but I just found it dull compared to outdoors. I seems I can run outdoors in 50-70 degree weather and that's pretty much it without it feeling like someone is sitting on my chest.
  • 1213shell
    1213shell Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 a few months ago but started running when I was 48, after being diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I used the Couch 2 5K program on my own and have been in several 5K's, a couple of 10K's and a half-marathon. In fact, I'm running the Rodes City Run 10K (2nd leg of the KY Derby Triple Crown) tomorrow morning. The only big problem I've had was a really bad RA flare that took me out of commission for about 6 months. Aside from RA soreness, it's been great.....running (and lifting) has actually made the RA more tolerable. Good Luck!
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

I must admit, I have pretty good running music for my treadmill. I trained throughout the winter as well, would run on inclines to make up for the "hilly" streets but I just found it dull compared to outdoors. I seems I can run outdoors in 50-70 degree weather and that's pretty much it without it feeling like someone is sitting on my chest.

do you follow with a pulmonologist or a PG?
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Lots of inspiration here, I've been walking a lot myself (54 - 7 km a day with a half marathon walk goal for may) all the talk will have me on C 2 5K as well. (I looked at the program just need to download the app)
    I skied for a living a couple of years so my knees aren''t the best but i know the issues with them as well

Thanks to OP for posting because you got a discussion going that is inspiring others as well. Go for it
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Go to a specialty running store and get fitted for good shoes. Take it slow and enjoy! Be sure to stretch and cross train if you get trouble spots. Getting in a morning run is the best thing in the world!!!
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I started 3 weeks ago, I am 48. Am currently running 6K and working up to something more eventually. Started slow and am still slow, but I love it.
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    Nope !!! I Started At 57 !!!
  • Cath_Taylor
    Cath_Taylor Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi, wonderful people...anyone started running at 40. I am about to start a training session and a lot of people are scaring the hell out of me, that I will bust my knees or have a heart problem and all kinds of really morbid warnings. Is there anything I should keep in mind? I have never run, but I do yoga and till last year was in kettle bell training. I have been into some form of exercise most of my life. TIA any encouraging message would be wonderful :smile:

Fauja Singh started marathon training when he was 89!!! He retired from it at 101.

Read here:

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/athletics/at-101-marathon-runner-fauja-singh-calls-it-a-day/article4449054.ece

Oh & I'm 43 & restarted running last week!
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think I was over 40 - and I had no real history of working out - i had many a year of some basic cardio and strength training - I started running , then short races - then half marathons then ended up running a full marathon in just under 4 hours

take it slow - get good shoes - stretch, strength train
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!