Parsnip recipes, please!

Options
ibjent
ibjent Posts: 23 Member
I have never ate/cooked parsnips but want to give them a try.... Most recipes I have found call for mixing them with potatoes or baking them with lots of oil..... does anyone have recipes that are healthy?

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Love parsnips. I peel first then slice them, mix with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Put on a foil lined cookie sheet(because I'm lazy and don't want a pan to clean) and bake @400 till little brown. They carmelize and are just yummy...Enjoy ..
    Some people peel, and boil them just like a potato and mash. We raised them in our garden and love the taste..
  • amandagrandberry
    Options
    I just happened to watch this yesterday. Chef Alton Brown from his series "Good Eats" does a whole episode on Parsnips. I bet if you looked it up you could find it. He made a few different dishes with them, hope this helps.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Love them! I roast them in the oven, a little butter and salt, maybe a fresh parsley sprinkle when they are still firm but fork tender
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    These!

http://shrinkingkitchen.com/parsnip-fries-horseradish-rosemary-mayo/

Parnsnip fries with rosemary horseradish mayo. So good and healthy too. I've made these a bunch of times since I found this recipe a couple of months ago.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    They are great broiled!

Toss with just a tiny bit of olive oil and seasoning (I use salt & pepper, or a Mrs. Dash-type seasoning), and throw them on a broiler pan/baking sheet. Put them under the broiler for 5 minutes, flip/toss, back in for another 5 minutes.

I cook parsnips, carrots, potatoes, rutabaga and butternut squash like this frequently. It's very fast, easy, and tasty.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Julia Child Creamed Parsnips

1 1/2 cups water
    1/8 teaspoon salt 6 medium parsnips, peeled and cut
    2 tablespoons margarine
    1/4 cup fat free half and half

1. Combine water and salt and heat over medium to simmering to dissolve; add parsnips and cook until soft, about 20 minutes.

2. Drain well, then whip parsnips with margarine and fat free half & half until smooth with mixers.

3. Pour into a double boiler and heat gently over medium for 15 minutes.

4. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and serve immediately.
  • lydiaannepage
    lydiaannepage Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you want to roast without the oil/butter just cut them into slices or fries and add salt, pepper and whatever other flavor you want (rosemary is great) and then spray with cooking spray and roast turning half way through.

If you want to mash them without potatoes - you will have to use a food processor or immersion blender. Boil and then blend - to make them creamy a little non fat greek yogurt or low fat cream cheese mixed in - I like to top my whipped parsnips with salt pepper and parmesan cheese.

Enjoy - parsnips are amazing and delicious! :bigsmile:
  • bethhjanee
    bethhjanee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Parsnip Soup is really nice!
  • ibjent
    ibjent Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!