Cardio hater goes weightlifting

Options
Neonbeige
Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
No offense to those who love to do cardio, I just can´t. I tried though :-)

After luring on this site and checking out threads regarding weightlifting I decided I should officially join.

I am 36 years old, mom of two kids (8 and 5) and live in germany. I am very into reading and watching series- such as Doctor Who, Sherlock, Firefly, but also stuff like Criminal Minds, The Mentalist - depends on my mood. And I am absolutely obsessed with Calvin&Hobbes :-D

When I was younger I went to the gym pretty regularly and worked on the machines - never´ve been one to do courses or/and cardio. The only free weights I did were bench presses. But it never really occured to me that I could actually do free weights für excercises like squatting, deadlifting etc. Honestly I don´t remember how I got the idea I could...

But since then I´ve been checking several sites, Youtube and read NROWLFW (is that the appropriate short version? It seems so...long) and started reading "Starting Strength"- which I find to be very intersting.

Now I recently started the heavy lifting and I am already hooked. I really like the feeling it gives me and I am happy about all the informations I could find in this community. It´s really great.

So, yeah, that´s me...or a small part of me...

Replies

• Ready2Loose75
    Ready2Loose75 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, I hate Cardio with a passion and I love lifting. I still try to get in some as I will need it to continue dropping. I think the best way to get it in though is not doing the typical gym Cardio and find a program you enjoy. I'm looking at boxing fitness training with a punching bag. Fun and a great way to relieve stress.

Welcome to mfp. Love Doctor Who and Firefly to.
  • gkalmbach
    gkalmbach Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Firefly... nuff said! Oh yeah.. Criminal Minds - Love me some JJ

I know how you feel w/ that cardio.. it's a bear! I'm actually considers investing more into cardio and less in lifting for while. I kinda wanna drops this excess fat first.
  • drmastermind
    drmastermind Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    used to hate cardio but I found that hitting a heavy bag (boxing) burns just as many calories, jacks my heart rate up, uses quite a few muscles if you do it right (abs, arms, chest and legs) and is a lot more fun. I hate running with a passion but I did find that doing sprint training didn't bother me in the least, basically you run as fast as you can for 30sec to 1min then walk for 1-2 min. I found that the first time I saw myself sprinting at 10mph it was just as great of a feeling as when I did a 350lb dead lift.

Doctor Who, firefly, sherlock and lifing.. woot!
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks für your warm welcome :-)

Right now I only do cardio before the lifting to warm up a bit and that´s bearable, because I know it´s over soon and I am being rewarded with nicer stuff...Like my favourite food hanging in front of me...waiting...whispering....taunting, but actually rewarding me soon.

With only doing cardio this always felt unavailable, always out of reach. Like: wtf am I doing here and why? Which ended up in me avoiding the gym for a couple of weeks/months *cough* until I felt bad enough about myself (and it takes me a while to feel bad enough :-D)

@gkalmbach: I was hoping I could drop my fat without much cardio - I don´t feel like giving up this hope :-)

@drmastermind and @ready2loose75: thanks für the insight, maybe I´ll check that out, the boxing, not the sprinting - not yet at least

Anyway, “We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?” Doctor Who