First Triathlon Advice

Options
Hello everyone, with my weight journey I decided to sign up for my first triathlon (sprint distance) and began training 4 weeks ago. The race is on June 8th in Michigan. I was a very strong swimmer, competing in high school and College. I also enjoy riding my road bike during the summer. My weakest event would be the run and I am also worried about the transitions. Any advice about training, race day, gear and anything else helpful would be much appreciated. Also I am trying to get my pecs back in order but do not have weights is there a way to get my pecs using a push up regiment? Thanks for all the help.

Replies

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Things I would say spring to mind for me.

1 - June 8th in Michigan, if you are in the larger lakes for swimming the water is still going to be quite cold. For me in June I stand in the water for a somewhat icing affect after running. (Michigan here also)

2 - Start working on the running now.

3 - It's your first Triathlon. Just focus on finishing. Once you get the first one under your belt you will know the things you want to work on.

I have not compete in a Tri as of yet but am scheduled for one in Sept. I have a Century ride to prep for in June first.

Nice Polska tat BTW!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Lay out all your transition stuff, especially the night before, and practice walkthroughs so you can figure out your sequence of events. Not sure if you've done OWS, but practice that too, in the gear you will be wearing for the race. I second the "just finish" the bit of advice.

As far as gear, you can easily go overboard, so keep it simple and borrow/rent what you can until you figure out if triathlons are for you.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Rent a wetsuit and get some time in a lake. A pool is nice and all, but there's a significant "OH **** **** ME" moment the first time during an open water swim you see a hand rising up from the depths towards you.

Oh sure, from the shore you know that an entire class of new scuba divers are in the water, but that will still warm your suit if you aren't ready for it.

Practice your bricks, run through you transition set up, and practice the hell out of it. Swim, run, bike, as much as you can. Then get out there and finish.

Some things to keep in mind, during the race you need to take in water, and that does not include what's in the lake. You'll also need a little nutrition out there most probably, not because you're trying to replace what you're burning (not possible) but to delay feelings of being stuck in a meat grinder. Gus are great for that.

Some things worth splurging on:
    - Chamois Butt'r from paceline
    - Good tri shorts, or excellent bike shorts. If you have a bit of a gut obstructing your hips, it might be better ot use a singlet type set of shorts to keep them from getting out of position while you're working.
    - Good running shoes
    - A pool membership, or a gym that has a pool
    - Good nutrition options for your workouts and effort
    - Beer

Pecs - push up until you're tired of it, then a few thousand more.

Regarding transitions, set them up and practice them during bricks. There's also some great videos out there on transitions and theory... check out youtube.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I will also echo the "just finish".

I have done a few sprint tris, you have penty of time to get ready. For the running, a couch to 5K program would be a good start. Once you're comfortable with the running, try going straight from a bike ride to a run - your legs will feel weird but it gets better with repetition.

For gear, keep it simple. I prefer to put the cages on my road bike so I don't have to change shoes during the race. My normal gear: a pan of water to rinse feet in quickly to remove any sand, etc. sticking to them after coming out of the water. A towel to help dry my feet before putting on socks & running shoes. Last items - bike helmet & sunglasses.

Which tri are you doing?

Have fun!
  • blindedbyawesome
    blindedbyawesome Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I like the cage idea and water bowl for sand. I am doing the Grand Rapids Tri
  • blindedbyawesome
    blindedbyawesome Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of great advice, is the beer during or after : )
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Commenting as I've also just signed up for my first tri (Iron girl) and need all the advice I can get!!!
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list of n00bs signing up for their first Tri.

I'm doing a sprint in Aug. I've never done any swimming other than leisure and today was my first day in the pool. Holy carp I'll need all 6 months to get swimming ready!

**typos
  • smc0170
    smc0170 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Same here! I'm targeting the Ludington Lighthouse race late August.

Are there any good training regiments out there? I've been doing an extended version of C25K (up to 24 minutes running, 6 walking), and swimming between 1200-1500 a week for three days a week a piece. Adding in the bike worries me though. I don't have a bike that's suitable for this, nor do I know how to train bike.
  • Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first supersprint tri in Chicago this August! (I decided on supersprint because my swimming skills are so nonexistent that the sprint distance isn't realistic for me this year.) Please add me! I just joined a gym and I've been following a triathlon training plan.
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I've done a few triathlons - they are very addicting! Practice what you will do in transition. I usually lay my socks out on my shoes, have towel on top. Have clothes (if you are putting on over your suit) all ready, shorts bunched up to put on. Lay all your tools (watch, etc) out ready to grab. Remember that you will have a very tight space between other peoples stuff. You may want a granola bar or something to eat in transition, but practice eating what you will eat during the race.

I'm a strong swimmer too, but primarily a pool swimmer. I'm always shocked by the how cold the water is in the lake, and if it is a bigger race, then how crowded it is. Even though I used to life guard, it makes me a little panicky! My first race, I didn't want to get in the water, just wanted to go in to start, but I've learned even though I'm cold, I need to warm up. The first few strokes always take my breath away because I am panicked, so better to get that over with before the race starts.

WHen you practice your swimming, make sure to practice spotting. Do a few strokes, then look up where you are. You don't want to get off course and swim in the wrong direction!

Have fun! What I love about the triathlon is just when you are tired of doing something, you get to change! good luck! Please let me know if you have any other questions!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, with my weight journey I decided to sign up for my first triathlon (sprint distance) and began training 4 weeks ago. The race is on June 8th in Michigan. I was a very strong swimmer, competing in high school and College. I also enjoy riding my road bike during the summer. My weakest event would be the run and I am also worried about the transitions. Any advice about training, race day, gear and anything else helpful would be much appreciated. Also I am trying to get my pecs back in order but do not have weights is there a way to get my pecs using a push up regiment? Thanks for all the help.

First, I liked the book Your First Triathlon by Joe Friel. It has checklists and training programs plus goes over all the basics.

Is it pool or open water? If open water I echo the wetsuit suggestions. I also strongly recommend you get a wetsuit meant for swimming. I took someone else's advice and cheaped out and bought a Canadian Tire job. It was a hard lesson learned (lots of chafing and I ended up basically doggy paddling cause I could move my arms right).
    The other key to the swim is practice in similar conditions. I am really fortunate to have a local tri club. One of our top athetes (former pro) puts on a little intro workshop. I remember talking to a woman there who told me about how she had a panic attack in the water the first time. She was a former lifeguard and did not expect to have any problems. She told me to "just breathe". I had a really rough swim (combination of nerves, adreneline, all the people, still not being totally comfortable with open water plus the above noted wetsuit issue) and I remembered her story. I just focused on calming down and breathing and I made it. Really, just breathe. (this is not just for you but the other newbies reading too JIC)
    If its open water, get some open water swims in. Our tri club starts open water in April or May (we are farther North than Michigan), with wetsuits of course. It IS different.

Practice transistion. It isn't recommended to do all 3 in one day unless its race day but do some brick workouts (going from bike to run). I honestly never really practiced water to bike.

For gear - it is what you can afford/what you have.
    Wetsuit - if required - as noted above, strongly recommend if needed. You can rent them. Or you can find a sale or cheap entry level ones, Again, depending on how much you want to invest. After I returned the a/n horror to Canadian Tire I went with an Xterra entry level. They used to have a $99 model but I think its like $129. Google coupon codes, they always have one available for half off (that would give you the $129 prices, so its listed as $350 or something).
    Under the wetsuit - If you wear a bathing suit you have to change. My first I wore a sports bra, running tank and running short tights. I just stripped off the suit and went on the bike in that.
    You can invest in a tri suit. They come in one piece or a top and bottom. They have the built in chamois that is thinner so some comfort on the bike but doesn't get too weighed down with water. I now have a club tri suit but ran my first races without one. 20k on the bike isn't a huge distance so I didn't miss the shorts. For longer race I would go tri shorts.

Check out what your transition is liek. My favorite one is abit of a distance over a rocky path to the bike so I have a pair of flip flops waiting. The tougher people just rough it.

A tri bike is awesome but expensive, esp if you aren't sure you are going to stick with the sport. A road bike is nice. You can even get aero bars (becareful because sometimes the position they put you may not be ideal and can cause some pain). But really you can do it on any bike. If you have a mountain type bike, I would suggest switching out the tires for less knobby ones. I have a road bike, no aero bars. I do have clipless pedals, another nice to have, not necessary but really nice to have. Socks are a preference on the bike.

Helmet is a required must. Read the rules. Most require you to have the helmet on and buckled before you touch the bike. I put mine on my handle bars with the straps open. Its the first thing I do in transition so I don't forget.

Run is pretty easy. You may have to change shoes if you have bike shoes. May want to have a hat handy or an extra layer.

I set up my transition so everything is accessible in order. I usually have an extra long sleeve shirt, and a towel. Check the rules, they are often strict on space allowance. Most rules I've seen is you can have the width of your handle bars.

Practice what you will eat the morning of and during the race. A sprint you don't really need to eat anything but if you want to go ahead.

Honestly, I don't think you'll have a problem. The swim is what most people struggle with.

I was overweight and just learned to swim properly, a mediocre cyclist and barely a runner. I didn't even follow a formal training plan. I made it. My goal was just to finish and I did. I was last :laugh: but it was a very small race (less than 100). Its not that bad.

Read the rules, they usually go over them the day of too.

That's all I can think of now. Good luck and have fun. Becareful, its addicting.

ETA- and yes to everything the above poster said. Spotting is very important too. It take practice. 3 strokes, spot is what I do.