Help me!

Options
My name is Vanessa, 35 years old, mother of 3 boys and wife of a firefighter. Somehow my personal health has fallen to wayside and I need support to motivate and encourage me. I live in the Cincinnati area and I like to read and write. I've belonged to a local gym for more than 4 years and weigh significantly more than when I joined. I am starting over and really need support. My husband works a lot and so he's not the best choice for this. Again, HELP!

Replies

• jackiedif
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am 38 and have 2 kids and need this for extra motivation too.
  • alouise81
    Options
    feel free to add me too! I've lost over 100Ibs:)
  • ChiJenn
    ChiJenn Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You can add me. I just started back again due to a knee injury. I am a mom of 2 girls in my 40's, looking to firm up and get rid of 20-30 pounds. Been at it forever!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    here:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

this could help.
  • skinnyinside8
    Options
    Okay off topic. But im here to support and be supported also. But I have a question. How do you all get these cool little boxes after your posts showing you pound lossage? Ha
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Okay off topic. But im here to support and be supported also. But I have a question. How do you all get these cool little boxes after your posts showing you pound lossage? Ha
    Click the APPS tab at the top of the page, and then look for "Tickers" on the right hand side. Click that and follow the steps to get your own set up.

And to the OP - the advice that Trog posted up there is awesome - he knows whereof he speaks! :bigsmile: MFP is a wonderful tool when used correctly, read the advice there and make sure you're settings are correct, and then get started!

Good luck to you!
  • skinnyinside8
    Options
    Totally got it! Thanks
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I second Trog's advice! You said you like to read, so read everything he posted. :-)

Here are 2 links on motivation and getting started that I found to be VERY helpful. I re-read them on a regular basis:

Decision not Motivation. - http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/fitness-motivation

Forget about your goals - have a system - http://jamesclear.com/goals-systems

Good luck!
  • vpnoble
    vpnoble Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for all of the adds and the advice. I had a sick kid last night so I didn't have time to look at all of the links and read everything Trog posted. That's a big part of my problem as well, I need to learn to better balance my life versus my goals. I did read a lot of what Trog said and will print it out to carry with me (and read all of it)

I have no intention of jumping on a fad diet. I would like to maintain the same diet I'm on now as I don't eat too badly. I just need to limit portions and I do find when I am in a good routine with exercise I tend to make wiser food choices anyway. I don't want to lose weight too quickly and don't mind if I don't lose any given week as long as I know I'm making healthier and smarter choices in terms of exercise and fitness. I also don't have a true goal weight in mind. I just want to be healthier. If that healthy comes when I still have a little meat on my bones so what. I know I'm not healthy now and that's the big problem.
  • Wifenmomma
    Wifenmomma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi. My husband works a lot too so I came on here for the extra support. I know how you feel about things getting out of control. I am looking to change my eating lifestyle, not just a temporary diet. Feel free to add me for extra motivation. Good luck to you!!
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    I second Trog's advice! You said you like to read, so read everything he posted. :-)

Have followed a lot of what he wrote and I amvery close ot my goal weight. Have lost 80lbs so far.

Feel free to add.

I will provide support and encouragement.
  • mistyloveslife
    mistyloveslife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm from Lexington KY area so I'm not too far away. Met one of my best friends on a weight loss website after my 2nd child and still talk to her every week. A support group is the most important part of this journey.
  • kilverstone
    kilverstone Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I am always happy to help support and motivate others. :)
  • Traciaq
    Traciaq Posts: 29
    Options
    feel free to add me also, more support the better
  • CaroleJeff
    Options
    "Tweek your food" pull down on the food so the other evening I wanted sushi. I put in what sushi I wanted to eat and oh boy I would have gained weight! So I ate way less and gained only a pound! So bottom line the food imput will show you where you have problems and where you are eating well. Look at sugar fat and sodium keeping calories at a low point if you are too low it
    will say that. I do not exercise until my body says it is good right now I am walking walking walking pretty soon I will have the motivation to move faster but inflammation in my back is still evident.
  • purpledaisy4
    Options
    feel free to add me i have two kids and a low food budget so fell into very bad traps
    i will motivate if u motivate back
    tho seriously can i start the twinkieand vodka diet sounds fab :D
    im learning portion control slowly but i do belive its my biggest issue along with booze and would love some friends to help me