To mothers with children with ADHD and on meds

Options
sculley
sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
I need to know when your child started taking meds how long did it take to start showing improvement?

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    One kid responded really well and within 3 days was a delight to be around. The other one is still a work in progress and every 3 months we have to try something new. He's 14! Both my boys started on meds in first grade and it truly saved them.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Mine has ADD, not ADHD, but he's been on meds since first grade (Adderol, which was AWFUL, then Ritalin, which has been great) and there was a slight difference within a few days and a BIG difference within 2 weeks.
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    Both of my girls started around 7 yrs old. The older one took them for the school year, then we worked to get off them (her choice). the younger daughter has been on them for 2-3 years now. She definitely has more problems than just ADD so we won't take her off at this point. When her dosing was lower we didn't see as much of a difference. Now that they've increased her dose, it's like night and day! The effects are immediate because it's one of those drugs that doesn't have to build up in your system. It goes in, then comes back out within 12 hours (She's on Concerta, the older one was ADHD and was on Adderal).
  • amangie1
    amangie1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My oldest son who is now 9 started taking meds in first grade, he was very emotional for the first few weeks and then everything leveled out and he was able to focus more. We finally got his dosage set right and he is doing very well .
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    My son is 4 and has been taking them for about a year or so. They meds make a difference quickly but we've had to change his meds often because his body got used to it.
  • dino1147
    dino1147 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My son was almost 10 when we started Adderall, he was ADD. He continued through junior high, but in high school wanted to wean himself off. He struggles with it and I've encouraged him to look into alternative meds now that he is 21. We saw an improvement within a week.

NOTE my stepson is clearly not ADD but takes concerta because his mother is trying to get him diagnosed with something, anything at this point, even autism. But he's just a normal boy and when he takes his ADD meds he is off the wall. Our choices are to not give them to him while he is here, which makes for a great visit, or to limit our visits to a few times a year because of his behavior on the meds.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    My daughter has been taking Concerta (the best in my opinion!!) for 5 years...I'd say it took about a week to start working initially.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    my son started taking meds in kindergarten, he did alright for awhile, as he got older he wouldnt take the meds any more because he didnt like the way they made him feel. i would suggest that you find a good consular (sp) to talk with your child on a regular basic, my son did a lot better when he went was recommended to counsel services outside his school, we even found one that came to see him at his school, plus one monthly family meeting, whole family if everyone is willing
  • sculley
    Options
    Im having some concerns which is why I ask. I have my son on a low dosage of ritalin....he is alittle more hyper and still emotional etc he is only 5 and started taking this medicine almost a week ago. SO I am just wondering if i need to contact the doctor for a higher dosage because he is on 10mg right now.....
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    We have our son on the lowest dosage possible. The effect is subtle and just enough to help him stay focused and not fidget in order to get through his day at school. He doesn't take it on non-school days.
  • tabbiekaye23
    tabbiekaye23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    All kids react different to different medications. It is a trial and error. Just keep the doctor informed on how he is doing.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My daughter has been taking Concerta (the best in my opinion!!) for 5 years...I'd say it took about a week to start working initially.

My daughter is also on Concerta, she started it in 2nd grade (she really needed it for 1st) but it took about a week for her to really show improvements. My daughter is now in 10th grade so it's been 8 years. I definitely can tell when she skips a day. Her dosage of Concerta is the lowest from what I understand and it's 18mg. She has a mild case of ADHD. Mainly to help keep her focused and not fidget.

I also think my son in 3rd grade really needs it. We have his teacher monitoring a few things because the doctor wants the teacher to write down a few things before she will prescribe it. My son can't focus well and fidgets a lot as well.

Good luck to you.
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My 10 year old son has been on meds since the end of the 1st grade and it took a few months to get the right medicine with the right dose. he is on Focalin and Intunive and he is doing great! He is getting to the point where he can control SOME of his symptoms when he come down from his meds. I can def. tell when he forgot to take them. Hang in there it does eventually get easier.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    My son took his from the age of five, it worked right away. I never gave it to him out of school and I managed his behaviour in ways that helped him learn to deal with his ADHD rather than spend his time medicated to conform. We took him to the Maudsley Teaching Hospital in London and they gave us good advice on how to support him (he also has a diagnosis of a Pervasive Developmental Disorder on the Autistic spectrum) I felt that the medication (Ritalin and then concerta) was only for his benefit to enable him to access education without being constantly in trouble. I take issue with people who use ADHD as an excuse to let their children behave badly, my son was lively and had/has difficulty in sitting still and concentrating on tasks, is forgetful and impulsive, but polite, well mannered, kind thoughtful and although noisy and boisterous, is a joy.

He came off his meds at the age of 14, it was his own decision as he at that time wanted to join the army and was told that he could not join unless he was at least two years medication free, so he stopped taking it following a talk with his consultant.

He is now 18, still in education, although he needs some reminding to complete course work and keep on task, he holds down a part time job and is my pride and joy.
  • sculley
    Options
    My son took his from the age of five, it worked right away. I never gave it to him out of school and I managed his behaviour in ways that helped him learn to deal with his ADHD rather than spend his time medicated to conform. We took him to the Maudsley Teaching Hospital in London and they gave us good advice on how to support him (he also has a diagnosis of a Pervasive Developmental Disorder on the Autistic spectrum) I felt that the medication (Ritalin and then concerta) was only for his benefit to enable him to access education without being constantly in trouble. I take issue with people who use ADHD as an excuse to let their children behave badly, my son was lively and had/has difficulty in sitting still and concentrating on tasks, is forgetful and impulsive, but polite, well mannered, kind thoughtful and although noisy and boisterous, is a joy.

He came off his meds at the age of 14, it was his own decision as he at that time wanted to join the army and was told that he could not join unless he was at least two years medication free, so he stopped taking it following a talk with his consultant.

He is now 18, still in education, although he needs some reminding to complete course work and keep on task, he holds down a part time job and is my pride and joy.

I try not to use it as an excuse but its been very stressful for him and me. He is not doing well at school and he is not doing well with people that need to care for him...Sometimes I try to sympathize because I am a very hard mom on him. My son was diagnosed PDD-NOS also and I have been through many therapies etc with him on that and have also resorted to meds as a last straw so this was a very hard decision for me....Therapy etc can only do so much and it doesn't work completely for every child trust me I tried the therapy diet etc for almost 3 years........after 3 years I have finally decided to try meds.
  • BrattyLori
    BrattyLori Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My son was almost 10 when we started Adderall, he was ADD. He continued through junior high, but in high school wanted to wean himself off. He struggles with it and I've encouraged him to look into alternative meds now that he is 21. We saw an improvement within a week.

NOTE my stepson is clearly not ADD but takes concerta because his mother is trying to get him diagnosed with something, anything at this point, even autism. But he's just a normal boy and when he takes his ADD meds he is off the wall. Our choices are to not give them to him while he is here, which makes for a great visit, or to limit our visits to a few times a year because of his behavior on the meds.

OMG. To say that a doctor would give medication for no reason other than that a mom asks for it is preposterous. Honestly, you sound like a nightmare for the mom AND for the child.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Josh has never had therapy, sorry if you misunderstood. (I am not aware of therapy for ADHD/PDD in the UK anyway, we are not big on therapists in this country) He has his diagnosis at the Maudsley and we were given advice but that is it. In fact I was told he would not attend mainstream school and would get worse as he got older. I was trying to be positive for you, but maybe it read in a negative way. I hope that you are able to find a good balance for your son :-)

Josh is a fine handsome young man, he gave me away at my Wedding last year and made a speech in front of 80 people. I am hugely proud of him and what he has achieved despite his difficulties.
  • dino1147
    dino1147 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    BrattyLori - I"m not sure why you think it is preposterous, whether from naivete or what. But many Dr.'s have been convicted of just that, as well as many mothers. You made a judgement against me without knowing the full facts. Should I go into the long list of ailments and different doctors she has drug him to before she found one that goes along with her latest diagnosis? By the way the state pays for all of this care, both he and his older sister come to visit with usually 4 to 6 medications. Some clearly negating the effects of others. The children are not on our insurance because the doctor's in her area that accept it won't prescribe as she wishes.

There are so many things I could tell you, she doesn't work because she might be diabetic. Never been tested, but thinks she might be so she stays home. Last week she said "I have vertigo and can never get a job". The list goes on, and is worse. Her attention seeking encompasses both her and her children's lives.

But thank you for judging me as nightmare to her and the children, btw I have 3 well adjusted children of my own, including my son with ADD. Who, if you'll notice, I believe needs to be back on his medication but is an adult now and that is his decision.
  • sculley
    Options
    Josh has never had therapy, sorry if you misunderstood. (I am not aware of therapy for ADHD/PDD in the UK anyway, we are not big on therapists in this country) He has his diagnosis at the Maudsley and we were given advice but that is it. In fact I was told he would not attend mainstream school and would get worse as he got older. I was trying to be positive for you, but maybe it read in a negative way. I hope that you are able to find a good balance for your son :-)

Josh is a fine handsome young man, he gave me away at my Wedding last year and made a speech in front of 80 people. I am hugely proud of him and what he has achieved despite his difficulties.

Im sorry if you took my response in a negative way at all i wasnt trying to lash back or anything :( I appreciate your thoughts experiences and advice. I wish they wouldn't mainstream a child in the states i am currently fighting that right now :(
  • ciaobella47
    ciaobella47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    What type of doctor do you see for your childrens ADHD? Child psychiatrist? Just your regular family doctor?.....