Are tracking macros even important?

Options
I have been loosely considering getting my macros under control. I've been kind of flirting with that idea.. but when I look at my diary... I just laugh. It's impossible. I'm vegetarian and eat at a deficit. The only thing I care about at the moment is my protein content which I average anywhere from 80-90 grams per day.

That being said. My sources of protein comes from tons of legumes. LEGUMES EVERYWHERE...and a daily protein shake. I still make my deficit but my carb content is usually around 50-65% with my protein being usually 23-29%. Then whatever is left is fat. Also. I don't eat much processed carbs btw. All of this is complex carbs.

I hear people talk about this 40-40-20 ratio... is it this some kind of ideal thing? Should I strive for this? I mean I feel I could if I drank nothing but protein shakes (the ratio in my protein shakes are pretty close to this 40-40-20 ratio) all day but sadly.. I actually like to eat my nutrients and not drink it.

Replies

• mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    The one I keep my eye on the most is protein. I try to hit a certain protein goal each day, then I let the carbs and fats fall where they fall. I have my ratio set to 40c/30p/30f I think, and I'm usually pretty close. Whatever works for you, there is no across-the-board ideal ratio.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question. Yes they are important. But the ratio is very different for each person.
  • Via88
    Via88 Posts: 46
    Options
    I agree I think protein is the most important, I have my goals for 40% protein 35%fat and 25% carb because my body doesn't do well with carbs. I usually get pretty close but yes somedays are off, I say just do the best you can but concentrate mostly on protein, especially if you are working out alot.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Percentages are meaningless.

Not knowing your stats, your protein goal is probably pretty good. About 0.8-1.0 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass is a good general goal. Depending upon your deficit, that may be 20%, 25%, 30%... And 0.3-0.35 grams of fat per pound of total bodyweight is generally recommended. The rest can be carbs, alcohol, more protein, more fat, or (most likely) some combination of the above.

Here's a good thread to explain things a little better: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I only care about protein.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I make sure I get the right number of grams of protein so I can maintain my LBM while losing fat. I also make sure I get enough fat. Protein & fat are extremely important for our bodies to function. I really don't pay much attention to carbs because mine are almost all vegetables & there is no science-based nutritional requirement for carbs.

I agree that percentages are not important but getting the number of grams we need is important. Those numbers are different for everyone based on body composition.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That being said. My sources of protein comes from tons of legumes. LEGUMES EVERYWHERE...and a daily protein shake. I still make my deficit but my carb content is usually around 50-65% with my protein being usually 23-29%. Then whatever is left is fat. Also. I don't eat much processed carbs btw. All of this is complex carbs.

This sounds like a healthy diet. Unless you are experiencing some type of problem with diet, I'd say you are doing just fine.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I think it is also a matter of preference. As long as you are losing, you shouldn't change anything until you stall. Then maybe you can alter how many grams of carbs or sugar you consume.

& ditto to protein.