Calories to gain wait

Hello: Does anyone know how many calories you have to eat one day to gain a pound? I was awful yesterday and I want to know, so I don't do it again.

Replies

• Maggs1959
    Maggs1959 Posts: 4 Member
    I am Maggs 1959
  • little_firebug
    little_firebug Posts: 22 Member
    I have heard that 3500 calories=1 pound.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    First you need to know your TDEE. This is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's the number of calories your body burns in a day and also the number of calories you can eat to maintain your current weight. Anything below this number and you should lose. Anything above it and you should gain.

How much you gain is dependent upon how far over you are. As one of the posters above me said, it takes about 3500 calories above and beyond your TDEE in order to gain a pound.

But you also have to factor other things into this. Your weight is never going to be constant from day to day. Water weight fluctuates due to hormones, hydration levels, sodium, carbs, exercise, stress, etc. Going off of your diet can cause your body to store a little extra water, which can cause a small jump on the scale. But this is a temporary fluctuation and will disappear as you get back on track.