At it for 5 weeks and not sure if I'm eating right

Options
Hi all,
I've been at it for 5 weeks now, I feel great and I'm loving becoming more active. I started weight training 2days on my first week, 3 days in my second week and then I introduced cardio in my off days from weights. So now I'm up to about 40 minutes per day cardio (5-6days per week) last week I was sick so I took weekend off. And 3 days per week weight training.
I'm really enjoying it, I've increased my weights a lot and I'm pushing my self a lot.

I don't feel hungry and I'm trying to keep my journal as true as possible.
I feel like I could be losing more weight?
I do noticed size is down but I didn't take measurements.

I've made my journal public and I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice on anything I should change to see better results?

Thnx

Replies

• sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Just a few things and I'm by no means an expert.

1. Watch your sodium intake. It could be causing you to bloat and that may be why you're not seeing as much weight loss as you want.
    2. Start taking measurements immediately
    3. Start logging more consistently. I noticed a few days back you hadn't logged or were inconsistent
    4. You're also under 1200 on some days. You should try to stay above that number unless you're being advised by a dr as to why you shouldn't.
    5. Be more patient. 5 weeks isn't a long time.

That's all i got for ya.

:)
    ETA: I'm just assuming weight loss is your goal here.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is the minimum safe recommendation for a sedentary woman. You appear to be neither. You should be eating more.
  • rockabilly77
    rockabilly77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thnx,
    I was sick last week and didn't fill In a few days but went back and rebuilt it.
    I do find it hard to keep the sodium levels low, I will have to try harder.

I've noticed I am under cals on some days.
    Would eating more be better then say just having another protien shake?

I don't understand the adjustment for excersise and if I should be increasing my food intake to get my "net" to my goal calories or I should be just hitting my goal on my "food".
    To be honest I feel full and I'm not sure what/if I should be eating more
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thnx,
    I was sick last week and didn't fill In a few days but went back and rebuilt it.
    I do find it hard to keep the sodium levels low, I will have to try harder.

I've noticed I am under cals on some days.
    Would eating more be better then say just having another protien shake?

I don't understand the adjustment for excersise and if I should be increasing my food intake to get my "net" to my goal calories or I should be just hitting my goal on my "food".
    To be honest I feel full and I'm not sure what/if I should be eating more

Feeling hungry or full isn't always the best indicator that you're getting enough nutrients. Appetite can be suppressed by too many things, including prolonged undereating and exercise. You have to look at the big picture, including mood, energy levels, performance, concentration, etc. A protein shake is a good way to get a quick boost. You could also look into adding some more calorie dense foods to your diet like nuts, nut butter, olive oil, avocado, cheese, ice cream, Greek yogurt, granola, etc. These can help boost your meals by a few hundred calories without forcing you to eat a lot of extra food.

Yes, with the way MFP is set up you are supposed to be eating the extra calories you earn through exercise. I'll add the caveat that this assumes you're getting an accurate estimation of how many calories you're burning. Gym machines and MFP estimates tend to overestimate some activities. Eating back 50-75% is usually a safe compromise.

Of course, it's your choice where to set your calorie goals, but the larger the deficit the more likely it is that you're going to lose muscle along with the fat. Our bodies can only metabolize so much fat at any given time and if they can't get the energy they need to keep us going from the fat then they'll start to breakdown muscle as well. This is why MFP is set up to keep your calorie goal as high as it does.

If you haven't come across it yet, I really thing that the Sexypants guide is a good starting point. It's a lot of reading (and all of the linked posts are worth a read too) but it's full of important information that should get you going in the right direction: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • katrinalynn1886
    katrinalynn1886 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would try eating more often during the day if you're feeling full and not meeting 1200 calories.I eat all day lol.....yogurt for breakfast 2 hrs later some sort of protein, then lunch. Dinner around 5 and a snack like a 100 cal snack pack of some sort. My exercise isn't even that scheduled and I have lost 20 lbs in a month. Looked at the diary and I also think you need some *gasp* carbs......It's more about eating a balanced diet than cutting something out completely. I tried that before and gained twice what I lost once I started eating normally. Get some whole wheat in there.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I was eating regularly, eating the total calories MFP suggested and working out 5 days a week and for almost 2 months I didn't lose a single pound. My sodium intake was pretty heavy so I reduced the sodium from my diet considerably and within 3 days I lost 9 pounds. I am now really careful with my sodium intake. Just drinking water isn't enough to counter it.

To see if this is the issue for you, make a week where you don't go over your sodium for the day and eat your total calories each day and see if this makes any difference on the scale.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Here's my two cents worth. Before people start jumping in, I know many will disagree with me. I'm also sure many will agree.

No matter how active we are, we all have days when we hang out on the sofa. Weather it is because we are tired, sick, or just having a lazy day we all do it. So with that in mind I filled out my profile as sedentary, wanting to loose a pound a week. When I exercise I log it. If I have a particularly active day I take it as a gift of extra calories burned. I eat back about 50 to 75% of my calories burned ... sometimes all of them but rarely. That is what I recommend others to do. I've had people argue that they walk a lot at work and should get credit for that. So I tell them to wear a pedometer and log their steps at the end of the day.

Others will tell you eat a bunch of meals, others will tell you to eat fewer meals, others will tell you no carbs, no meat etc. etc. etc.

I tell people find what is right for you where the food is concerned. Be sure not to be too limiting, allow yourself the foods you like, but keep it under control. Measure and re measure do not estimate. Good luck.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Here's my two cents worth. Before people start jumping in, I know many will disagree with me. I'm also sure many will agree.

No matter how active we are, we all have days when we hang out on the sofa. Weather it is because we are tired, sick, or just having a lazy day we all do it. So with that in mind I filled out my profile as sedentary, wanting to loose a pound a week. When I exercise I log it. If I have a particularly active day I take it as a gift of extra calories burned. I eat back about 50 to 75% of my calories burned ... sometimes all of them but rarely. That is what I recommend others to do. I've had people argue that they walk a lot at work and should get credit for that. So I tell them to wear a pedometer and log their steps at the end of the day.

Others will tell you eat a bunch of meals, others will tell you to eat fewer meals, others will tell you no carbs, no meat etc. etc. etc.

I tell people find what is right for you where the food is concerned. Be sure not to be too limiting, allow yourself the foods you like, but keep it under control. Measure and re measure do not estimate. Good luck.

I agree with everything you said here
  • Watermelon398
    Watermelon398 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congrats on feeling good! That's a good start :)

I would say that you should watch your sodium, it can really jack up your weight. Make sure you eat 3 meals every day to keep your body's metabolism up and burning. And take a fiber supplement or eat some higher fiber foods. You might feel full because you're eating a lot of heavy foods that just kind of sit there.

I do not eat back the calories that I burn, but I always make sure that I have eaten at least 1200-1300 calories a day. And if I feel weak or like I need more food, then I listen to my body and eat it.

Good luck!