Laxative...

Options
Anyone from the UK who has tried laxatives without horrible side effects? I have looked at loads and have no idea which would be best, I just want a little clearout and losing a little weight would be a bonus!

Thanks

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    A good chiropractor will clear you out, no laxatives necessary. Mine pushes on my colon. Hurts if I haven't been eating right that month. 2 days later, I'm 3-4 lbs lighter.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Anyone from the UK who has tried laxatives without horrible side effects? I have looked at loads and have no idea which would be best, I just want a little clearout and losing a little weight would be a bonus!

Thanks

If you want to 'clear out' maybe try a healthy cleansing system. I don't know about laxitives. Be careful with anything that 'cleans' you out. It will take nutrients and healthy digestive bacteria along with all the crap.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Be careful with things like that.......it can become very addictive....and is not in the least bit healthy... I have had several friends that have been hospitalized for abuse of laxatives.... its not pretty
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Laxatives are HORRIBLE for your body. Do it the old fassion way.

Try a cleanse if you want to clear yourself out.
  • WonderLady
    Options
    have u tried adding physillium husk or flax seeds in your daily menu?i think that can help clearing the colon in a natural way.of course with lots of water consumption.
  • ismatts
    Options

Thanks

YIKES dont do that.
  • SkinnySkelton
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I think I'll try something herbal. Definately don't want to be hospitalized!!
  • kitujainen
    kitujainen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    my anorexic friend had her rectum droop out... She said they dont make u lose weight!
    I believe her i just cant get to number two.
  • jessimacar
    Options
    OK, so I'm sure hearing about how you shouldn't do it isn't the advice you were looking for (even though I have to agree with everyone). I'm not from the UK, but I've had to take a laxative before to counteract taking other medication. In Canada we have Senokot-S. It's a natural laxative, and is very gentle. If you're having troubles..relieving yourself.. this is a better alternative than the other options, or so I found. It "cleared me out" without making me run to the washroom with fear. Lol. It relieved my issues, and put me back to normal without any crazy sideeffects. :) If they sell it in the UK as well, I'd say it's a great choice.

If you're not having any issues though, I don't recommend using a laxative, like everyone else has said.. Eat more bran, and fibre.. you'll be cleaned out soon enough. Lol.
  • kianaik
    kianaik Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    have u tried adding physillium husk or flax seeds in your daily menu?i think that can help clearing the colon in a natural way.of course with lots of water consumption.

You can mix psyllium husk powder in with your food or take it in capsule form. It just helps make you more regular than anything.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Yeah...don't mean to scare you or anything....but it really can become a cycle that is hard to break once you start it...so if you only want to take them for a little weight to come off, I would definitely seek other more natural ways to do it...
    good luck!
  • bluejean1012
    bluejean1012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing a cleanse right now and I would highly recommend it. It is the Renew Life CleanseSmart. It is a 30 day program and you take two pills in the morning and two at night. It detoxes much more than just the colon, the blood, lungs and a bunch of other things that I cant remember right now. It is not as harsh as some of the other cleanses, but it definetely keeps you regular! Maybe do some research and see if this is right for you!
  • hellsbell
    hellsbell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I know that Boots used to sell a cleanser in pill form - you take 3 or 4 a day for 6 weeks IIRC. I tried it and thought it was good. One thing I've found with all such cleansers though - I always need to make sure I start the course over a weekend, when I don't have anything planned with other people :)
  • cathyfigueroa
    cathyfigueroa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything you said. I was additive to laxitives and water pills and it really tore me up. I was in a bad way anything to lose weight, I lost the weight but the problem with that is when you have all that come out of your system your starving and swollen,headaches,cramps from the laxitives,that was many years ago. Now I eat healthy, brown rice, eggs,flax seed salads and fruit, water, lots of water, and trust me you will go. Just give it some time for your body to adjust.
  • healthygrl
    healthygrl Posts: 33 Member
    Options

You can mix psyllium husk powder in with your food or take it in capsule form. It just helps make you more regular than anything.

I agree with the psyllium husk powder recommendation. Although, make sure you drink a TON of water with it. If you don't drink enough water with it will actually bind up you!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about a colonic? A woman I know runs a business doing it, and I can't tell you how many people I've heard that have done it that claim it is the best thing since sliced bread- they felt so much better afterwards.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Also, random food fact:

Two 12-ounce servings of freshly juiced apples, pears, carrots, celery, and leafy greens can produce the same effect as twice the dosing recommendation of a laxative. =)