Tried everything but can't lose weight

Options
I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I'm an almost 30 years old female who is really frustrated. I run or jog 5 days a week for at least a half hour. I have tried insanity, and I used to teach Zumba. I have restricted my diet to almost 800 calories a day and in still can't seem to lose weight. I have tried complete nutritious "ReFirm" for almost 5 weeks now and I thought it was working but I got on the scale and nothing. I was off of birth control (nuva ring) for a year and I just restarted but even when I was off it I still had trouble. My twin sister and I are so frustrated. We don't know what to do. I can't cut anything else out. I don't know if I am supposed to be working out for hours for any results. I've tried low carb, no carb, just fruits and vegetables, and high protein... And still nothing.

Please help!!!

I have a irregular heart which I had surgery for in 2009... And like others doctors didn't want to help me. I really could use assistance.

Please help!!!

Replies

• attackhamster
    attackhamster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary so the helpful people here can see what you're eating and offer tips! :)
  • tarawarner22
    tarawarner22 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have restricted my diet to almost 800 calories a day and in still can't seem to lose weight.

The first thing I noticed was that you restrict yourself to 800 Calories a day. You are probably not eating enough to sustain. Maybe you should eat the calories that MFP suggests and still exercise see if that helps you.
  • dcmassena
    dcmassena Posts: 11
    Options
    I would suggest seeing your doctor and a nutritionalist. It could be that just changing what your eating might help. I notice that if I eat too much of the same thing my body gets weird, so every couple of weeks I fluctuate my calorie intake and the kinds of foods I eat. I don't know if there is science to support this, but it seems to keep my body guessing.Also 800 calories might be too little. Your body could be going into starvation mode and using up lean muscle mass, which will make it harder to lose weight.
    Good luck to you!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I'm an almost 30 years old female who is really frustrated. I run or jog 5 days a week for at least a half hour. I have tried insanity, and I used to teach Zumba. I have restricted my diet to almost 800 calories a day and in still can't seem to lose weight. I have tried complete nutritious "ReFirm" for almost 5 weeks now and I thought it was working but I got on the scale and nothing. I was off of birth control (nuva ring) for a year and I just restarted but even when I was off it I still had trouble. My twin sister and I are so frustrated. We don't know what to do. I can't cut anything else out. I don't know if I am supposed to be working out for hours for any results. I've tried low carb, no carb, just fruits and vegetables, and high protein... And still nothing.

Please help!!!

I have a irregular heart which I had surgery for in 2009... And like others doctors didn't want to help me. I really could use assistance.

Please help!!!

Open your diary so we can see where you're going wrong. I guarantee you're not eating 800 calories a day.
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have restricted my diet to almost 800 calories a day and in still can't seem to lose weight.

This is too little! You need to up your calories if you want to see any results. Can you tell us more about your eating habits? And what height/weight are we talking about?
  • jonnythan
    Options

This is too little! You need to up your calories if you want to see any results. Can you tell us more about your eating habits? And what height/weight are we talking about?

There's no such thing as eating too little to lose weight.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have restricted my diet to almost 800 calories a day and in still can't seem to lose weight. I have tried complete nutritious "ReFirm" for almost 5 weeks now and I thought it was working but I got on the scale and nothing. assistance.
    Don't buy into gimmicks.

Also, highly unlikely you are only eating 800 calories a day. Unless you weigh and measure everything you eat, you are probably eating more than you think.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    your body is in crisis mode so it is holding on to everything you eat. A lot of exercise on an extreme calorie restriction doesn't make you lose faster it, puts your body under a lot of stress. Stress causes more cortisol, cortical makes you fat. When I finally gave in and set my goal to 1.5 pounds a week (which is 1200 calories for my height/weight) and started eating back all my exercise calories (instead of trying not to in a misguided attempt to "beat my calories") I finally started steadily losing weight.
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    STOP POSTING THINGS ABOUT STARVATION MODE OR "CRISIS" MODE! You would think the number of times this has been debunked, people would learn.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have restricted my diet to almost 800 calories a day and in still can't seem to lose weight. I have tried complete nutritious "ReFirm" for almost 5 weeks now and I thought it was working but I got on the scale and nothing. assistance.
    Don't buy into gimmicks.

Also, highly unlikely you are only eating 800 calories a day. Unless you weigh and measure everything you eat, you are probably eating more than you think.

Yep this and no one can really help if you don't open your diary....
  • jonnythan
    Options
    your body is in crisis mode so it is holding on to everything you eat.

Seriously. The idea that eating too little makes you "hold on" to anything is ridiculous in the extreme and makes no sense at all.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    your body is in crisis mode so it is holding on to everything you eat. A lot of exercise on an extreme calorie restriction doesn't make you lose faster

Actually, most people who restrict calories super far and exercise like crazy binge eat at least once a week and wipe out the deficit. If they don't binge eat and they aren't losing weight they just aren't being accurate. My "one tablespoon" of peanut butter is at least 2 tablespoons. I also ate a chicken nugget and some fries my kids didn't eat.
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yeah okay starvation will make anyone lose weight but is that really what we want to advocate as a weight loss strategy???
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options

Please help!!!

Please help!!!

Did you mean to say you have an irregular heart beat of irregular heart? Just curious.

Opening your diary would be a good start. There are people on here that are pretty knowledgeable and could offer some advice and get you on track.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Yeah okay starvation will make anyone lose weight but is that really what we want to advocate as a weight loss strategy???

No, we don't want to advocate starvation as a weight loss strategy. No one wants to advocate that.

However, it's ludicrous and wrong to tell people that are maintaining their weight long-term that they're eating too little. It's completely and utterly nonsensical and wrong.
  • usmcmp
    Options

We aren't advocating starving. We are saying she isn't starving herself and she's eating more than she thinks.
  • MeganBellaRP
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I have a lot of fear around adding calories. I know I shouldn't but I'm scared of gaining weight. It's one thing to not be able to lose but it's another to gain. I am 5'4" and weight is about 150. I am very muscular but want to lean out if that makes sense.

Thanks
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I have a lot of fear around adding calories. I know I shouldn't but I'm scared of gaining weight. It's one thing to not be able to lose but it's another to gain. I am 5'4" and weight is about 150. I am very muscular but want to lean out if that makes sense.

Thanks

Nobody's saying to eat more calories. If you're not losing you're already eating at maintenance. You need to eat fewer calories.

The problem is that you're eating more than you think you are right now.
  • liezlann67
    Options
    You are wrong. When you don't put enough calories into your body, your body goes into starvation mode and then EVERYTHING you eat, your body saves. Yes, eventually, you will begin to lose but when you finally get to that perfect goal weight, you will have damaged your body, your metabolism and so much more that when you start to eat like a normal person, you will actually gain more weight because you body now thinks it is in feast mode and will store, once again, everything you eat so it has it for when you starve yourself again.

I haven't read all of these post, but really look at what you are eating. Drop carbs, if you eat lots of bread. If you eat mostly salads, try putting the dressing to the side (you may already do this). And add some good calories, like fruit, veggies, lean meats. Also, your exercise program may be another factor. Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are exercising, you may be gaining muscles (which also burn calories and fat faster) so you think you aren't losing but you really are. Judge by the way your clothes feel, not by the lbs on the scale.

If none of the things listed above help, then I suggest going to the doctor and having your thyroid checked. Sounds dumb but your thyroid not working properly will effect your weight loss/gain. But before that, start eating the correct amount of calories. 800 calories can't keep anyone alive, holocaust victim or not.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You are either eating more than you think, burning less than you think, or a combination of the two.

I don't have to see your diary, or know what you eat every day, to say that it's a pretty good bet you are consuming more than 800 calories a day. It would be impossible for someone to actually eat 800 calories a day and not lose weight. You must be very accurate with your calorie counting for any of this to work. It doesn't take being off by much every day to wipe out a deficit in a weeks time.

Also... You are not starving and holding on to fat, and your body is not in some sort of "crisis" (that's a new one). The only "crisis" that comes with true starvation is death...