Exercises for my husband, any ideas?

Options
My husband and I both have 100+ lbs to lose. He's already lost 15 lbs in the last month, but seems to have leveled off.

Do any of you guys have any exercise ideas for him? He's leveled off and doesn't seem to be losing anymore. I think he needs to add some exercise, but he doesn't seem too interested in my walk aerobics. What works for you guys. I really don't want him to get discouraged and quit.

Replies

• JulieBoBoo
    Options
    Men generally are more competitive and like having a point to what they are doing (hence not really getting into aerobics generally).

Are there any amateur leagues in your area for low impact activities like bowling or badminton?

What about going for a family walk after dinner? Not sure what the weather is like where you are but we do this in the summer and it's great bonding time for us as well as good exercise.

I would also strongly recommend some kind of martial art.

Good luck finding something.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I would recommend P90X. My husband and I do the program every morning together.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would start off running (walking and building up speed) or spinning, that is what I did
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The family walk after dinner, while sedate and leisurely, still burns calories.
    Families in Spain, Italy, and other countries walk after dinner as a matter of tradition. They also tend to be slimmer than people who do not follow this practice. Couldn't hurt! ;)
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    If he is interested in joining a gym there are plenty of weigh lifting programs that could help him out!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Power90 for the past month. Alternative sculpting (28 minutes, including stretching) and cardio workouts (34 minutes, including stretching). Then an ab workout (100 crunches in various forms) on cardio days. I have really toned up and lost some inches on my waist, while increasing my strength in my legs, arms and back. It's a great precursor to P90X, which I hope to start once I've finished Power90.

The workouts are not that difficult for a beginner and are short enough to easily fit into anyones schedule. Doing those workouts and watching my food intake with MFP have allowed me to lose 12 pounds in just a little over a month.
  • nickiejohnson
    Options
    My husband found a basketball league and joined, he loves that, it seems to be the only exercise he likes because its competitive and he's made some good friends
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I would just suggest walking on a treadmill or outside if weather permits. Start slowly, 10 mintuesor so then build up 5 minutes every week. Good luck to you both!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My husband is walking our new dog. The dog HE wanted. This is more than he's ever done exercise wise. That and we got Wii fit and he's a computer game nerd. He was even sneeking on trying to advance on the family!! This sort of thing is the only reason he'd get up and move!
  • Jess0218
    Jess0218 Posts: 138
    Options
    I have the Insanity DVD's hes more than welcomed to try...Joel even likes em and hes more into lifting. They should hook up cuz he's tryin to get back into this routine of working out and cardio now that his knee is better. He worked out for the first time yesterday.
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    we're in a rural area so limited on "options". a bunch of guys get together once a week at a church's gym and play basketball. maybe he can round up some pals to shoot hoops.
  • frankborelli
    frankborelli Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is my favorite because it's practically zero impact on the knees and back but you get a good level of calories burned. Additionally, he needs to check his nutritional balances. If he's shorting his diet in some places (i.e. not enough protein, or something) then his body might be clinging to calories.
  • tranz4md1
    tranz4md1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Kevin. My wife asked me to respond to your post. Please be patient with my response and read its entir ety. My response will be two fold. The first is to to get your mind and spirit working as one unit. The second will address some things to help physically. First and foremost give thanks to God asking him to provide you the strength, patience,and desire to complete all you weight loss goals. Ask him to heal any pains that he may currently be enduring right now. Second, firstthing is to approach is diet and calorie intake. Eat five meals a day, taking in approximately half of your protein about one hour after exercising. Remember that it takes a calorie deficit of 3500 calories a week to lose one pound. Don't eat two hours before laying down. He needs to exercise at least 20-30 minutes for strength training, preferably no longer than 60-90 minutes. If he is already doing strength training there are different methods to confuse your muscles into growing. Change the exercies that are being used. Change the order to which there being peformed, change from dumbbells to barbells reduce rest periods length in between sets. There are many ways to trick or confuse your body. The reason you eat fiveee times as opposed to three is to trick the body into taking fom the fat stores instead of from your muscles. If you don't take in. enough calories the body thinks its in trouble and will seek its nourishment from anywhere it can get it. By eatinevery two to three hours you are tricking your body into believing everything is ok and will take from fat stores. Stay with calorie rang though. Email me at extrakey@hotmail.com if ican answer anymore questions. Let me know what he is doing stregth training wise and cardio wise and any health constraints you might have and I will work with him to set up a workout plan. God Bless.