Diarrhea from reintroducing junk food?

Options

Replies

• cookiekrunch
    cookiekrunch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can eat sweets in moderation, but anything greasy goes straight through me. I hurt so badly that I don't even try anymore.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I am certainly not clean, but heavy sweets has had a similar effect. The last few times I grabbed something to tide me over, left me bent over for a while. I certainly am finding myself cheating less and less.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Is your "healthy eating" also low in fat?

If so, it could be your body readjusting to handling extra fat. Its not necessarily a good thing since fat is an important part of a healthy diet.

I used to experience this a lot for this reason. I upped my dietary fat for unrelated reasons and find that I no longer have this issue.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I've been having issues with it too, i was thinking it was a reaction to 1 percent milk so once i finish this half gallon i'm going to wait and see what happens.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This just happened to me today. I have been eating "clean" for 3 weeks and Grandma brought the kids some doughnuts and a Tim Horton's coffee for me (a large Regular). The doughnut and coffee totally wrecked havoc on my intestines only a few hours after consuming them. Guess it is a sign to keep to the better choices! I don't think i could look at another doughnut for a long time :)

It couldn't possibly be the 20 oz. of coffee...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    It's all the toksins
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    "Clean" eating can't be all that great if it renders your body totally unable to handle certain foods.

In all seriousness, it's not how "clean" the food is. Diary is closed so I can't see how you've been eating, but it's probably simply a product of a massive change in nutrient partitioning or calorie intake. It happens. The body gets used to certain macro ratios, and if you make a big change in fiber or fat intake (or whatever) then your guts have trouble adjusting. A lot of people go through a lot of gastrointestinal distress going from eating nothing but fried food to grilled chicken and veggies. It happens.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    "Clean" eating can't be all that great if it renders your body totally unable to handle certain foods.

In all seriousness, it's not how "clean" the food is. Diary is closed so I can't see how you've been eating, but it's probably simply a product of a massive change in nutrient partitioning or calorie intake. It happens. The body gets used to certain macro ratios, and if you make a big change in fiber or fat intake (or whatever) then your guts have trouble adjusting. A lot of people go through a lot of gastrointestinal distress going from eating nothing but fried food to grilled chicken and veggies. It happens.

Or when you go from a bland diet to a spicy meal.

Clearly spices are toxins.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Your "cheat" for the week was A Reese's Peanut Butter cup?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

I would have to take a close look at my diet if the fat content of a single PB cup caused my gastro distress.
  • jamesalytle
    jamesalytle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    totally happens to me. Even my wife admits that since we stopped eating fast food on the regular, when she does eat it, feels sick.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

That was the saddest cheat in all of humanity :(
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't eat near as much junk food as I used to, so whenever I eat too much my stomach always feels icky the next day and I'm not as regular.

@magerum, You still have plenty of junk food in your diet (which is fine cause that works for you) so your body is used to it and that's why it doesn't cause you distress.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I don't eat near as much junk food as I used to, so whenever I eat too much my stomach always feels icky the next day and I'm not as regular.

@magerum, You still have plenty of junk food in your diet (which is fine cause that works for you) so your body is used to it and that's why it doesn't cause you distress.

FIrst problem, you're labelling food as junk. There is no junk food. My cookies have the same macros, we'll say fat in this case, as lets say...peanuts.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Even when I was eating my "cleanest" if I switched from low fat to high fat I experienced this. There are plenty of "clean" foods that are high fat.

A lot of people who up their veggie intake experience similar issues. Is that a sign?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

That was the saddest cheat in all of humanity :(

I may have actually wept.

Just a little bit.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Could just be a fluke. I've gotten the runs from eating a turkey sandwich before.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Huh... well, I'd say that you should probably eat something "junky" most days. That way, if it IS a radical change in your diet, it won't actually be radical anymore. Your body will be used to it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of one Reese's cup being the difference between a regular day and a cheat day.

Was it at least one of the special Christmas/Valentine's day ones that's the size of a dinner plate? If so, yes, that would give even me the scoots.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of one Reese's cup being the difference between a regular day and a cheat day.

Was it at least one of the special Christmas/Valentine's day ones that's the size of a dinner plate? If so, yes, that would give even me the scoots.

Or the Reese's eggs they have around this time of year?! Those seem to have the perfect peanut butter to chocolate ratio.