Denialism. Why people believe unbelievable things.

Options

Replies

• CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Really?
    Never really understand why I get silence in response to what appears to me to be a well-thought out, logical, non-combative viewpoint. Ugh. Am I just wasting my time? Lets try again:

The fact is, we are constantly being told what the facts are, and that we should believe them. But scientific fact keeps changing. In addition, what is observable, like humans, or simpler, an ant, has not yet been fully understood even after thousands of years of study and observation have been made. Nevertheless, the scientific community will attempt to explain the brilliance of nature by dumb accident, and string bits and pieces of ideas to support the conclusion, while being unable to observe or test these ideas.

I know I'm dating myself to admit this, but when I was in college, my professor was working on the Human Genome Project. He said that he was disturbed by the ideologues in his field, who essentially, like the article you mentioned, are blinded by their belief -- in macroevolution. He took issue with their unwillingness to admit that there are many, very large holes in the theory (enough to throw turkeys through, was the phrase he used). Where was their scientific curiosity, their empirical quest for truth?

An archaeologist finds in the sands, a broken piece of pottery. They will carbon date it back to a certain time in history and paint a picture for us about the people who made the "sophisticated" artwork. And yet, another scientist will consider a human being, for all our symmetry and beauty and consider this incredibly sophisticated art as something NOT designed? Ask an artist how difficult it is to draw hands, ask a roboticist how difficult it is to make a robot walk and not fall over. The brilliance in the earth is astounding.

George Washington Carver embraced science and faith, and was a better scientist for it. He enraged other scientists, because his method of discovery was not the scientific method, and yet he continued to make an abundance of scientific discoveries. When brought before congress to testify, they asked him where he was able to attain such knowledge. "From an old book," he said. "What book?," they asked. "The Bible," he replied. They asked, "does the Bible say anything about the peanut?" No, but it does say about the God that made the peanut.

Scientists are still making discoveries about humans and ants, although we have been studying both for thousands of years. Very sophisticated, I would say.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Why do people have different religious beliefs? People will believe what they want to believe. If they take comfort in what they believe, more power too them.

^ Nicely said.:heart:

that is all well and good until it starts to hurt society much like climate change deniers are.

Yep. Or when it starts affecting people's health. Like we see on the boards every day - people are extremely susceptible to the latest diet crazes, which do nothing except lighten their wallets and keep them from their goals.

I agree. Extremists are excluded from my statement.

It's not only extremists. Just plain old ignorance too. Been to the South lately? It's still kinda like the 1800 as far as racial issues. I can't take it out there. I just wanna shoot all the whites. And, I'm white. It's unreal.

So, just saying that ignorance, not having to be extreme, can be harmful. Sometimes, things are harmful without it even meaning to be.

Being open minded is truly a difficult thing to do. You even have to constantly question you own deeply held beliefs. While I think some people do this, many don't.

Attacks extremists but mentions wanting to shoot all white southerners. Interesting
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Remember when the 'climate change' side was actually 'global warming'?

In my opinion, climate change is the ideal example, and clearly shows how people will shift their objection rather than compromise "who they are". Global warming is still a fine way to phrase it. I believe the phrase fell out of favor, in part, due to a very effective misinformation campaign from the deniers. How many times this winter have you looked on Facebook and seen people making "global warming" jokes because it's cold. No mention of record high temperatures in Australia or even Alaska. Climate change is just a more accommodating way of phrasing it because it correctly includes more of the likely effects of global average temperature rise. Many times, those will be seen locally as sever weather events that are not particularly warm.

And the shift from "climate change" to "man made climate change" is the accommodation the deniers made when it because very difficult to deny that the temperature was, in fact, rising in a measurable way.

The people who said "it's getting warmer because we're putting too much carbon into the atmosphere" still say what they've always said. The people who first denied it was getting warmer at all have now found a new, more defensible position that doesn't require them to change their world view. Fist they denied it was getting warmer. Now they accept that it is getting warmer, but still insist they were right all along. But the fact remains - the overwhelming (more so every year) mountain of observational data confirms that the climate is changing as a result of carbon in the atmosphere.

I'm curious about whether the reaction is the same for climate change as for the anti-GMO pro-organic hubbub. Science is getting a pretty good beating from both sides of the political aisle.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Why do people have different religious beliefs? People will believe what they want to believe. If they take comfort in what they believe, more power too them.

^ Nicely said.:heart:

that is all well and good until it starts to hurt society much like climate change deniers are.

Yep. Or when it starts affecting people's health. Like we see on the boards every day - people are extremely susceptible to the latest diet crazes, which do nothing except lighten their wallets and keep them from their goals.

One thing that climate change and diet crazes have in common is that there is a lag between what you do and the impact that you see. That window is the opportunity for people to deny or attribute alternate explanations.
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    Never really understand why I get silence in response to what appears to me to be a well-thought out, logical, non-combative viewpoint. Ugh. Am I just wasting my time? Lets try again:

The fact is, we are constantly being told what the facts are, and that we should believe them. But scientific fact keeps changing. In addition, what is observable, like humans, or simpler, an ant, has not yet been fully understood even after thousands of years of study and observation have been made. Nevertheless, the scientific community will attempt to explain the brilliance of nature by dumb accident, and string bits and pieces of ideas to support the conclusion, while being unable to observe or test these ideas.

I know I'm dating myself to admit this, but when I was in college, my professor was working on the Human Genome Project. He said that he was disturbed by the ideologues in his field, who essentially, like the article you mentioned, are blinded by their belief -- in macroevolution. He took issue with their unwillingness to admit that there are many, very large holes in the theory (enough to throw turkeys through, was the phrase he used). Where was their scientific curiosity, their empirical quest for truth?

An archaeologist finds in the sands, a broken piece of pottery. They will carbon date it back to a certain time in history and paint a picture for us about the people who made the "sophisticated" artwork. And yet, another scientist will consider a human being, for all our symmetry and beauty and consider this incredibly sophisticated art as something NOT designed? Ask an artist how difficult it is to draw hands, ask a roboticist how difficult it is to make a robot walk and not fall over. The brilliance in the earth is astounding.

George Washington Carver embraced science and faith, and was a better scientist for it. He enraged other scientists, because his method of discovery was not the scientific method, and yet he continued to make an abundance of scientific discoveries. When brought before congress to testify, they asked him where he was able to attain such knowledge. "From an old book," he said. "What book?," they asked. "The Bible," he replied. They asked, "does the Bible say anything about the peanut?" No, but it does say about the God that made the peanut.

Scientists are still making discoveries about humans and ants, although we have been studying both for thousands of years. Very sophisticated, I would say.

So you are arguing for Creationism? Which method of creationism? The Judeo-Christian 6 day model? The Egyptian rising from the sea? The Fon of Western Africa believe that the creation deity was carried from place to place by a rainbow dragon. The Mayans believed that man was made from Maize because they did not have a soul when made from wood.

I understand that Intelligent Design can be an attractive view of how we got to where we are but I feel that it is the easy way out and does not answer the "how" that science seeks. Also, depending on your cosmology, it opens up the question of "why" which can then muddy the waters and obstruct research.

As I stated above, both religion and science can suffer from views of immutability. I have yet to meet a scientist who feels that they know all of the answers or are not open to new views. That being said, there are plenty of scientific theories that have been researched and tested to the point that they are accepted as fact yet some scientists continue to peel back the layers of the onion.

I am disappointed you didn't address my points, but I will address yours. Whatever religion, God made himself known through the creation, so that everyone is without an excuse. The fact that we don't know the facts is proof of mystery in the creation. It is God's glory to hide it, and man's glory to find it (computer programmers, game designers, writers, movie makers and artists understand that concept very well).

As for the easy way out - you flip the switch and the light turns on. A small child can grasp this. Knowledge of the how and why is not required to know the what, nor is it needed to UTILIZE it. George Washington Carver asked God for answers. He got them. He did not have a hypothesis, he didn't use controls in his experiments. It wasn't scientific - it was brilliant. Scientists in his day were appalled, but they did not make a fraction of the discoveries he made. Nor we're they brought before Congress to inquire of their brilliance. Knowledge is great, wisdom is better.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

So you are arguing for Creationism? Which method of creationism? The Judeo-Christian 6 day model? The Egyptian rising from the sea? The Fon of Western Africa believe that the creation deity was carried from place to place by a rainbow dragon. The Mayans believed that man was made from Maize because they did not have a soul when made from wood.

I understand that Intelligent Design can be an attractive view of how we got to where we are but I feel that it is the easy way out and does not answer the "how" that science seeks. Also, depending on your cosmology, it opens up the question of "why" which can then muddy the waters and obstruct research.

As I stated above, both religion and science can suffer from views of immutability. I have yet to meet a scientist who feels that they know all of the answers or are not open to new views. That being said, there are plenty of scientific theories that have been researched and tested to the point that they are accepted as fact yet some scientists continue to peel back the layers of the onion.

I am disappointed you didn't address my points, but I will address yours. Whatever religion, God made himself known through the creation, so that everyone is without an excuse. The fact that we don't know the facts is proof of mystery in the creation. It is God's glory to hide it, and man's glory to find it (computer programmers, game designers, writers, movie makers and artists that concept very well).

As for the easy way out - you flip the switch and the light turns on. A small child can grasp this. Knowledge of the how and why is not required to know the what, nor is it needed to UTILIZE it. George Washington Carver asked God for answers. He got them. He did not have a hypothesis, he didn't use controls in his experiments. It wasn't scientific - it was brilliant. Scientists in his day were appalled, but they did not make a fraction of the discoveries he made. Knowledge is great, wisdom is better.

I'm always impressed with the ability to write or speak so many words and yet convey no coherent thought.
  • CJisinShape
    Options

I am disappointed you didn't address my points, but I will address yours. Whatever religion, God made himself known through the creation, so that everyone is without an excuse. The fact that we don't know the facts is proof of mystery in the creation. It is God's glory to hide it, and man's glory to find it (computer programmers, game designers, writers, movie makers and artists that concept very well).

As for the easy way out - you flip the switch and the light turns on. A small child can grasp this. Knowledge of the how and why is not required to know the what, nor is it needed to UTILIZE it. George Washington Carver asked God for answers. He got them. He did not have a hypothesis, he didn't use controls in his experiments. It wasn't scientific - it was brilliant. Scientists in his day were appalled, but they did not make a fraction of the discoveries he made. Knowledge is great, wisdom is better.

I'm always impressed with the ability to write or speak so many words and yet convey no coherent thought.

You need it more concise? Ok.

1. The most brilliant people in history believe in God.
    2. Some of the controversial ideas in science are ideologies themselves and lack evidence.
    3. Science needs to go back to studying things for more knowledge instead of setting up experiments in such a way that supports their ideology.

Succinct. Concise. I like the longer version myself.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I understood it perfectly. George Washington Carver is one of my heroes, and the peanut is one of my favorite foods!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    IMO the largest reason that climate change deniers exist is because of the poorly constructed method by which it's been debated (in politics). The fact that climate change is even considered a political issue is comical and more the root of the problem IMO.

The politics of lies is destroying the U.S. :brokenheart:

Suddenly you are interesting in discussing? Funny how that happens.

Yeah, I just didn't want to read the OP. Too long. :laugh:

ETA: Politics mixing into science angers me as much as mixing religion with politics.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I am constantly evaluating whether my beliefs are rooted in reality and evidence. Most people don't, but they should, not just because they deny global warming or whatever, but because most people hold beliefs about themselves that hold them back and aren't true. For instance: "I can't lose weight."
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Tempting thread but would ultimately lead to my demise.
    Cliffs notes: atheist, global climate change exists, i effin love science.
  • some_betty
    some_betty Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I love to believe crazy things.
  • CJisinShape
    Options

I understood it perfectly. George Washington Carver is one of my heroes, and the peanut is one of my favorite foods!

Thanks.
  • CJisinShape
    Options

Democritus, Epicurus, Andrew Carnegie, Ivan Pavlov, Sigmund Freud, Clarence Darrow, Bertrand Russell, Linus Pauling, Alan Turing, Francis Crick, Claude Shannon, Richard Feynman, Noam Chomsky, Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking... all non-believers and truly some of the most brilliant people in history

2. Some of the controversial ideas in science are ideologies themselves and lack evidence.
    Which is why they're ideas, not theories or proofs.

3. Science needs to go back to studying things for more knowledge instead of setting up experiments in such a way that supports their ideology.
    Science doesn't need to do what you want. It operates independently of your wishes. Which is good, that way we didn't have to wait for them to invent the internet you enjoy using so much.

Succinct, concise, false. As expected.

You listed Sigmund Freud and Stephen Hawking in your list? Well, lets just agree to disagree.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Thanks.

Being in Missouri, I have visited the GWC monument on several occasions. I learn something new every time I go. He was definitely a brilliant man.

Also:
    Democritus, Epicurus, Andrew Carnegie, Ivan Pavlov, Sigmund Freud, Clarence Darrow, Bertrand Russell, Linus Pauling, Alan Turing, Francis Crick, Claude Shannon, Richard Feynman, {deleted} Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking...

^^ Are all brilliant as well, but this can by no means be called an exhaustive list. So many people besides these can also be considered brilliant. (I mean, hell, you didn't even include Einstein or Newton. :ohwell:)
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

But the longer version has nothing to do with your concise version lol.

1. There were also many that did not believe in God and were punished for their views.
    2. Have already argued that immutability of ideas is a flaw that can plague both science and religion. Science suffers in both cases.
    3. I thought we didn't need to know how the light switch worked?

Also, I only see one time when George Washington Carver was brought before Congress. It was in 1921 and it was not to find out why he was so smart but rather for him to testify and consult in support of a tariff bill to protect the US peanut industry. They were enamored with his presentation of all the things he could do with a peanut and he testified much longer than scheduled. I find no records of the scientific community being appalled with him.

This is in now way meant to disparage the man, his brilliance or his contribution to science. I will point out, though, that he was a student of the scientific method because he was a professor who taught students and other farmers. These lessons did not start with "go out into the woods and start talking to God."

Also, your comments and argument seem to be out of place in this discussion since I do not think anyone stated that scientists need to be atheists.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    IMO the largest reason that climate change deniers exist is because of the poorly constructed method by which it's been debated (in politics). The fact that climate change is even considered a political issue is comical and more the root of the problem IMO.

The science on if climate change exists isn't entirely the issue either, but rather how much of a role have humans played into it (still very much up in the air) and what else could possibly be the cause of it. We know other planets have also gone through climate changes throughout history, but obviously we're not burning fossil fuels there.

Now...the second topic....religion. IMO, I'm a semi-religious guy and I have a love for all things science. So I tend to remember a few key principles when reading and learning about scientific discoveries...

1) Science is a study of the world around us. I happen to believe that world was created. I believe that the laws of the universe were also created. So therefore science is a study of what was created and anything 'discovered' solely teaches me more about what was created and possibly the creator himself and maybe 'how' it was created. I don't believe that science ever contradicts the creator. God vs Science is solely a product of lack of human understanding and they are not actually at odds (in large part due to religious people that try to fit God into the box they believe God should fit into).

2) Science is not fact. Science is a human interpretation of what we've observed and is subject to bias (both religious or atheistic) Science is often wrong and what we 'know' changes every day (and hopefully will continue to change). Know that I'm not saying, "Don't trust science" or "It's all lies from an agenda", just more that it's always important to remember the filter of the source and what they believe and want and know to be true. (including what you yourself believe and want to know)

I have a unique viewpoint I'm sure :)

Nicely said.

I'm very religious and pro-science. I can love both simultaneously. There is no disconnect because I do not approach my religion as an extremist or on a purely emotional level (I examine my faith with the same fervor with which I examine science).

Just as there are extremists in religion, there are extremists outside of it as well. It is not the ideology that creates the extremist but the extremist's own failings/personality.

I do not fall for 'fad diets', 'conspiracy theories', or popular opinion. Anything that is presented to me (if I deem it worthy of attention), is examined from all sides of the argument (you can never find the truth from the side that advocates what they are arguing, nor can you find it in the side that attacks. You find truth somewhere right in between). Once I've examined the issue, I make a choice.

When I was presented with that pregnancy hormone fad, the Body by Vi fad and even Shakeology I approached it with the same skepticism with which I approach all things.

What does this do?
    Does it sound like pseudoscience?
    Is it really cost effective?
    Would I rather eat real food?

Most people, however, see these things and ask only one question; Where do I send my money? Why? Because they are presented with the lie that this is the easy way out, and let's face it, everyone wants the easy way out these days. Why?

Sometimes I think denialism, extremism, and just plain weirdism is the result of laziness.

It's an unpopular opinion, perhaps not supported by anything but my own experience, but I truly feel the majority of our population (Western population) has succumbed to laziness. Why? I don't know. Maybe it's because information is SO readily available. If you want to know something, you no longer have to seek knowledge yourself through countless hours of study. Now, you can simple plug into google, do a quick search and BAM! You suddenly have the 'knowledge' of a rocket scientist (without the discipline). This creates a false sense of pride without anything to back it up. Maybe it's because we have machines to do all those manual, hard things we used to have to do to get through a day. Maybe it's because we can sit in front of a box all night and watch things that take us away from reality.

Either way, this laziness has eeked into everything we do, whether intellectual pursuits, political pursuits or otherwise.

Anyway. Those are my thoughts. TL;DR.
This discussion has been closed.