Desperately Trying to Lose the Weight

Options
Hi!

I'm new and looking for a change.

I've always been very active and pretty fit. Up until 2 years ago I was running a little more than 25 miles a week. I love to run! Unfortunately 2 years ago I became ill and I gained 100 - 120lbs while on disability. Now that I'm all better for the most part I am working in a different job which requires me to sit all day.

When I see people I haven't seen since I gained the weight I always feel like they're giving me the "fat" look. You know, when you've gained a substancial amount of weight and someone who sees you is pretty shocked and they don't say anything but they can't stop looking at your gut. That's the fat look. I hate it and I'm ready to stop giving people a reason to do it. Also I find I'm not treated as nicely, I feel left out a lot, that probably has to do with my self esteem as well...so like I said, I'm looking for a change.

Replies

• desperateloser
    Options
    Hi!

I'm new and looking for a change.

I've always been very active and pretty fit. Up until 2 years ago I was running a little more than 25 miles a week. I love to run! Unfortunately 2 years ago I became ill and I gained 100 - 120lbs while on disability. Now that I'm all better for the most part I am working in a different job which requires me to sit all day.

When I see people I haven't seen since I gained the weight I always feel like they're giving me the "fat" look. You know, when you've gained a substancial amount of weight and someone who sees you is pretty shocked and they don't say anything but they can't stop looking at your gut. That's the fat look. I hate it and I'm ready to stop giving people a reason to do it. Also I find I'm not treated as nicely, I feel left out a lot, that probably has to do with my self esteem as well...so like I said, I'm looking for a change.
  • obliged
    obliged Posts: 465
    Options
    unfortunately, most of us on here all know that 'fat' look and what you're talking about
    don't worry too much in a few weeks they'll be giving a different look:wink:
    welcome to the MFP family :flowerforyou:
  • desperateloser
    Options
    Thanks =)

This place seems pretty motivating, I'm hoping that it'll help me stick with losing through the tougher times!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    You can do it !!!

Congrats on taking the first steps-- way to go!!!:flowerforyou:
  • tacoman
    tacoman Posts: 40
    Options
    Welcome,

I agree stay with it and the looks will change. I sit all day in my job as well. I have to force myself to get out of my chair. I am constantly working to correct my bad posture while working at my desk.

Good luck.

65461.png
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Welcome! You have come to the right place. The motivation and support here are fabulous!!! Get involved in the message boards, make some friends, and be accountable. The only thing to lose is the unwanted pounds and inches!!!

Best of luck.....:drinker:
  • barefootfairy19
    Options
    Oh, lord the dreaded Fat look...lol honey I totaly feel your pain.I used to not even realize I was fat when I had first gained the weight you know? like on tv when they were talking about someone who was overweight I would never associate that to me. But now anytime something like that comes on I just feel like the elephant in the room (quite literally) that no one wants to upset. Like people change the subject (or the channel, as if that isn't obvious.lol) And Im just so tired of it.
  • desperateloser
    Options
    I know EXACTLY what you mean!! I think when people gain weight they don't realize it/don't care until they've really done some damage a lot of the time. Definately happened in my case.

I think my biggest problem is that I can't except myself like this, I always want to say "this isn't the real me, you'll meet me when I lose the weight" because I've always been pretty fun and confident. The weight took 1 - 2 years to come on but now that I'm (hopefully) at the lowest point I'm this weird, quiet, pathetic version of myself that no one wants to know.

This place seems to be pretty great though, if I can buckle down and make some friends I think it won't be too hard to stick with.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Ahh yes, the fat look, I know it well.

Well take heart desperate, those same people come back and say things like "WOW, you look great!"
    once it comes off again! And there's nothing better then that.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Well, WELCOME!!!

You have come to the right place! I look forward to seeing your before and after photos. You can totally do this!!! YEY YOU for taking the first steps!