Starvation Mode

Options
bring on the haters who will disagree.. but makes enough sense to me

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Replies

• Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    That about covers it, and this post will do no good. ;-)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Three cheers for you! I'm saving this link.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    That about covers it, and this post will do no good. ;-)

I know, everyone gets really riled up about it but its so clear
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    The thing about "starvation mode" is that you would have to have virtually NO body fat left to have your metabolism slow down to the point of no weight loss. Nothing left to lose. As the article states, people here tend to think, "Oh, I've been eating 1,110 calories a day for a month, I'm not losing weight because my body is in starvation mode!" It takes a significant amount of time to starve your body. Not saying it won't happen, but cutting calories will never make you not lose weight.
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this...I've always sat uneasily with the 'starvation mode' theory
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

"Basically, you’re eating more calories than you think you are, burning less calories than you think you are, or both… and no deficit is present."
    thumbs-up.gif
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    rawr rawr rawr...
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    thanks for that

People still won't believe it
  • allana1111
    Options
    Thanks for this...I've always sat uneasily with the 'starvation mode' theory

me too.. I've gone back and forth with it a lot because I knew it didn't seem possible to happen that quickly but people on here always told me that's what was happening on 1200 calories
  • Memorableheart
    Memorableheart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this link.
  • JoanneC1216
    JoanneC1216 Posts: 166
    Options
    It's a very interesting article. I always wondered how anorexics were able to become so thin with so little calories if starvation mode actually existed.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    It's a very interesting article. I always wondered how anorexics were able to become so thin with so little calories if starvation mode actually existed.

or for that matter how the many died in concentration camps from starvation
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
  • allana1111
    Options

or for that matter how the many died in concentration camps from starvation

yeah no *kitten*
  • puffpuff12345
    Options
    Thanks a lot for this! maybe people will now get it through their thick skulls *ohh eating to less will cause you to go into starvation mode* what a load of BS!
  • Ortax
    Ortax Posts: 98
    Options
    Your body can't outrun a calorie deficit, therefore starvation mode doesn't exist. It doesn't make any sense for your body to "hold onto fat" when you're starving.
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It is a real phenomenon but it should be called something else.....of course if you are eating practically nothing then you are going to lose weight so the concentration camp analogy is a stupid one to point to because no one here should be starving themselves to lose weight. Starvation mode is just simply your bodies metabolic rate slowing to a crawl. Every single time I have lost a lot of weight I have been able to directly correlate my slow down/halt of weight loss with verifiable changes in my blood pressure, heart rate and temperature.....it always happens about 10 pounds shy of my goal weight.
    Pretty much where I am at right now.....my resting heart rate has been in 40's!!, blood pressure around 110/60 and body temperature has gone down to an average of around 96.5. In response, I have started increasing my calorie count by about 300 to 400 a day to around 1600 a day for the past couple of weeks and I am having incredible workouts as a result....energy level through the roof and resting heart rate is slowly increasing to around the low 50's....still very low but better. Weight loss has slowly started back up....going to keep it up and be patient because at the end of the day, it's about how you look, feel, etc....and I feel great!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Haters?

I LOVE you for posting a great article.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Yay! I love this article ♡