Chinese Food

Options
hila_13
hila_13 Posts: 43 Member
Tonight I am going out for Chinese food for the first time since starting MFP. What are the healthiest options? (side note: I've been avoiding it since starting MFP but tonight I am going to have to make the best of it and just make the best possible choices). Vegetarian options would be particularly helpful.

Thanks!

Replies

• MrsMetzler2013
    MrsMetzler2013 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My advice is to order something with lots of veggies and non-fried meat. Ordering soup is a great way to fill up your belly before the entree comes too. Mmmm, now I'm hungry!
  • hila_13
    hila_13 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    In my mind a lot of the veggies are covered in a sweet sort of thick sauce - anyone know how good/bad that is?

What would the calorie count be on a dish or a cup of veggies in sauce?
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    tofu and veggies, steamed rice, easy on the sauce. Nothing deep fried!
  • Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    One time I ordered veggies and tofu and they deep fried to tofu. Gross.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Does the place you are going post the nutrition info online? I usually check that before I go, that way I already know what to order. Outside that though, when I go to Chinese places, I usually find that the beef and broccoli (or chicken and broc.) is the least problematic in the calorie department. I always skip the rice and usually get veggies but you could do brown rice if you like it (I don't). I would recommend that if you do get the rice, only eat part of it. In my experience, they always give WAY too much. Hope that helps!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    mapo tofu
    beef and broccoli
    spicy green beans

If it's PF changs, take 1/2 to 2/3 home.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I don't trust restaurant or take-out food, those places have it down to a science on how to pack as many calories as humanly possible into one meal.

You'll probably gain two to three pounds after eating it due to the excessive sodium.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

You'll probably gain two to three pounds after eating it due to the excessive sodium.

the Sodium is the big issue, you aren't likely to eat enough calories to kill your diet in one night, but it may take a few days of lots of water to flush the sodium (and 2-3 pounds it brought)
  • lorim200
    lorim200 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just curious how you made out with the Chinese food?
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    IIFYM you can have it if it fits in your macros (aka adjust what else you eat for the day)