Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Now I know (from a previous post/answer) that a heart rate monitor will help you figure out how many calories you burn in a workout.

Now! My next question is....which one is the best or which one do you use and why?

Maybe Santa will bring one in my stocking
:tongue:

Replies

• ginnyroxx
    Options
    I have a polar F6, and i love it. Whichever one you get should have a chest strap for better accuracy.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    It's me again.

The most likely answer you are going to get is: Polar.

Pretty much any of them, so look at the different models and see what options you need and what cost you think is appropriate. The biggest downside I've seen against any of the Polars is that the battery is not user serviceable. (Full disclosure: I just ordered a Polar). The ones most cited by those here on MFP: FT40, FT60, FT4, and FT7...or along those lines.

You've also got the BodyBugg and BodyMedia FIT.

Edit: And what V said, get a chest strap!!!
  • Rhammond8
    Options
    I've never really considered trying out a heart rate monitor, but am open to it and willing to try it out. I guess I just dont really know what they're used for, what benefit it provieds vs not having one... If anyone could help me out in understanding the uses and benefits of them and also what to look for when purchasing one, I would really appreciate it!

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have a sportline, man`s watch...it has calories burned, heart rate, timer, alarm, clock, and tons of other things, i just use the calories burned and the timer though. I bought it at Amazon.ca
  • AdamATGATT
    Options
    I've never really considered trying out a heart rate monitor, but am open to it and willing to try it out. I guess I just dont really know what they're used for, what benefit it provieds vs not having one... If anyone could help me out in understanding the uses and benefits of them and also what to look for when purchasing one, I would really appreciate it!

I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that each person if different, and each time you do a workout it will be different (thus, you'll get different amounts of calories burned). You could do 30 minutes on an elliptical two different days, but what's to say you gave it the same effort both days? With a HRM, you are monitoring how hard you are working during your activity. Essentially, given your average heart rate over a set period of time, your age, weight, etc...you can track how many calories you burned. Two people (different ages, sexes, weights, etc) who perform the same activity will burn totally different amounts of calories during that period.

A HRM allows you to track all of that. Some of the fancier ones even do the calorie calculation for you, and can let you determine if you are within your optimum heart rate zone during an activity.
  • happy115
    Options
    wondering the same thing so I can tell my hubby what I want for x-mas. Any thoughts on the Garmin Forerunner 305? How much is spending too much for a HRM? (He says "GPS, why do you need a GPS system? thinks GF305 is too expensive)....
  • AdamATGATT
    Options
    wondering the same thing so I can tell my hubby what I want for x-mas. Any thoughts on the Garmin Forerunner 305? How much is spending too much for a HRM? (He says "GPS, why do you need a GPS system? thinks GF305 is too expensive)....

According to another thread here, it does not calculate calories burned unless you are moving. It should track your heart rate though, but you'll need to calculate your calories burned yourself.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/103100-help-with-garmin-forerunner-305-hrm?hl=Forerunner+305#posts-1426326

Also check Amazon reviews to see what other users say.

If all you need is a HRM, there are good units out there for less. Most of the popular Polar models are $35 - $180.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I went cheap and bought a Timex T5G971 on Amazon for $46. It's a wrist and chest strap. It seems to be working. You can enter your weight and target heart rate zone (for the zone you want to be in). It also shows calories burned and how long you did the activity. (you have to minus out your 'resting' calories. The manual isn't great but I was able to figure it out. I haven't seen this one on MFP but I just couldn't afford more. I think it works pretty well.

It's also a wrist watch.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT7 for around 80 dollars at Amazon and I love it. It is simple to program and to use and understand and that is something I really appreciate, being old and stupid about tech stuff.
  • happy115
    Options
    Thank you! Now i'm gonna look into the polar models instead of the Garmin.
  • Rhammond8
    Options

According to another thread here, it does not calculate calories burned unless you are moving. It should track your heart rate though, but you'll need to calculate your calories burned yourself.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/103100-help-with-garmin-forerunner-305-hrm?hl=Forerunner+305#posts-1426326

If all you need is a HRM, there are good units out there for less. Most of the popular Polar models are $35 - $180.

Thanks for dumbing it down for me :) lol.. I think I'll consider giving it a try, maybe a polar.. sounds like they are the better, more user friendly ones.

Thanks again!!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT7 for around 80 dollars at Amazon and I love it. It is simple to program and to use and understand and that is something I really appreciate, being old and stupid about tech stuff.

Ditto! Got my FT7 last month... love it! It's a real eye-opener to finally get accurate calorie counts from my workouts.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

I own a Garmin Forerunner 305 I love it for outdoor activities. It is a fantastic HRM/GPS. However it does not count calories when inside. Only when it can actively track your moving distance and speed. Which sucks for weight loss. It is far better at Race tracking and outdoor activities as well as training aid.

I'm actually looking to buy something cheap to monitor calorie burn inside based on HR so I'm looking for the best bang for your buck
  • weslfuss
    Options
    I have a Bowflex HRM and it does do the calculation for you. The only thing if you get one is it gives it to you in kcal. Don't worry about it, though, a kcal is the same a a Calorie.
  • SD1010
    SD1010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Walmart has one for $28.77. Its a basic HRM that counts calories too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/S7-HR-Monitor/10719753
  • kangababy
    kangababy Posts: 187 Member
    Options

The Garmin is great if you are going to be running outside.. I have one and can not get teh software to work with my computer. If you buy the foot pad which is another $100 then you can track your distance inside.. I bought it because I was going to train for a marathon and then got hurt.. It is great for running and shows your the distance you have run and gives you your MPH.

I would just go with a regular HRM if you are not going to be running... of course I have both!+