Sneakers recommendations?

Options
I need new shoes. The ones I have were hand me downs when I got them and now I've really worn them down. I mostly do circuit training videos and do a lot of jumping and weight lifting with my trainer. But I'm planning on doing a couple 5ks this summer, so I also need shoes good for jogging/running.

I know the best thing to do would be to get a pair of training shoes AND a pair of running shoes. But I really can't afford that right now.

Any suggestions on shoes I can buy that would transition well between running and training? Or does anyone have a pair of sneakers that they just love love love and would recommend?

Replies

• Azchange
    Azchange Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use Nike Vomero 8's for pavement running and pavement HIIT circuits. I like them ok. I got special inserts from road runner sports as the stock ones were terrible. I haven't tried many others though, but the brooks glycerin were pretty awesome too.
  • ChelleBalady
    Options
    I went to Roadrunner (a running store) and was fitted with custom insoles and bought Brooks that were recommended for me. No more calve pain. :-)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    As far as running is concerned, they're your knees, ankles and hips. If they're not that important, don't buy dedicated running shoes.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    As far as running is concerned, they're your knees, ankles and hips. If they're not that important, don't buy dedicated running shoes.

QFT
  • kutterba
    kutterba Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump - want to follow.
    thanks.
    :smile:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    there should be cross trainers out there that would provide about as much cushion as a good running shoe, it will just be heavier, and more expensive.

honestly, and new athletic shoe should be just fine for protecting your joints in any type of exercise

i like the rebook free runner things. i bought ones that said they were trainners but they definetly seem like running shoes.

go to 6pm.com everything ships free and they are older styles so they are very reasonably priced
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty store, one with treadmills and well-trained staff, and get them to analyze your gait and recommend a good all-purpose shoe for you. If you want something that's right for you personally, it's the best thing you can do.
  • KrispyNoodles
    KrispyNoodles Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Vibram VFFs. They will do it all - training, running, hiking, biking, etc...Last year's models will be on clearance and far less expensive than this year's. I don't own anything else - Jayas, KMD Sport, KMD LS, and Treksport. I also have a pair of Adidas Adipure for winter running. Same idea as the VFFs only a thicker sole and upper to keep the cold out.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    most of the joint issues experienced with long term runners is probably a lot more to do with the fact that your doing the same motion over, and over, and over... then they do with poor footwear.

even if you weighted zero lbs and had pillows for feet there is still a great chance you can develope joint issues.

swimming is near zero impact and extreamly low resistance compared to running, but shoulder injuries are still extreamly common.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this as well.

I bought a pair of Nike Free because they were cute (stupid move) and now my arches are killing!

Hope some peeps have good reccos
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Go to a running shoe store and have them fit you with shoes.
    All feet are different and need support/flexibility in different areas :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Training I would recommend Nike Free or Nike Flex. Extremely comfortable.

Running I would recommend Asics, Adidas energy boost, or Under Armour.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have asics cross training shoes. I don't run. They have a pretty rigid heel, lateral stability and cushiony toe. Things I need, but you might not. Shoes are so important so try some on and see what feels good to you.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    BLUF: Do the same...went to running store got shoes for running use them for running use the old pair for circuit training. result: works...cost: new running shoes.

Since I currently do the same as you....I went to a running store and had them analyze my gait and recommend the correct shoes. Prior to doing so I ran until my shins hurt would stop running let them heal, rinse repeat. Afterward I run and have run for months now...no stop for shin splints. I have worn out the cushion in one shoe and those are now my trainers for walking around and circuit training. The shoe is good and the cushion is still there but not what I need for running so I am on my next pair. If you run...get the right foot wear. I play soccer sometimes 2 to 4 hours a day during summer months. I had the wrong shoes and my legs were killing me. I got the right shoes no more problem. Studies have shown the correct foot wear and the correct gait eliminate joint problems. ALL the studies on joints have shown it is not running that causes joint problems but incorrect gait. I have played a lot of different sports, including swimming and the correct motion prevents injury. Whatever you decide is your method of exercise...get the correct gear it will save money in the long time frame.