Where Were You When John Lennon Was Shot?

Options
snookeroo
snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
It was 30 years ago today.
Where were you when John Lennon was killed? What were you doing?
What are your memories of when you found out he had been murdered?

Replies

• karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    No idea! I did not even know it was today until I saw your post. I was 14 at the time so it made no impact on me at all.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I wasn't even a thought in my parents' heads.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I was 4 months old... probably in a crib.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    i WAS 6 YEARS OLD... So probably in school. I dont even think that I knew who John Lennon was.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I was 26. Going through a divorce. It was a very dark time in my life and I was hardly coherent enough at the time to pay atttention to the headlines. It's just been in the past 10 years that I have recognized John Lennon's genius as a song writer.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options

You are the same age now as I was when Lennon was killed.
  • CaptainJim157
    Options
    I was 10 years early of being born, so I had no idea what happend :P
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My parents were still in high school.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options

You are the same age now as I was when Lennon was killed.
    The sad thing is, he came up when I was talking to my mom this weekend, she didn't know he was dead. I had to tell her.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i was only 8 so i'm gonna guess 3rd grade...
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I was 5 but do not even remember hearing about it. However I remember lots about Ronald Reagan and the presidential campaign that year.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I was a sophomore in college. I was shocked like most folks. This was around the time that John Hinckley attempted to assassinate t President Reagan. It was all shocking, but yet, I was pretty self-aborbed and didn't lose sleep over it.
  • JForbrizzio
    Options
    I was only 16 months old. The challenger explosion was my generations giant tragedy.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I was 10 yrs old. I remember it, because already liked the Beatles music. I don't exactly know where I was; most likely at school.
    I remember 9/11 vividly though.
  • TulsaTim
    Options
    I was 13yrs old at the time and John Lennon and the Beatles were very high on my list of musical inspiration. I played drums from an early age and loved all sorts of music but the Beatles have got to be in the top ten of my musical background.

I was listening to the radio while I was supposed to be sleeping and they came on the radio and told us. I remember being devastated and even got up and told my dad about it, even though I knew I would be scolded for still being up so late. When I told my dad, I believe he was equally hurt and turned on the news to find out what was going on. I don't remember how long they reported the news but it felt like we were there another hour or two. I am sure it was only a few minutes since back in those days we really didn't have news broadcasts that ran 24hours.

I was and still am saddened that such a talent and person was taken from us prematurely.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    JFK - I was 4 months old.

Lennon - I wasn't a huge Beatles fan at the time so I don't recall details of the day. Our high school teachers talked about it a lot. One teacher in particular was a fan. We had talked about the "Double Fantasy" album. I wasn't impressed because I wasn't a fan. I liked Billy Joel's "Glass Houses" album and the teacher wasn't impressed.

Reagan - I was in Washington, D.C. that day on my senior class trip. It was very interesting after that. We didn't get to tour the White House because of the shooting.

Challenger - I was getting a haircut. The whole barber shop was watching the launch. We were stunned. No one thought there would ever be an accident like that.

9/11 - I was on the way to work and heard the first sketchy reports. Then when I arrived the power was out and we listened on battery powered radios as more details came in.
  • jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I had a toddler and a baby, just passed my driving test, had just moved house & was peeling soggy wallpaper off the wall in the new place & trying to stop my toddler from eating it. It came as a flash across the airwaves. I felt sick.. it really hurt. It was like losing a brother, he was such trailblazer for kids our age. :brokenheart:
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    I was 12 years old and in the car driving to the store with my mother. The radio announced he had been shot, and then a little while later it said he had died :cry: I still tear up...I loved him...got my first Beatles' album when I was 6!

Oh and BTW, Dec 8th is also the birthday of Jim Morrison!! Weird, huh? (I am a geek and remember things like that).
  • xquiz8
    xquiz8 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I was 4, and while I didn't know who he was then, I remember getting ready for school the next morning and my mother running out of the kitchen to tell us what she'd just heard on the news.