Any Bikini Competitors?

Options
I've been toying with the idea of doing a competition next year. Just wondering where those of you who have competed started (ie; training, weight, nutrition, etc...)? How long did it take you to prepare? Did you work with a trainer or workout on your own? I'm just trying to weigh my options and see what steps I need to take... Thanks in advance

Replies

• Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I want to as well. I hired a personal trainer who competes, and she said depending on your BF% plan on 17 - 12 weeks to prepare for a competition. She also said it's 70% diet. I agree with her!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Oh totally... I'm working with a trainer now, who specializes in competition. I'm just too nervous to ask yet! I still have probably 20 lbs and 10% body fat to lose!
  • MrsB123111
    Options
    Bump...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have done some work on my own for stuff (photo shoots)- but haven't competed- I spent a year lifting with people who competing at various levels from IBFF pro- to local bikini competitions.

if you have 20 lbs to go before your ideal weight in general- you probably have 10-15 past that for comp weight to be honest.

Ask the trainer- if she trains for competition- you are already on the right path and you have a head start.

It's hard mentally to stick with it- the diet stuff can be grueling- fortunately bikini is the softest of all of them so it's "less" work relative to the others- but still- diet diet diet diet. Your friends will call sick tell you how gaunt you are and what you are doing is crazy- you will want to curl up and sleep and do nothing and you have to go BACK to the gym for a second work out LOL

it's work- no questions asked. I would get closer to your optimal working weight and THEN start looking for competitions- you might need to take a diet break between- cutting slow's the metabolism and extended month and after month cutting is hard on the body so you give yourself some time.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm ever going to get to the point where I'd want to do a Bikini Competition, mainly because I don't think I have the right personality type, but I follow quite a few on instagram.

Jessie Deye has an ebook for beginngers:

"Want to learn more about competing? Don't know where to start?
    Here is your 'everything' guide to get you started!
    Getting Started
    Finding a Coach
    Competing Organizations
    Life in Prep
    Preparing for Your Show - Suit, Shoes, Hair, Makeup, Posing, Tan, etc
    Final Week
    Day of Your Show - Structure, Pre-judging and Finals, etc
    After Your Show - Now What?"

http://www.jdeyefitness.com/#!barbells-bikinis/cva4
  • MrsB123111
    Options
    Thank you! I have to take a break next month, as I'm going out of town for several weeks.

I've been working with the trainer for 10 weeks now, and am definitely carb deprived, so I'm looking forward to a little break in training! I would like to lose a bit more, maybe one more round of "normal" training and see where I end up. I'm 5'4" and 151lbs right now, and would like to get to 140ish (or 18% body fat, whichever comes first) before even thinking about mentioning a competition to my trainer! If I asked now, he'd probably think I was nuts...
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I've competed twice. I only went hardcore restricting my food for 6 weeks. I worked with a trainer both times, but just once a week. The rest of the week was all on me. I would DEFINITELY agree that food is far more important than working out. Though, the second time I competed, I did 2 a days - cardio before work and cardio and weights after work. Have fun!!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm also considering it for next year or the year after. I still need to drop about ~8-10% body fat before I would be comfortable considering it (I'm 5'5" and 147lbs, approx. 26% body fat (haven't been measured in ages, will get a bod pod test next month after I finish Jamie Eason's livefit trainer). I actually thought I was 2 years away from realistically doing a comp but I talked to a figure competitor and trainer at my gym and she thought next year was a reasonable goal for me if I really work at building muscle and dropping fat this year.
  • MrsB123111
    Options
    I'm also considering it for next year or the year after. I still need to drop about ~8-10% body fat before I would be comfortable considering it (I'm 5'5" and 147lbs, approx. 26% body fat (haven't been measured in ages, will get a bod pod test next month after I finish Jamie Eason's livefit trainer). I actually thought I was 2 years away from realistically doing a comp but I talked to a figure competitor and trainer at my gym and she thought next year was a reasonable goal for me if I really work at building muscle and dropping fat this year.

We're about the same! My BF was 26.6% at my last measurement. And I'm also planning to Jamie Eason Livefit during my training break :)
  • MrsB123111
    Options
    I've competed twice. I only went hardcore restricting my food for 6 weeks. I worked with a trainer both times, but just once a week. The rest of the week was all on me. I would DEFINITELY agree that food is far more important than working out. Though, the second time I competed, I did 2 a days - cardio before work and cardio and weights after work. Have fun!!

A lot of the girls competing (tomorrow in St. Louis!) at the gym I go to have been doing double cardio days... They say it's brutal! Pair that with the very little carbs they're allowed! I don't care though, I really want to prove to myself I can do it!
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    In because..well, duh.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

A lot of the girls competing (tomorrow in St. Louis!) at the gym I go to have been doing double cardio days... They say it's brutal! Pair that with the very little carbs they're allowed! I don't care though, I really want to prove to myself I can do it!

I think I was one of the few who didn't drop my carbs all that low. But, like you, I wanted to see how hard I could push myself, both mentally and physically. I'm glad I did it. I made some great friends.
  • berniemay
    berniemay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I did my first show two years ago at age 47. I have to say, it is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life! I worked with a personal trainer for 1 1/2 years before doing the show. The diet is absolutely grueling, and the mental aspect is very challenging. Be ready to give your life up when training. Diet, diet, diet, workout, workout, workout! Good luck to you.
  • ckokas84
    ckokas84 Posts: 5
    Options
    Competing can be tedious, IF you're heart isn't truly into it. You will drop down to a body fat percentage that is unrealistic for everyday life. You really learn your strengths and weaknesses during a competition prep. You just have to remember the reasons why you are competing and stay away from discouragement. I followed through with a 12-week prep that consisted of cutting fruits, dairy, protein powders, and no cheats. This also consisted of an hour of cardio in the morning and weights in the evening. The whole point of a prep is to become 'stage ready'. Dropping down to 9-10% body fat is not ideal nor healthy. That being said, you need to be very careful after competing and realize that your body is going to start retaining water again and you will gain some of your weight back.

It's a huge goal and an even bigger accomplishment. I just can't stress enough about being 100% dedicated. I won't even compete right now because I feel as if I will set myself up for failure because if I am not going to complete a prep while being 100% truly dedicated, then I have no business walking on a stage being judged. I will definitely compete again....it's a lot of fun, and I have met a lot of amazing people in the process. It's not just a physical challenge, but it is very much mental as well. Have fun with it!!!!
  • DPruneda17
    DPruneda17 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Following this thread... I'm considering competing this fall, but have heard alot of the advice mentioned. I go back and forth; scared about the grueling process of prep, but then really wanting to see how hard I can go!!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options

We're about the same! My BF was 26.6% at my last measurement. And I'm also planning to Jamie Eason Livefit during my training break :)

You won't regret it, it's awesome! Phase 3 is nuts though and quite intense. I thought I was in pretty good shape until I started this phase this week and it's kicking my butt. I have gotten great results so far, even without really following her meal plan (I do IIFYM).
  • MrsB123111
    Options

You won't regret it, it's awesome! Phase 3 is nuts though and quite intense. I thought I was in pretty good shape until I started this phase this week and it's kicking my butt. I have gotten great results so far, even without really following her meal plan (I do IIFYM).

I actually did it back in the Fall. It was a really good plan! I didn't see very many results at all, though, which is why I am where I am (with the trainer). I have made more progress in 10 weeks than I have in over a year working out on my own! I am having "the talk" with him on Friday morning when I pay for my next set of sessions! EEEEKKKK!!!!
  • MrsB123111
    Options
    Following this thread... I'm considering competing this fall, but have heard alot of the advice mentioned. I go back and forth; scared about the grueling process of prep, but then really wanting to see how hard I can go!!

I'm shooting for Fall (fingers crossed) as well. Would any of you be interested in starting a group? It could be a place to vent and bounce ideas, etc...
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm also considering competing, but my coach (who has competed repeatedly) gave me pause, in that even at my fittest, after 12 weeks of what I felt was very restrictive dieting and exercising under her guidance, I was still 14 weeks out from being stage-ready.
    (For reference, that's the "after" bikini pic in my profile, where I was 137lbs at 5"4.5", and 17.2% body fat as measured by hydrostatic bodyfat testing.) Achieving even THAT level of leanness was a trek for me, imagining the dietary restrictions for an additional 14 weeks is hard for me, given knowing what I do about what it took for my body to lean out to that point.

I've since put on more muscle, and the workouts aren't my issue, but the lifestyle is a LIFESTYLE, and it's a serious commitment.