Help! Cardio or Weights?

Options
Hey everyone. I figured I'd toss this out there.

I have a lower back injury from 2+ years ago, and my muscles are still recovering from a fractured tibia from April 2013. I have found it difficult to try to strengthen my core muscles to aid my sad back, and strengthening my muscles in my right leg after babying it for so long.

I have been losing weight since January (I let myself go for the holidays), but I seemed to have, for the most part, pleteaud in February. Also, I was in the hospital most of the past 2 weeks. I have been only doing cardio, about 45-60 minutes 3-5 times a week (usually I get my 3 workouts in, and the rest depends on work). Both of my jobs have me on my feet though, so I don't have a desk job.

Is my body getting used to my routine? I switch up what cardio I do. I like to jog/walk for 20-30 minutes and split the rest up usually on the crossramp and regular elliptical. The stationary bike is good for my leg injury, but not for my back. I prefer not to do that one. The crossramp hurts my leg if I go for more than 20 minutes. I have avoided weights/strength machines for now because I wanted to see how far I can progress with cardio since I'm so out of shape. I am still nowhere near where I would like to be, but I intend on keeping at it.

Do you think I should start the strength training part now? Is this a normal thing? I'm just confused as to how some people lose weight/tone up just going weights and strength, and others do it with diet and cardio. I'm just dumb when it comes to exercise.

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's critical to incorporate strength training while operating in a calorie deficit so you minimize muscle loss. Just start slow (lighter weights) and focus on perfect form so you avoid injury.

There are many great programs you could follow if you need structure. Check your local library for books on strength training.

Otherwise, here's a starting point:

Template A

Squat - 3-5 sets x 5-10 reps - Quad Dominant Movement
    Bench - 3-5 sets x 5-10 reps - Horizontal Pressing
    Row - 3-5 sets x 5-10 reps - Horizontal Pulling

Template B

Deadlift - 3-5 sets x 5-10 reps - Posterior Chain Dominant Movement (calves, glutes, hamstrings, lower back)
    Overhead Press - 3-5 sets x 5-10 reps Vertical Pressing
    Chinup - 3-5 sets x 5-10 reps - Vertical Pulling

And that could work well for a long while.

Personally, I like to vary the intensity and volume over the course of a week though. It's a good idea to avoid stagnation and work the muscle using a variety of loading parameters. Alternate: Lift heavy with fewer reps, then lift lighter with more reps.

So that would be the core of the "program" for the time being. Once the core is established you can add in accessory stuff which might make it look something like:

Template A

5-min jog on treadmill
    Foam rolling and dynamic mobility stuff
    Squat - 3-5 sets of 4-6 reps
    Bench - 3-5 sets of 4-6 reps
    Row - 3-5 sets of 4-6 reps
    Single Leg DB Romanian Deadlifts - 2 sets of 8-12 reps
    Bicep Curls - 2 sets of 10-12
    Planks - 2-3 sets of 30-60 seconds

Template B

5-min jog on treadmill
    Foam rolling and dynamic mobility stuff
    Deadlift - 2-4 sets of 8-12 reps
    Overhead Press - 2-4 sets of 8-12 reps
    Chinup - 2-4 sets of 8-12 reps
    Single Leg Squats - 2 sets of 8-12 reps
    Tricep Extensions - 2 sets of 10-12 reps
    Pallof Presses - 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps

To fit this into a weekly format, you could do something like:

Monday: Template A
    Tuesday: Metabolic Work
    Wednesday: Template B
    Thursday: Metabolic Work
    Friday: Template A
    Saturday: Metabolic Work
    Sunday: Off

The following week everything would be the same, however the resistance training would be BAB instead of ABA.

And this is only a suggestion - again not written in stone at all! You might need more or less metabolic work. You may do more high intensity metabolic work in which case you'd likely want to group sessions of high intensity stuff on the same day to allow for more recovery. You may want to make an ABC template rather than an ABA-BAB template. The list goes on and on.

You could ride this out until you stop making gains, are burned out, mentally bored, etc. At that point, you could back off the weight lifted in each exercise which would let some fatigue dissipate, than start back at it focusing on progressing from that point. Or you could change your exercise selection, rep/set selection a bit, etc, etc. The possibilities are endless.
    Keep in mind there's really no point in changing things up as frequently as I see a lot of people doing. In fact, I'd argue that's counterproductive. I suppose it's a product of this muscle confusion principle that's floating around nowadays but you need some structure that you can progressively build upon in order to force adaptation. Without it, you're merely shooting in the dark.
    The magic isn't in the exercise. Your body doesn't know if you're doing a seated cable row, a standing barbell row, or some other variation. Granted, there are minor differences in each, but that's why I like to say no "program" is etched in stone as far as exercise selection goes.

Typically one way to move past a sticking point in progressive overload once one arises (which it assuredly will) is by changing up some of the exercise selections. With that in mind, it should be obvious that one row isn't superior over the other. They each have their own positives and negatives. Vary your exercise selection when the time is right which doesn't mean every single week like so many are akin to do.
    Any compound exercises that "fit the bill" of each given movement plane will suffice. Which are right? Depends on the individual, skill level, injuries, what you've been doing, equipment availability, etc, etc.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Why choose? Do both!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    So you had a back injury 2 years ago, fractured your tibia last year, and have spent the past 2 weeks in the hospital? What are you a stunt double or something? My first suggestion is to try to be more careful.

In all seriousness, have you tried physical therapy? Maybe you can stretch and strengthen those muscles so you can get back to using them normally again.
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have no idea the unfortunate luck I have. Seriously, I've had enough catastrophies to last a lifetime!!! I always ask "What's Next?"... but I really don't want to know, lol. and yes I have done PT for 5 weeks once I was completely healed from the fracture. I reached MMI so they really can't get any better than what they are. I can only try to strengthen them with exercise... but the pain associated with how it healed I can never get rid of. And PT for my back failed 3 separate times over a year and a half... which is why I have a lawsuit against my previous employer. I am still working on that... next step is another doctor's opinion to get referred to hopefully neuro or pain management. And yes this lawsuit has been dragging on for over 2 years. According to the insurance company, I reached MMI and I am fine with that injury. K, sure.

Uhm... I CANNOT do squats, if that helps anybody. I actually fractured my tibia doing jumping jacks and squats and I am in an extreme amount of pain when I do squats due to how my tendons/ligaments/muscles repaired after the injury. So that type of movement is a no-go. I can barely kneel, which makes cleaning and some aspects of work very difficult.

Can I omit the squats and sub something else? ... or...?
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I suffered temporary paralysis back in 2006 from a ruptured disk that somehow interfered with my spinal cord. After surgery, I was terrified to do anything except the physical therapy that I "had" to do to get better.

I started working with a trainer a couple of years ago, and we did a lot of Pilates. Made a world of difference with my back. Pilates really helps a lot with core strengthening. They are pretty low impact, so shouldn't be too harsh on your leg.

I remember when we started, I could barely do 2 reps of hamstring curls (the one where you lie on your back, feet on a fitness ball, go into plank position and rolls the ball under your butt using your legs only). After about 6 months, I could do 3 sets of 20 reps each. It works!
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I suffered temporary paralysis back in 2006 from a ruptured disk that somehow interfered with my spinal cord. After surgery, I was terrified to do anything except the physical therapy that I "had" to do to get better.

I started working with a trainer a couple of years ago, and we did a lot of Pilates. Made a world of difference with my back. Pilates really helps a lot with core strengthening. They are pretty low impact, so shouldn't be too harsh on your leg.

I remember when we started, I could barely do 2 reps of hamstring curls (the one where you lie on your back, feet on a fitness ball, go into plank position and rolls the ball under your butt using your legs only). After about 6 months, I could do 3 sets of 20 reps each. It works!
    I never thought of pilates!!! My gym has a beginner's class, a regular one, and even an advanced one. Maybe I can try the beginner's this upcoming week when I go back. I didn't want to go back to the gym this week since I didn't want to overdo it after also going back to work for the first time in 12 days... so maybe I can do the beginner's pilates on Tuesday! Ahhh thanks so much for that suggestion!