grumpy

Options
Hi all,
I have been doing pretty well with exercising and keeping my calories under the target ( so i am eating healthier and less than i used to before i started MFP a few weeks ago) but I am finding myself grumpy and irritable. Is anybody else experiencing something similar?

Any tips? Is it just because my body is getting used to it?

Replies

• Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    How is your rest/sleep level? Generally speaking, a solid exercise program will result in a deeper and more restful sleep, but if for some reason, something is disturbing that, that could attribute to some irritability.

Another possibility is "How much resistance/strength training are you doing?" I noted your exercise log contains alot of cardio, but nothing of note in the resistance training area. Cardio tends to boost mental alertness so that might play a factor if the above is true.

I find that when I'm physically tired (from muscular exertion) I'll crash hard when I go to bed and sleep solidly through the night.....in a similar manner as the Contract/Release muscle relaxation technique.
  • otgsmom
    otgsmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Could be if you are not eating enough calories, be sure your caloric intake is reasonable. Also try taking a good multi-vitamin if you don't already.
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    My personal experience has been that if I go too long between meals and/or don't get enough fat in my diet, I'm a grouch. Ideally I eat every 3 hours and include healthy fat in each meal. I'm interested to see what others say.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Yeah and to be honest this journey sucks! who doesn't want to eat twinkies and slam back pop? I sure do, but unfortunetly my body is built where I smell food and gain 10lbs. You're not doing what you WANT to do, you're doing what you need to do in order to be healthy and happy in the long term. It's going to suck when you see your spouse wolfing down chocolate cake, or your best friend is slamming back the beer...go ahead and be grumpy, but once you start to really notice the difference in your life style choices, you won't be grumpy any more. You'll be proud and confident. Changing the way you live is a struggle, but you'll come out smelling like roses:tongue:
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I do strength training..Its just part of athletic conditioning and body pump..so I log it as cardio..I don't log the individual strength training because it doesn't give additional calories and i do many different exercises.

Maybe its also because I feel people are saying oh don't worry you can eat this cookie, or this unhealthy meal.. feel like they don't get it
  • Jessique
    Options
    Make sure you are eating plenty!

I got grumpy when I first started losing weight because I was wasting my calories. Having 2 slices of jam on toast for breakfast wasn't tiding me over til lunch, having a low fat fry up of 200g mushrooms, tomatoes, egg and 2 lean rashers was less calories but more food and it fills me up for much longer. then I had enough calories for a light snack between breakfast and lunch.

Dotting my day with fruity snacks and home made soups* are also a good way to keep the calories down but hunger at bay

(*if you make them yourself they're a lot less naughty than the tins but way tastier than the low fat cuppa soups, you can make a batch and freeze them so you have a stash at hand)

Its all about making your calories go as far as possible - 1 After Eight is 40cals! or I could have a mug of options hot chocolate

This healthy eating kick is hard to get used to but you'll get there, don't give up!!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Maybe its also because I feel people are saying oh don't worry you can eat this cookie, or this unhealthy meal.. feel like they don't get it

You may feel cranky if you feel deprived. Maybe some sugar free jello or some sugar free pudding might help curb the deprivation feeling (providing you feel deprived.)
  • Jessique
    Options
    Make sure you are eating plenty!

By the way ~ I just relised you're from the states, sorry if the products I talked about are only in England
  • eleanoreb
    Options
    actually I am from Canada! but thanks for the advice!
  • eleanoreb
    Options
    Yeah and to be honest this journey sucks! who doesn't want to eat twinkies and slam back pop? I sure do, but unfortunetly my body is built where I smell food and gain 10lbs. You're not doing what you WANT to do, you're doing what you need to do in order to be healthy and happy in the long term. It's going to suck when you see your spouse wolfing down chocolate cake, or your best friend is slamming back the beer...go ahead and be grumpy, but once you start to really notice the difference in your life style choices, you won't be grumpy any more. You'll be proud and confident. Changing the way you live is a struggle, but you'll come out smelling like roses:tongue:

this is true. thank you for reminding me of this
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling and it suck. I hate being that grumpy (and I am sure my kids don't like it much more)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    A few years ago when I did a very low carb and very low fat diet plan I got very grumpy. I haven't had any issues while on MFP, but I am not avoiding entire food groups either. Have you cut out something that you used to eat all the time? Feeling a little deprived? Missing something? Work a little of what ever it is into your plan. You can have your cake and eat it too...as long as you plan for it!