Cheat Day?

Options
Hi, I am new to MFP and so far really like the program. I have a question with regards to having a weekly cheat day. Does anyone do this and if so, do you feel it delays your progress any?

Replies

• MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest a whole day... Maybe a meal. Some people say cheat meals help with kick starting metabolism... I don't know about that. Every time I have a cheat meal, I just end up getting an upset stomach!
  • Keevy333
    Keevy333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm new as well, but I lost 20 pounds before joining so I'll give you my answer.

I personally haven't designated a cheat day every week for myself. I try to stay on track as much as possible. BUT, If my fiancee wants to go out to eat somewhere for a date like thing, or there is something special we are celebrating, I give myself more room to splurge on food for that day. I still make mostly smart choices, but I don't get down on myself if I over indulge.

I don't think this has delayed my progress of losing. It actually in the long run is helping because I am less likely to want to eat everything in the kitchen everyday!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I also don't suggest a whole day, a cheat meal or entree maybe. but cheat meals only come once a month or every few weeks. those calories add up quick.
  • Figs318
    Figs318 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I actually do have cheat days, however that does not mean what i eat in that day is all unhealthy. To me my cheat day means that on that day if i want to have a burger or some pizza i can and not worry about it. Again its more of a cheat meal but i call it a cheat day because it can happen at any point in my day. Also if i want some bacon for breakfast and some pizza for dinnner i will do that too.... In terms of it setting me back, i can honestly say the only thing that sets me back is when i OVER indulge on the pizza or said burger with fries. Hope this helps a little.
  • nking404
    nking404 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat meal once a week I dont think it delays my progress whatsoever ( started at 250 currently 186) i just control my portions I love doughnuts and cakes and I also love breakfast so ill just grab a dougnut or two for breakfast fit it in my calorie budget and Im good for the week. Just make sure your at a calorie deficit and you will be fine. Good luck :-)!
  • iamspdd
    iamspdd Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I take a cheat day once a week. It works for me. I don't EVER cheat during the other days though.
    On my cheat days I eat all the things I have been craving. I feel the reason it works for me is because, although I have all the bad things I have been craving, I don't sit there and eat a carton of ice cream. Sure, I have a bowl of ice cream but I stop at the one bowl. I also may have some pizza and bread sticks for dinner. But not the WHOLE pizza and all the bread.
    It just gives me the extra "something" I personally need to get through the week of very careful eating and working out.

Down 32 pounds this way.
  • rubixcyoob
    rubixcyoob Posts: 395
    Options
    I tend to do "cheat" meals and drinks - going out for something with the other half and a few drinks/a night out (where I eat normally throughout the day and then drinks at night). Sometimes I do a "cheat" snack like popcorn or ice cream at the cinema etc.

I don't make it a whole day and I don't make it a planned weekly thing, just as and when these things turn up - if I've nothing planned for that week I don't go out my way to have a 'cheat', I can live and enjoy my food without it or include it into my calories.

I use quotations for the word cheat because I don't believe it is a cheat - I'm changing my lifestyle here, and these things occur in life. I'm not going to deny them, I'm going to enjoy it in moderation and responsibly.
    Also, some people may say it's a cheat, but if I had a few jack and diet cokes after dinner and it fitted my calories and macros, I don't call it a cheat, I call it relaxing.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat meal once a week I dont think it delays my progress whatsoever ( started at 250 currently 186) i just control my portions I love doughnuts and cakes and I also love breakfast so ill just grab a dougnut or two for breakfast fit it in my calorie budget and Im good for the week. Just make sure your at a calorie deficit and you will be fine. Good luck :-)!

nice and great job on the weight loss.
  • freckly3321
    freckly3321 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses!! I'm curious, for those of you that do allow yourself a day where you aren't so strict, do you still track your calories?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Today I have had a big brownie and a mixed drink. I'm probably going to have 2-3 more mixed drinks. I don't consider it a cheat day because I build these items into my calories for the day. I had a smaller breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus I will work out for 45 minutes instead of my normal 30.

Tomorrow I am going to an open bar event with endless appetizers. I will workout twice and have low-cal salad for lunch and mixed fruit for breakfast.

Everything unhealthy that you put in your mouth has a cost. That cost has to be paid for in healthy food choices and exercise or weight gained.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by "cheat day". If I'm going to eat a higher calorie meal than usual, I'll make room by eating less somewhere else in the day. If you mean a "screw it, I deserve a day off, and I'm not even going to log this bucket of buffalo wings"...no -- that bucket of wings offsets way too much of my weekly calorie deficit.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Talk about a Cheat Day...! I've been logging and exercising for 2 weeks now, and have lost 6.5 lbs. but today I just went hog wild (pun intended). I'm not sure why, other than the fact that I've been very strict with myself (no more than 1350 calories a day, 1200 most days) and just couldn't stand it any longer. I ate an extra 2000 calories today, two-thirds of it junk food - and I feel pretty awful about it. I did log it all, though, and am prepared for what the scale will tell me in the morning. I guess I'll just get back on the wagon tomorrow and try not to let that happen again.
  • NIKIATWORK
    NIKIATWORK Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses!! I'm curious, for those of you that do allow yourself a day where you aren't so strict, do you still track your calories?

I do have a cheat day every week (usually Sunday) and do still record it in my food journal. I feel like its important for me to keep track of them so that when I pull my reports to see how I've been doing over the last month, etc. its accurate. On the other side of it though I don't eat back all of my exercise calories during the week, so I don't beat myself up about it.... I figure it all evens out. :wink:
  • NIKIATWORK
    NIKIATWORK Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Talk about a Cheat Day...! I've been logging and exercising for 2 weeks now, and have lost 6.5 lbs. but today I just went hog wild (pun intended). I'm not sure why, other than the fact that I've been very strict with myself (no more than 1350 calories a day, 1200 most days) and just couldn't stand it any longer. I ate an extra 2000 calories today, two-thirds of it junk food - and I feel pretty awful about it. I did log it all, though, and am prepared for what the scale will tell me in the morning. I guess I'll just get back on the wagon tomorrow and try not to let that happen again.

That happens to me a lot too, try not to beat yourself up about it. Everybody falls off the wagon and thats fine..... you can't change what you did today, but you can decide to do better tomorrow!!! :flowerforyou:
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thank you Nikia! Forgiving and just moving on is about all I can do about it now, but it's wise advice anyway. Note to self: If those potato chips and onion dips and donuts aren't in the house, you won't eat them! Another note to self: Avoid the dairy aisle altogether. You do NOT need any more packages of cheese. =)
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I would be miserable if my food was on a schedule. Six days of cravings and misery followed by a day of gluttony that only makes you feel sick and guilty? No, thank you.

I don't have cheat days because I don't have strict days either. I keep good food in the house, avoid the stuff that isn't worth the calories (like chips and candy), and allow myself the stuff that *is* worth the calories (like homemade banana bread, spanikopita, and wine). Without crazy food restrictions, I don't feel deprived. I make room for it in my calories if I can. Occasionally, I go over, especially if I'm fueling up for a long run in the morning (like tonight). I care more about my running performance than my weight loss, so I'll choose fuel over a big deficit every time.

For me, the weight loss always comes. I continue to run long distance, some days I eat light because I'm not as hungry, other days I feel hungrier than usual from doing so much work. When I'm hungry, I eat, even if it makes me go over. When I want banana bread, I eat banana bread. Sometimes I lose slowly, other times it falls off. Sometimes I gained a couple pounds (like when our state was covered in ice for a month and I couldn't run outside). I've lost 36 lbs and I haven't felt the miserable deprivation of "the diet" yet. I'd rather feel content and lose slowly than feel miserable, lose weight quickly, and gain it all back because I can't maintain at that level.

It may not work for everyone, but it works for me.
  • klyn7788
    klyn7788 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Try to track your calories anyway, but don't beat yourself up over it. I think it helps in the long run to know how many calories are in the things you eat. If I figure out that something I love and want to eat has 1,200 calories, I'll order a salad or a bowl of soup first and try to eat a third of it. I still always eat it, but it helps put things in perspective for the next time.

I do have a cheat day every week (usually Sunday) and do still record it in my food journal. I feel like its important for me to keep track of them so that when I pull my reports to see how I've been doing over the last month, etc. its accurate. On the other side of it though I don't eat back all of my exercise calories during the week, so I don't beat myself up about it.... I figure it all evens out. :wink:
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have a "cheat day" every week/10 days. My boyfriend and I work shifts and are pretty much like ships passing in the night the whole time (our shift patterns clash badly). When we are both off and at home, we order something yummy, or go out for dinner and have more than a few drinks. We plan what we're going to have and look forward to it all week which keeps us eating clean. I gain a bit of water weight but it always comes off, and I don't try and exercise to make up for it or drastically reduce my calories to compensate. I do eat at around a 100 calorie deficit the rest of the week though, unless I'm having a tough shift or exercised more. I think if you can handle the inevitable water weight gain, cheat days CAN be incorporated into a balanced lifestyle - although I know it's not for everyone (for example, even on cheat days I have to stay away from milk chocolate, as soon as I start I can't stop. It's my only vice :-/ )
  • daniellembanks
    Options
    I suggest on cheat days to enjoy one of your favourite meals! but making a day of it makes it impossible to stay on track!
    I would have a cheat days... than another cheat day... than I would find myself off diet! This continues constantly so cheat days for myself are limited to one meal once a week.
  • Ortax
    Ortax Posts: 98
    Options
    I pretty much have a "cheat weekend" since I eat so little on the weekdays. I'm still in a calorie deficit for the week. And yes, I'm losing weight