TDEE calculation for me?

Options
Hi everyone,

Can someone give me a daily amount to eat based on the TDEE method?

On MFP I'm eating 1400 + exercise calories but I think I need to eat more.

I'm female.
5ft 6.5"
260 lbs
I'm exercising for 4.5hrs per week (squash 40 mins x 3, snowboard 1 hr, swimming/walking 1-2 hrs)
Age is 30

Looking to lose 100lbs, lost 11 so far.

Exercise calories burned from HRM is around 2500 calories each week, if that makes any difference.

Can someone be kind enough to give me a set figure as I'm not losing much in the last week or so and I want to make sure I've got this right.

Thanks in advance,
GG

Replies

• Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Here is a link to a great calculator so you can tweak your numbers and find out what works for you. Knowledge is power, you don't get that by having someone else do the work for you. I'm not saying this in a mean way, but I think it's much more meaningful when you figure out what your BMR and TDEE is for you.

ETA: You may need to play around with the numbers a bit to find out what truly works for you. It took me a few weeks to get my numbers dialed in.
  • Woodster83
    Woodster83 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I did work it out, I'm just not confident I've got it right.
  • Woodster83
    Options
    BMR 2075
    TDEE 3216

Calories to lose 2lbs is 2412.

It seems like a lot of calories?
  • ripzone13
    ripzone13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    BMR 2075
    TDEE 3216

Hey! I am also just starting this. I have been eating 1200 calories, just upped it to 1350 and going to start eating all of my exercise calories back. According to my calculations my BMR is 1769 and my TDEE-20% is 2194. SO- i'm going to start with eating around 1769 and prob work up to eating 2194. It seems high to me too, but I think we're used to seeing such low number like 1200/1400. I just friended someone who has helped me a lot thus far and she suggested going to eating more to weigh less board on MFP. There is lots of good info, I've been scowering it for a few days. Best of luck! Oh my stats so you can compare
    225lbs
    5'3
    I workout 5-6/week (30-60 minutes at a time)
  • karmasays
    karmasays Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I put in the info as you requested.

I set your activity to desk job with little exercise with a fat loss at 15% (a more reasonable/realistic goal).

BMR: 1915
    TDEE: 2299
    15% calorie reduction: 1954

Then I would just eat back half to all of your exercise calories.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I do the MFP calculation + exercise calories method, but it ends up being about the same thing.

MFP gives me 1790 per day (I'm 5'6", 203, 36 down so far), and I burn on average about 2000 cal per week. My TDEE is 2521, -20% 2016.

I went back over the last 7 days and averaged out my calories - 2003 per day, so right on the nose.

I've been averaging 1-1.5 pounds per week since late September, and that includes taking most of December "off" from counting and not really exercising until about 8 weeks ago.

You'd be surprised how much you can eat and still lose weight, as long as you are meticulous about your tracking.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I do the MFP calculation + exercise calories method, but it ends up being about the same thing.

MFP gives me 1790 per day (I'm 5'6", 203, 36 down so far), and I burn on average about 2000 cal per week. My TDEE is 2521, -20% 2016.

I went back over the last 7 days and averaged out my calories - 2003 per day, so right on the nose.

I've been averaging 1-1.5 pounds per week since late September, and that includes taking most of December "off" from counting and not really exercising until about 8 weeks ago.

You'd be surprised how much you can eat and still lose weight, as long as you are meticulous about your tracking.

I was just going to say MFP method usually equals TDEE-20%...

and yes log accurately which means get a digital scale and log every bite and choose the correct entries...(make sure the nutrional values make sense)
  • Woodster83
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I'm going to gradually increase my calories to the 2000 mark then.. Those who are doing MFP plus calories burned, why activity level are you set at? I do like tracking my calories burned, but I'm set at sedentary 1400 calories, so I'm guessing you're not set at that?

Eating more sounds great, I was ok for ages but now I've been getting more hungry more often.

Going to up it 100 calories a week, as advised by another member, and see how I do..
  • Woodster83
    Options

I set your activity to desk job with little exercise with a fat loss at 15% (a more reasonable/realistic goal).

That sounds good yes, just seems so many calories!

I'll have no problem eating them though, just feels wrong! I guess the scales will let me know either way :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Well, you've got two months of data on how your body actually works (rather than how an online calculator predicts the body of the average person with your stats should work). I'm assuming you started toward the beginning of January, so these numbers assume 8 weeks to lose 11 pounds.

1400 kcal/day X 7 = 9800
    9800 + 2500 (b/c you said you were eating your exercise calories and burning 2500 a week from exercis) = 12300 kcal consumed per week
    11 lbs lost in roughly two months = about 1.375 (one and an eighth) lbs per week = about 4800 kcal deficit per week
    12300 + 4800 = 17,100 kcal per week for maintenance, or 2443 per day for maintenance

2443 - 10% = about 2200 kcal/day
    2443 - 15% = about 2075 kcal/day
    2443 - 20% = about 1950 kcal/day

ETA: These calculations already account for your exercise level, so you would not eat any exercise calories back.
  • Woodster83
    Options
    Ok that's a good point! Thanks for the calculations!

I started 7 weeks ago, so today I should have lost 12lbs, but I had lost 11, then 1 up today on weigh in day.

So 7 weeks and 10lbs.

I want to lose 2lbs a week on average.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    2lbs per week is hard to sustain long term. I've had weeks where I've lost 2 lbs (or more), but as a set goal it can be hard to maintain.
    I was just going to say MFP method usually equals TDEE-20%...

and yes log accurately which means get a digital scale and log every bite and choose the correct entries...(make sure the nutrional values make sense)
    Nice to know I am estimating my activity multiplier correctly then :wink:
  • Woodster83
    Options
    Maybe I'm just expecting too much then?

I've reset my goal to 1.5lbs a week, which gives me some more calories now.

I'll just have to suck it up and be patient!

Thanks for all the help x
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    BMR 2075
    TDEE 3216

Your calories to lose 2 Lbs per week would be 2,216...that would be 1000 calorie deficit from your TDEE. 2,412 is TDEE - 25%...roughly 1.5 Lbs per week.

What are you typically eating with MFP including your exercise calories?

I would suggest maybe you just stick with what you're doing...the method should really not make any difference...it's pretty much 6 of 1 for the most part. You're not going to have linear losses regardless of method. This is a very long process, not an overnight one. It is very cliche...but this is a marathon, not a sprint. It took me the better part of 9 months to lose about 40 Lbs...as a matter of perspective, it took me the better part of a decade to put those pounds on.

Just a comparison of the methods with my numbers...my MFP to lose 1 Lb per week was 1850...plus exercise I generally ate around 2100 - 2200 calories. My TDEE is roughly 2700 calories...my TDEE - 20% to lose about 1 lb per week was 2,160. As you can see...pretty much 6 of 1
  • Woodster83
    Options
    Thanks for the reply cwolfman13, that makes a lot of sense.

Typically I was netting 1400 a day, which I think must be too low?

So I'm aiming for a net goal of 1650 now, and see how I go.. then try and up it again in a week or so?

Not sure if I'm doing it right, I feel like I'm eating a lot, but then I'm burning a lot more than normal too!

Just feels wrong in a way.. I guess I'm used to eating a lot less and being hungry to lose weight, when it's not the best way.
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply cwolfman13, that makes a lot of sense.

Typically I was netting 1400 a day, which I think must be too low?

So I'm aiming for a net goal of 1650 now, and see how I go.. then try and up it again in a week or so?

Not sure if I'm doing it right, I feel like I'm eating a lot, but then I'm burning a lot more than normal too!

Just feels wrong in a way.. I guess I'm used to eating a lot less and being hungry to lose weight, when it's not the best way.

It depends on what you're doing. When I started on here it was advised I go on 1200 cals per day. I'm 5' 4" and already within a healthy weight range. 1200 is so close to my BMR, it felt like an uphill struggle. Because I was a bit out of shape it was OK at first, but as I did higher intensity workouts I found my performance dipped so I wasn't getting the full benefit of the cardio anyway. Bit of a waste of time (except for teaching me portion control). Obviously if you're doing more activity then you need to eat more, but as I said it depends on what you're doing. I'll spare you the story of my conversion to heavy lifting (especially as there's loads of threads on here about exactly that), but you WILL burn more calories while resting than if you just do cardio. And you can eat a lot more. So it's a win-win decision for me, to be honest!
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Then that is not TDEE method...with TDEE you don't eat exercise calories back it is flat rate of calories everyday.

TDEE is a good method for those who have consistent exercise or lift weights (hard to get burns on that)
  • greymane98
    greymane98 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Odds are that if you think this is a lot of calories compared to what you normally eat, you aren't doing a good enough job tracking your intake and/or are overestimating your exercise calories burned.

I didn't really start having good success until I had a scale (and used it) instead of eyeballing and bought a heart rate monitor to use to track burn instead of relying on MFP (or worse, the exercise machines) to tell me what I burned.

Be honest with your intake though....that is where most people "lie" to themselves...and if you are going to do that, why even bother with the effort?
  • Woodster83
    Options
    Greymane98,

Thanks for the comments, but a quick look at my diary and you will see that I measure every last gram of all food I eat and I use a HRM to log all exercise, seems a little unfair of you to comment in such a dismissive way. My intake is 100% honest, it would be a bit stupid of me not to log everything really. It's not a lot of calories compared to what I usually eat, it's a lot of calories to lose 2lbs a week, or seems to be.

As for lifting weights, is this a good way to help me get a better body? The weight on the scales is annoying me, but overall I want a better look, and not to be skinny fat.

I read that you can't build muscle whilst at a calorie deficit, so presumed cardio was the way to go, rather than weights?

Thanks for the input!
  • SezxyStef
    Options

As for lifting weights, is this a good way to help me get a better body? The weight on the scales is annoying me, but overall I want a better look, and not to be skinny fat.

I read that you can't build muscle whilst at a calorie deficit, so presumed cardio was the way to go, rather than weights?

Thanks for the input!

Lifting weights is a great way to get a better body.

The weight on the scale is actually irrelevant for most who lift...

And no you can't build muscle while in a deficet (few exceptions but you aren't one) but you can maintain the muscle you have.

If you don't do some sort of resistence training and eat enough protien the weight you are losing is fat and muscle...

I lift weights 3x a week and I weigh 161lbs and wear a size 7...just for perspective. There are tonnes of threads with pics of women who do lift as well.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

check the link above out...