HALP! I've plateaued and I can't get up!

Options
I just got into heavy weight lifting *flexes huge bulky muscles* a few weeks ago and seem to have hit a plateau. Being still relatively new to these things, I'm not quite sure how to best overcome this. Any suggestions are very much appreciated, thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    What program are you following? What lifts are you having trouble with and how long have you plateaued?
  • bachampion04
    bachampion04 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Oh snap Em trying to get that mooscles! Lol just messing but there is no real plateau when it comes to weight lifting...More like your muscles havent gotten strong enough to pump up to the higher weight.

First off...you will need a workout partner or spotter for sure to pump up that extra rep.

Also, a really good exercises to help with curls is 21s

What me and a buddy normally did was we would do our normal sets with our current weight then we would do one more set with the next highest weight and pumped out either 1 or 2 good reps just to shock out muscles and getting them ready for whats next.

Got a few more tips but i dont want to flood your forum topic...just pop me a message and i'll work you up a routine one time :-)
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Kind of a hodge podge of programs, but I try to do 2 days a week focusing on upper body and 2 days on lower body with a fifth day of more core-focused exercises and cardio. It's been about a week and half, and I'm finding I can barely manage to replicate the same sets/reps with a given weight from before. Specifically squats, split squats, and lat pulldowns I believe are the ones I've noticed it the most.
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't know too much about heavy lifting but I have seen many times people on here will lose a lot of inches when lifting heavy but most times their weight doesn't move much. Is that what you meant by plateau (no weight change)?
  • ModernNerd
    Options
    Oh snap Em trying to get that mooscles! Lol just messing but there is no real plateau when it comes to weight lifting...More like your muscles havent gotten strong enough to pump up to the higher weight.

First off...you will need a workout partner or spotter for sure to pump up that extra rep.

Also, a really good exercises to help with curls is 21s

What me and a buddy normally did was we would do our normal sets with our current weight then we would do one more set with the next highest weight and pumped out either 1 or 2 good reps just to shock out muscles and getting them ready for whats next.

Got a few more tips but i dont want to flood your forum topic...just pop me a message and i'll work you up a routine one time :-)

PM sent, thank you sir :flowerforyou:
  • ModernNerd
    Options
    I don't know too much about heavy lifting but I have seen many times people on here will lose a lot of inches when lifting heavy but most times their weight doesn't move much. Is that what you meant by plateau (no weight change)?

not quite, I'm not looking to lose weight at all and I'm pretty close to where I want to be inch-wise. I'm trying to build strength right now, and I'm finding I can't do some of the same movements now that I could two weeks ago with a given weight
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I started the Starting Strength program about 2 months ago and have progressed at least 5-10 pounds a week on squats, bench, deadlifts and overhead press. These movements are the staple compound movements, will get you the most strength and mass development and are quite effective as cardio (your heart will be racing by the time you are done)!!! Also, make sure to keep protein levels up, the consensus for lower BF individuals like yourself seems to be 1g of protein per pound so around 100g of protein will help maintain. Every workout, you should be striving to up the weight (2.5 pound plates are great for this!) or do an extra rep or two. Once you can do more than 3 sets of 5 at a specific weight, move the weight up. Good luck! :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Possible to provide more details on this several weeks old plateau?
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm just hitting failure now so I'm interested in people's answers too.
  • oceanbreeze27
    oceanbreeze27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hitting failure is awesome! It means you've maxed out your muscles' capabilities and that's OKAY. I would personally suggest setting a quantitative goal (i.e. 12 curls with a 20-pound weight). When you can do that rather easily, increase your weight. Your body is getting used to the new strain you're putting on it. Keep pushing forward and you'll fall off the edge of the plateau soon enough. Good luck!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Kind of a hodge podge of programs, but I try to do 2 days a week focusing on upper body and 2 days on lower body with a fifth day of more core-focused exercises and cardio. It's been about a week and half, and I'm finding I can barely manage to replicate the same sets/reps with a given weight from before. Specifically squats, split squats, and lat pulldowns I believe are the ones I've noticed it the most.
    It's normal to hit plateaus and deload, working your way back up again, but if you are hitting them that quickly, it sounds like you started at too high of a starting weight. All of the beginner programs I have seen have you starting at low weights to get the form down first and working your way up every time.
  • ModernNerd
    Options
    Thanks everyone for giving me a hand! :cauliflowerforyou: